Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Masquerade

Okay, so I know Masquerade is patch/orange blossom, but, sniffing blind, I totally though I was smelling the perfume version of Hedonism BO (it’s ylang ylang with the patch there, + citrus & myrrh). Makes sense, and I recommend the pair to anyone who loves heady florals and rich & woodsy, not funky, patchouli. 
Orange blossom and patchouli takes turns leading the scent on my skin, and I never really get ambergris, yet the carnation’s spice peeks out in the later drydown. 
I don’t think I’ll keep this imp, yet I’m glad to know it exists, in the case I get really into sultry floral blends. 

The patchouli takes over much of the scent once dried, so I'm missing the orange blossom and spicy carnation I was picking up wet.  I’m having trouble, in fact, picking up anything other than that.  Granted, it’s a really intense, deep, non soil-laden patchouli that I absolutely adore, so Masquerade gets my vote for the #tournamentofunderdogs #underdogs.

Carnation stars here, in all its spicy glory. The orange blossom is bright, and the patchouli is earthy. This blend is all about light and shadow. It's rich and warm, but not heavy. Orange blossom can be a little bitter, but it's well anchored in the smooth carnation/ambergris base and just adds a whiff of floral bite, while the patchouli provides a hint of grit.

This also benefited tremendously from about a month of age -- if at first try, it is sharp and unbalanced, it's worth coming back to it when it has a chance to mellow. The loud notes calm down and let all the components shine.

Masquerade: bitter patchouli, a flower or two hanging around.
On Skin: wet: something like Angostura bitters mixed with patchouli, hint of orange blossom. Something spicy in the background.
dry: Deep, rich clouds of patchouli, edge of something bitter but not unpleasant. Carnations keep falling on my head.

Definitely something that would be worn at night, perhaps on the prowl wrapped in leather and corsetry, brandishing a short whip.

I don't know what ambergris smells like, but based on this scent I'm gonna say magic. I love orange blossom like any California native, and this is the kind of patchouli that makes my eyes roll back in my head, but there is something Extra going on with this that I just cannot put my finger on and I deduce that ambergris must be it. This is a scent for when you do not intend to explain yourself to anybody. 

I'm not mad that I get that Phantom of the Opera song stuck in my head every time I wear it, either.

It's funny how different people get very different impressions. What attracted me to Masquerade first was patchouli and carnation (big fan of both), but on my skin it's mostly orange blossom, with other notes balanced pretty equally. I get some lovely ambergris if I really concentrate, and the other two blend into one spicy dark whole. My bottle is now seven years old, and it only gets better with every year. It's dark, sultry and really potent. A scent that takes no prisoners.

Masquerade:

Wet: Patchouli with just a hint of orange. I love it so far. As it begins to dry down, I start to get the carnation and ambergris, but not overtly.

Dry: The orange blossom is a little more forward on dry-down, but still balanced beautifully with the ambergris, carnation, and patchouli. It also practically vanished on me when it was dry, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I’m okay with some of the perfumes I wear being very subtle and only detectable at very close range. So interesting to me, because usually patchouli really shines on my skin and has great staying power.

After 30 minutes: It has fully settled into a floral that’s just slightly sweet, and only detectable if you’re very close to my skin. Although sweet and floral fragrances aren’t ones I usually go for because they tend to read too girly for my tastes, I like the way the ambergris and patchouli give this one a more gender-neutral edge. I’ll order a full-size bottle of this one.

So simple, so delicate, so elegant. The patchouli is raw & rooty smelling. The orange blossom takes lead however, & then some gentle spice from the carnation. Needless to say, the ambergris amps up everything here. I think I would like to wear this coming Spring.

Extremely similar to Lush Karma. Sniffing them side by side Masquerade is definitely heavier on the patchouli, making it earthier and almost fruity. The ambergris adds a bit of muskiness. 

Basically what it says on the tin. Lush's Karma but in a head shop.

The patchouli is a constant in this, and I keep getting alternate swiffs of orange blossom and carnation. Like, in one sniff, it's all patchouli and orange blossom. In the next sniff, it's all patchouli and carnation. A very intriguing scent that does indeed make me keep trying to sniff at it. But as it dries, the patchouli becomes more and more dominant and, well, funky, and that nice clean orange blossom and carnation has a harder time making themselves apparent.

~~frimp review~~

bpal at it again with the patchouli. on wet, it is patchouli central. I can definitely immediately pick up the orange blossom as a little hit on citrus. it's a bit musky and slightly sweet from the florals. maybe I'm just hungry but it smells kind of like froot loops in milk but less sweet. I'm certain that's thanks to the orange blossom. the orange really comes through after a few minutes and it's a musky, patchouli citrus.

once dried, it smells more or less the same. orangey patchouli once again. it's nice, but not really one I'd want to upgrade to a full bottle.