Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
OctoberGwen

Visions of Autumn V

Haitian vetiver, tea leaf, Himalayan cedar, and apricot rind.

I think this is a blend that needs some age to smooth it out and bring out the subtler tea leaf and apricot rind, because all I got was VETIVER (which I love) and cedar. Oddly, I was also getting a coffee vibe, and I have no idea where that was coming from.

I agree with OctoberGwen in saying this blend needs some serious aging to let everything blend together and be cohesive.

In the decant I get all vetiver all the time and literally smell nothing else (not that I mind because I love vetiver) but I just wanted to smell more. On the skin though it's still all vetiver for just about a short moment. As it becomes to dry a little the vetiver tames itself but not too much and this underlying sweetness begins to emerge and what I am assuming is either the tea or the apricot, come to think of it it's probably apricot because I can smell a barely there fruit quality. It's really nice but it's very odd and just different. I get no cedar at all and I would of liked too.

Will put this away for a few weeks and see what happens.

Edited by Haltija

Wet, hello vetiver! and citrus (?). I either have come to enjoy vetiver or this is a very special blend because it's soft, warm and smoky (no stinky, burnt smell). I'm not getting any tea or cedar. If I huff the place where testing, I get a little whiff of apricot, but it's more of an afterthought.

Dry, all I get is vetiver. It's becoming more of the heavy, stinky variety as it dries, knocking everything down, overpowering until it becomes a single note. Maybe aging will mellow it out, because I rather enjoyed where this journey began.

First sniff – I get the vetiver, but after that this is quite an unusual scent. I'm not sure if in a good way or not. Sometimes dark notes with a fruit are nauseating to me, but this is more interesting than gross. This is the winner of the most unexpected scent out of this group.

Skin testing – goes on smelling as it does in the imp, which is to say a bit confusing. There is an aspect to this that feels like if you sniff too deeply it will singe your nose hairs. This vetiver is potent and pungent. I feel like I can smell the apricot in there, but it's a lost cause.

I agree with everyone above. If you don't like this scent at first, toss it in a drawer for 2 weeks and try again, or you'll be missing out!

The first time I tried this it was not for me, to put it mildly. Something about the notes together put out a "burnt coffee" vibe (and I hate coffee) in general- syrupy and heavy and unpleasant. When I opened my decant to try for the second time 2 weeks later, I was hit by the same smell and recoiled a bit, but soldiered on for a second test so I could put it in the reject pile. It's totally different the same time around. It's sweet apricot overlaid with the woodiness of the veviter and the cedar, surprisingly cool and autumnal- like walking outside in a park. There's still a hint of the smell I don't like lingering in the background, but I suspect that will fade with more aging.

I'm having trouble connecting with some of the autumn scents because they use the same autumn/holiday/spice scent profile as, say, a department store (though of course they do it much, much better) and it's hard to shake the scent associations. This smells very autumnal (a hint of fruit, spice and smoke) but since it doesn't use any of the usual suspects (cinnamon, apple, pumpkin, etc.) I find I can enjoy it more.

I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying this considering how it went the first time around!

A warm woody vetiver with a burnt sienna feel. This tangles well with my synesthesia and reminds me of sunny October afternoons. There's something both sleepy and slightly foreboding, and the cedar has a school room feel. I love how evocative this scent is, and can definitely see it going into the night-time rotation.

Ooh, and a bit of pomegranate pith in the wet phase

Edited by somacat

Very strong vetiver on first application, as the note is wont to do. Fine by me, but I like how it gets more complex as it dries.

It softens a lot and the fruity/herbal side comes out. I get fresh tea leaves, a delicately sweet apricot, hints of wood.

It makes me think of fresh, damp earth with a very subtle layer of fruitiness.

Kind of like Awabi Divers but less sweet and more earthy.

Edited by Balame

On wet, this is a heavy bacon smoke vetiver. It dries to a smoky apricot with a touch of cedar and reminds me at this stage to the March Hare. Except with woods, and less foodie.

Fall March Hare with woods.

Vetiver the most obvious note, for sure. It fades pretty fast, and it smells quite grassy and vegetal. More like dried grasses than anything else. Not picking up any other notes.

it smells like a much drier version of Awabi Divers, a recent Shunga. so dry, in fact, that it gave me a wicked headache and I had to scrub it off. I love all the ingredients so I'm not sure where it went wrong. boo :(

Edited by ModderRhu