Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
VioletChaos

Le Cafe Du Rat-Mort

I got a goblin squirt of this directly from the Lab (mods, I searched high and lo for a topic thread and found none: if there Is one, by all means, merge mine with it, thanks ! :D )

Okay, so because of the name, I'd just randomly assumed that there would be a strong coffee note in this scent before even smelling it and was therefore startled when it was a bright, sweet floral in the bottle. It was SO sweet and cloying that, honestly, it smells like bug spray to me. Like, the type we used when I was a kid in the 80's, that was supposed to smell like air freshener but, you know, smelled like roach spray instead. :eek:

Still, i know that first sniffs are often deceiving, so I gave it a little squirt in my living room, into the couch cushions. While wet, the spray stayed the same- sweet floral bug spray. :cry2:

but now it's about 10 minutes later and this has turned into *heaven*. I'm getting what seems to be some of the gardenia/vanilla mix that is so dear to me in the Cathouse room spray, but with a different subset of other notes. The change makes this something more for daytime use in a living room, whereas I strictly use Cathouse in my boudoir in the evening time. There's a "green" freshness to this that makes it a good choice for daytime use, whereas Cathouse is all sultry and sexy.

In all: If the notes are an indication, I'm betting this will be even better with some aging. Trading Post: I'm keeping my eye out for a full release! ;)

I got a sample of this one too!

To me it smelled like earthy moss with a tinge of something floral, but I couldn't tell you a particular flower.

I also expected a coffee note, but I don't smell one over the moss.

it's got a definite 'green' aspect to it.

ETA: OK, I think maybe the floral is magnolia.

Edited by Akurarei

When I first sprayed this, I thought that it smelled a bit like mint and bubblegummy lotus. As it dried down, it started to smell funky and sort of reminded me of carpets with pet pee on them, like someone tried to cover up that sour, bad smell with some perfume. My mom said that it smelled like my grandma's cologne at first and then that it reminded her of pine sol and floor cleaner. My brother-in-law said it smelled minty and reminded him of icy-hot. My 3-year-old nephew said "it's yucky." And my husband and my sister both said that it smelled like dentist office.

Sooo... Le Cafe Du Rat-Mort doesn't seem to have any fans in my house, lol.

I had heard about this prototype several years ago.... however, it seamed very few people had tried it at the time (it was only sold at the first cobwebs event and I don't think there were very many bottles to go around). The only description I'd seen was 'minty'. However, Puddin was a sweetie and sent out Goblin Squirts in several recent BPTP orders. Not sure whether they're the exact same version as the bottle though

In the Bottle: anise and mint

Sprayed and Given a Few Moments to Settle: mint, anise, sugar, and a faint white floral note

Definitely more of a 'me' scent than it sounded by the other reviews. I like it, but it's still not quite my thing

edited for spelling errors

Edited by SurrealReality

I really like this one. A bit of mint, a bit of floral, something sweet, and maybe some absinthe. :wub2: I'd love to see this one released someday.

A sniffie from the fabulous Funny! Very perfumey, but with a freshness about it, like a mint or herb. I can't comment on how it is in the air, but if it is anything like what I'm smelling on the cotton, I would not like my living area to smell so perfumey. Nice to get to see how it smells though!

I purchased a bottle of this at Dark Delicacies about a year ago. It was in a bottle with a hand written label so I knew it was a rarity and that was a lot of the reason I purchased it. Buuuut... I didn't love it so I kept some for myself and sold the majority of the bottle on eBay a while back.

To me it's definitely absinthe plus "other stuff" Sort of minty, and unfortunately "sickly sweet" I like it, but don't LOVE it. I hope whoever bought my bottle is enjoying it :D

Edited by MCS4096

Mint, light florals, and anise/absinthe--this isn't something I'd normally go for, but the mint is actually kind of nice in this cold weather. Kind of like how I love the Lick It series on the coldest days. Fresh and brisk!

Herby, minty and this DEFINITELY has gardenia. Which I am sad to report that because of my BPAL skin chemistry I have associated with wet wool. At first, there is a note that definitely smells like hairspray, but there is anise.

I think this will need to find a new home.

It starts with a bright burst of citrus and herbs, courtesy of absinthe (complete with a cube of white sugar!). I think there might be another energetic note in there too. Grapefruit or ginger perhaps. After that the florals come forth, led by jasmine. There’s a touch of something sharper and soapier that I think might be violet or iris. Some orange blossom too, I think. And while I do agree there is probably a creamier, white floral in there, I don’t think it’s gardenia. My guess would be tuberose. Overall the scent is fresh and happy, with a feminine slant. The associated hue would be a creamy pale green.

(Google tells me this cafe was known for absinthe and lesbians, so I think that explains the lack of coffee and dead rat notes! :laugh: )

In summary: Pale, sugared florals splashed with absinthe.

For me this is the perfect bathroom scent, but I imagine it working in a sitting room or guest room too. Anywhere you’d want a fresh, sunshine-y feeling, really. I hope this becomes officially released one of these days!

Edited by BoneBone24