Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Dante and Virgil on the Ice of Kocythos

Dante and Virgil on the Ice of Kocythos, Henry Fuseli.
A sea of ice with white tea leaf, eucalyptus, white ginger, bleached stone, and hellsmoke.

Oh man, this has the same slushy ice note that Ice Queen and Monastery in the Mountains, but with white tea and brimstone at its base. Its icy on wet, and then dries to a much warmer winter blend.

FUUN!

It might not sound like it from the description, but "fun" is actually the word to describe this one. It's spiced snow! Frozen eucalyptus and glittering ice, but spiked with ginger root and hot incense resins. So it's not sweet, Christmas-y bakery spice at all. The ginger is raw, the hellsmoke hellish. But it combines into something with these perfect hot/cold layers that I really enjoy; neither side overwhelms the other. I really, really like it.

In bottle, wet: Wet wipes? Like the kind I use to clean my bathroom. Kind of lemony and astringent.

Drydown: Grape juice??? Also, the throw on this is STRONG.

5 min: Fizzy - a little bit of the ginger coming out, very sweet. Canada Dry ginger ale (or another syrupy sweet one, not a spicy Vernor's).

10 min +: Drier, some of the "bleached stone" aspect coming out, but still bright and sweet overall. Still no sign of eucalyptus or hellsmoke. Definitely getting some of the warm/cold feeling others have described.

Overall, too sweet for me, but very interesting - quite a morpher.

My decant of Ice of Kocythos is mostly ice, white tea and eucalyptus. Surprisingly, this actually isn't turning soapy on me (which I expected from the 'ice'), but the tea and cold menthol-eucalyptus does smell clean and slightly medicinal to me. As it dries down, it does seem to get sweeter, but I can't really pick out the ginger or spice that others have mentioned. This one is light and fades quick on me for some reason...

Imp: Soap! Sharp, overwhelming soap (Dove specifically) with ginger, sulphur, and a very astringent citrus note.

Wet: Slushy, minty snow and bright lemon vodka, very much like Snowblind but a little less sweet. Definitely an element of soap (the white tea?), but with a lot of very interesting stone and smoke background scents going on. Complex and interesting and much, much more adult than Snowblind, even though they share that same lemon-mint-slushee top note.

Dry: This ends up exactly like a less annoying, milder Snowblind with nice hints of incense smoke and rock dust. It's quite lovely, but not the sort of thing I usually wear.

Imp: Icy, clean.

Wet: Ice and smoke, you'd think those would be mutually exclusive but I'm definitely getting ice backed by fire.

Dry: Cloying soapy mess, making me want to gag. Gonna have to wash this one off :(

Lovely. I'm so impressed with some of these Pickman's. Even if I don't like them, there is something unique about the blend as well as being well blended. This one is kind of cologney at first, but them turns into a 'cold' slightly floral blend a touch of tea. There is an ice element that is making me thirsty, along with lemon tea and watery floral. I like this, but don't know how often I'd wear it, as it is maybe a tad bit too cologney on me, though it is cologney in a good way if that makes sense. Nice!

ITI: Oh, that's fizzy and sweet, like ice wine infused with fresh ginger and eucalyptus This might get a little soapy as I get that impression from the notes, but I really hope not.

Wet: It's still sweetly icy with spicy ginger and eucalyptus It's fizzy and exuberant.

Dry: It does get just a touch soapy, but honestly, the combination of ice, ginger, and eucalyptus and now hints of tea are just a wonderful combination. I'm sad that I didn't pick up a bottle of this.

Source: Old decant circle in 2012 I neglected to test

Preconception: Honestly don't know what I was thinking getting this one. I assume it's going to be death-by-ozone.

Imp : Super clean, white, fresh.
Skin: Same. Extra clean. Ozone-esq "ice sea". Something gingery popping in.
Drydown: Warms up a little pit. I SWEAR there's something peach in here. There's this little touch of sweetness that perks up, with the soapy slush it almost comes across as floral even though it's not. It seems ever so slightly salty.
Verdict: Bright, light, ginger-fizzy ozone scent. Interesting for those that like the ozone/sea tang.