Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
OctoberGwen

The Edge of Doom

Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

The night flight from Tangier: drops of spilled blood color the antiseptic, bland, plastic paleness of the fuselage, with violet leaf for longing, rosemary for reminiscences, and black opoponax for apprehension.

I...don't even know where to begin with this one. It smells exactly, exactly the way it's supposed to, given the description. Some will probably find it too medicinal, but rosemary is one of my plant totems and I absolutely love the smell of it. I didn't think the 'bland plastic' note would be at all pleasant, but to me it's reading as 'clean' here. I definitely get the violet leaf and a whisper of the opoponax.

Really, though, this scent is all about the sum of its parts. In a word: wow.

Doom apparently smells alot like celery to me. So I get carrot, violet, rosemary, and something that smells very green. The sum of the entire parts end up as celery.

So, green, watery, crisp.

Hmm, on me this smells like...celery! What is that? I guess it's the green/herbaceous vibe from the violet leaf and rosemary, playing tricks with my nose. On the other hand, I have no idea what a fuselage ought to smell like.

A surprising, eye-opening, and somewhat unsettling scent...suitable, considering its name.

Wow, this is a dead ringer for 'Raid', a smell I absolutely loathe. Smells toxic and poisonous. Right up there with one of the worst bpals I've ever tried.

this is more of a scent experience to me than a perfume or cologne. it really does evoke the smell of airplane plastic at night when you're flying and most of your fellow passengers are either asleep or lost in their headphones. quiet, eery, alone. plastic trays and plates and cups and plastic seatbacks and overhead bins. plastic wrappers on the food. plastic laminate on the safety card. recycled air. fake material blankets. not things that I like, but yet I love that there is this perfume that evokes them so perfectly (personally not getting much blood).

I never want to run out of this weird little creature, but think my imp might last for years, as a little does the trick and it's not something i reach for often. this isn't a scent that is easy to layer with other (i sense the celeriac note mentioned above more against other scents than when i wear this puppy solo.)

I'm sad this isn't getting more love or appreciation. it's a strange and precious and rather curious thing. thanks for making and sharing this, Beth!

Edited by annemathematics

I like The Edge of Doom. It's unique and the site description is spot on. It's the clean plastic cleaned with commercial disinfecting cleaner, the recycled cabin air, and all the other notes just beneath that envronmental scent.

Like the other OLLAs they are blended so seamlessly. You can't tell where one of the notes ends and the other begins. You end up just smelling everything together and separate at the same time. It's weird. I would describe it as "morphing," just that you can hone in on different facets with each sniff.

Is it something I would put on to feel sexy or to go out for the night? No.

But I appreciate the scent's ability to put you on the plane with Eve and will reach for it from time to time when I am looking for something unique.

Kind of a bitter, watery green, and I definitely get the carrot and celery impressions that others have mentioned. This isn't really a veggie scent to me, though (I like the strange Planting Moon type scents), because it has a sharp, chemical undertone to it that makes me think of disinfectant. It's also sharply floral, but reminds me more of a perfumey white floral than violet. Sharp and unpleasantly bitter on me.

This is a peculiar scent. It's very pale and plasticky, hitting me as a very beige scent at first, but there's something underneath that feels darker and muddled green. It's not really very pleasant, but as a person who has been on a whole lot of airplanes over the years, it hits right in that spot of clean and slightly off-putting that being on one often has. It's not a scent for the place you've been or the place you're going, it's that odd, liminal perfume of the non-place that air travel represents. I get a hint of rosemary, green and prickling my nose, and the faintest hint of almost grassy, slightly cucumber-y violet leaf. There's a saltiness to it, almost sweatiness, that starts appearing in later drydown that I find weirdly appealing. The opoponax, I suspect, has melded itself to the bottom of the bottle, as there's a thick opaque layer that won't budge no matter how much I roll or shake it, and the decant I have has similar sludge. This is definitely unique in my BPAL collection. It feels closer to a niche-style perfume. No throw to speak of, lasts a short time at strength but then pops up mysteriously hours later. Fascinating.