Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heavenlyrabbit

Muse of the Night

A soft, resinous indigo musk with black currant, ylang ylang, Tunisian jasmine, opoponax, rose otto, benzoin, Tahitian vanilla bean, and opium tar.

In the bottle: All the notes have sprinkled on some fresh roses. Nice.

Wet: Still a lovely rose with those other well-blended notes. Dark, but not too dark. Sweet, in a floral style, not foodie. The vanilla bean affords a gentle shot of sweetness.

The dry-down: The indigo musk has finally appeared, and seems to have drenched the other notes as it competes with the rose. A lovely dark and deep scent, perfect for wearing out at night, whether for a walk in the country or the city. A scent fit for an elegant woman.

I ordered this unsniffed and, boy, am I thrilled I did! Every note is a winner for me, but one just never knows....

This is the most feminine blend in my growing collection. The jasmine hits hard when wet, but soon you get the most gorgeous fusion of the opium tar, benzoin, rose otto, indigo musk...and each one is blended together so seamlessly, yet you get hints of each one. Freaking amazing. I don't get much vanilla from this one, but who cares? It's so gorgeous and is gonna get better and better with age. It already has since I received it when the weenies were launched. Absolutely ethereal.

Dark, electrically charged perfume. It smells clean and sultry at the same time. Very interesting and pretty. Good for nighttime.

On the skin: Hmmmm, I can't smell much. It is just so musky and elusive. Kinda sour too. Almost a sour lime musk.

Definitely not for me.

Muse of the Night starts off with a sour, almost wet dog-like funk that grabs at my nose and refuses to let go for the first minute or so. Then what I could only describe as electrified florals sweep in, elevating the scent from the funky base. As the blend dries the funk finally recedes, the florals expand, and I'm getting hints of the black currant and vanilla now and then. There's a cleanliness to the background that I believe is the indigo musk. The reviewer who said this was a silvery midnight broomstick ride couldn't have been more spot-on.

Very pretty and ethereal once dry, but I wish I knew what note was causing the funk at the beginning stages so I can avoid it in other blends. I think it might be the opoponax. Pretty, but I'll stick with just my decant unless I spot a partial some day.

This sounded so intriguing despite the rose and jasmine (which both typically amp on me and go horrible in their own ways) that I had to try it.

In the tester, the opium jumps out at me immediately with its slightly soapy, smoky caress. I also get a hint of the florals and they are flowers by midnight, not a cheerful sunny garden. Slightly ominous. On me, the rose makes herself known as I expected but somehow doesn't completely take over the blend. I get a hint of jasmine's bitterness and it reminds me of pikake rather than the jasmine notes that go so awful and smell like cat pee. It has a funky edge but I'm not racing to wash it off as I normally would. These are dark, oppressive florals and I must say I like this despite not typically liking florals. A bit powdery/soapy from the opium. It warms into a very pleasing smoky, sweet floral. I don't smell the vanilla/benzoin but I have a feeling it's what's making this blend work for me. On drydown, the opium disappears and it becomes a fairly "perfumey", ordinary floral.

wow, at first, muse of the night is fruitier than i expected! the blackcurrant with a musky background is the first thing that i notice. there are some nice resins hiding in there, too, but this is much too floral for me to wear- the yang yang, jasmine and rose otto amp to high heaven and i smell like an old lady. :(

I wanted to like this blend so much! The imagery reminded me of The Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness, a favorite album, so I was delighted to see the last person to post a review's SN is Porcelina! :hug:

This blend smells fruity and whispy in the bottle and wet on skin. It soon turns soapy/powdery in the drydown, with the fruit coming through intermittently. Even now that it is aged it still smells of powder on me, unfortunately. Hopefully the two bottles I bought will go to a good home.

In the decant: Soft musk, sweet currant, and a touch of flowers that don't overwhelm (probably ylang ylang). 

On my skin:

Wet, the currant and ylang ylang become much stronger, and the musk recedes during this initial stage. As it dries and settles, the currant fades back a bit -- so it's no longer overshadowing everything -- allowing the ylang ylang and musk to come forward a bit more. I get a touch of jasmine and rose otto, along with the traces of grounding notes that are indistinct. 

When it settles into its final form on me, it's a deep, musky fruit and floral. For folks for whom florals can sometimes be too heady or headachey (like me!), the infusion of currant and musk is a lovely way to tamp some of that down without drowning out the essential floral. I don't know how much I love this as a personal fit for me, but it's certainly a well crafted scent and an excellent embodiment of its name.