Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Undine Comes Into the House of the Fishermen

Undine Comes Into the House of the Fishermen, Henri Fuseli.
Egyptian musk, kelp, white plum, sea buckthorn berry, matcha tea, champaca flower, and Moroccan jasmine.

Undine is a very salty, very watery floral. I get the kelp/sea buckthorn aquatics, with hints of white flower like the jasmine, with a hint of aquatic musk (hello egyptian musk).

It ends up on me smelling like a really nice aquatic, manly cologne.

In vial: Foamy plum and kelp. Clean, aquatic.

If you missed out on 'Kiyohime Changes From A Serpent' from the Salon line, definitely try this! They are very similar.

In the imp: Baby powder.

On my skin wet: Baby powder. Really where is that coming from? Now it has morphed into salty baby powder. And morphed further into masculine baby powder, oddness.

On my skin dry: If there was ever such a thing as grandmotherly masculine baby powder this is what it would smell like. Not what I had expected at all, I'm seriously confused by this scent.

I am both excited and terrified to try this scent. Excited because I love all but one of the notes. Terrified because that one note is jasmine and we have a nasty history. Namely, it generally turns to cat pee. I have seven cats and I am quite familiar with that "cat pee" smell, and jasmine does a dead ringer for it on me. However, I've had some luck with it behaving in certain few blends so I shall remain hopeful.

Imp: High-end perfume.

Wet: Salty aquatic, definitely floral though the jasmine hasn't misbehaved yet so I'm really only getting general "floral" feel. Light, white florals though, not overpowering. This is a calm inlet where the water foams around your feet but the water is too gently lapping to have waves.

Dry: JASMINE JASMINE JASMINE. It's actually not cat pee though, but it's strongly old lady floral with no hint of aquatic or other notes left. Pity.

For the first hour or so, it is strong milled soap, of the fancy kind. Dries to something slightly fruity, but still soapy, kind of like a berry body shop soap with something herbal mixed in. Not really my thing.

This is slippery saltwater on my skin, immediately evoking a mermaid, and sweetens up over time. No baby powder here!

ITI: It's just a little aquatic, but warmly so with the white plum, champaca flower, and musk.

Wet: Holy Aquatic, Batman! The kelp really amps as soon as it touches my skin, so I have to fight the argue to scrub my skin. However, after just a few seconds, the musk and chapaca flower rush back to the forefront.

Dry: Slightly kelp-centered still, but I get the sea buckthorn berry, and white plum. It's better dried, and while a tolerable aquatic, it's not something I plan on keeping.

I was curious about the plum in this, but the Egyptian musk and jasmine come off as a very perfumey, sharp, cheap smelling floral. Dries down with a bit of soapiness. I scrubbed this one off after only a half hour, as it was giving me a headache. Doesn't smell fruity to me at all.

Imp: A strong, salty soap, or nice marine dryer sheets. Bit of jasmine underneath.

Wet: Summery, salty aquatic with a hint of sweet fruit and lovely florals. Champaca is doing its usual lovely thing here, smelling like a gorgeous, lightly plummy incense. This actually reminds me of The Sea Foams Blood, but with jasmine, champaca and plum underneath the aquatic.

Dry: Sea breeze that actually works on me (rare!), champaca, delicate sweet florals and iced plum wine. Man, Beth is killin' it with these Pickmans, this is absolutely gorgeous!

Saw this on someone's list who I did a decant circle I participated in and decided to give it a whirl because I am desperate for anything resembling my beloved Sunrise with Sea Monsters. This is a lot of jasmine on me, but a sea-worthy jasmine - picture a regal Mermaid Queen. It's pretty heady jasmine on me at first, but calms down after about an hour, then it's more of a gently, breezy, seaside floral. I can't decide if I want to keep it because the jasmine is pretty overpowering at first - but such is my battle with jasmine. I really like it in small doses and once it calms down, but getting there can be tricky.