Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
ivyandpeony

Yule Scents 2010

Although I've placed 2 orders (I haven't received the 2nd yet, from the 2nd Nutcracker update) I always wonder if I've made the right choices. I haven't been able to make it to one of the GA Will Calls yet to sniff everything like I have with so many of the big updates of the past. So, I was wondering if y'all would share your recs with me for the ones that you'd consider must-haves. I've got a couple questions I've been thinking about:

Which one embodies Christmas/Yule the most?

Best foody scent from this year's Yules?

Best snowy/wintery scent?

Best scent that you'll enjoy wearing in warmer weather?

What's this year's sleeper scent?

And do you have an overall favorite yet?

Of the scents I've tried so far, my choices would be:

Whoop as the most Christmasy, Yule-season blend.

GIngerbread Poppet as the best foody scent (it would probably win this for me every year it's been offered although I love Sugar Cookie too)

Waltz of the Snowflakes as the best snowy/wintery scent.

The First of The Three Spirits as the scent I'll most enjoy in warm weather although I love it now too.

And I don't really have a sleeper hit to recommend yet, so I am especially interested to hear what you think. I'm thinking of the way that a lot of us didn't notice or dismissed The Girl based on its description last Halloween until the "OMG!" reviews started pouring in from will calls and early orders, and now it's one of the most popular & sought-after LEs.

I'm also torn on a favorite - especially since I haven't tried that second round of Nutcracker scents yet. So far it might be Klara.

ivyandpeony, I think we have similar tastes! I was able to try everything from the first round Yules but none from the second, here's my list so far:

Which one embodies Christmas/Yule the most? Whoop

Best foody scent from this year's Yules? , I want to say Großvater Tanz, but it was ultimately too dry on me. I will stick with Gingerbread Poppet 2010.

Best snowy/wintery scent? Waltz of the Snowflakes

Best scent that you'll enjoy wearing in warmer weather? The First of the Three Spirits, Changing the Shadows and Chained Phantoms is really refreshing to me.

What's this year's sleeper scent? It's hard to say...last year I think it was Black Temple Burlesque Troupe, this year it might be Arabian Dance (though this might have been a hit from the get-go, so I don't know if it qualifies as a "sleeper") or Klara.

And do you have an overall favorite yet? Klara and I'm hoping Arabian Dance, which I should be getting soon!

I still have a few scents to try, but these are my impressions so far.

Although it didn't work for me, The Second of the Three Spirits smells like an old-fasioned Christmas celebration to me.

My favourite sweet scents this year have been from the Trading Post imp sets this year. Kourdabies is my favourite cookie scent ever now, and the others are really nice too.

Gingerbread Poppet is also a classic, and I really like Großvater Tanz and A Game Called Yes and No as well.

The only "snow" scent I liked this year was Waltz of the Snowflakes, which is beautiful!

I have a hard time bringing out Yules in hot weather, I'm silly like that! But Lick It Vigorously will probably be a good scent for a hot day (or a hangover) since its very minty and refreshing.

Waltz of the Flowers and Sugar Plum Fairy will probably be lovely in the spring too, but too heavy for hot summer days.

Its hard to say, but I'm guessing it will be something from The Nutcracker series.

Sugar Plum Fairy is my favourite so far, but I'm very fond of Waltz of the Snowflakes.

Edited by TheIceMaiden

I've only tried a couple so it's hardly like I can compare the lot but regarding warmer weather scents, sugar plum fairy makes me think of flowering trees and spring on the cusp of summer. Also, fruit loops.

Which one embodies Christmas/Yule the most? Whoop

Best foody scent from this year's Yules? Sugar Plum Fairy. It is a sweet, fruity, candy scent that evokes the image of the fairy from the nutcracker

Best snowy/wintery scent? Waltz of the Snowflakes-It is absolutely beautiful

Best scent that you'll enjoy wearing in warmer weather? None. I prefer to wear them during the fall/yule season

What's this year's sleeper scent? The Arabian Dance. People will be clamoring for this soon.

And do you have an overall favorite yet? The Arabian Dance and The Clock Strikes Midnight.

I'm almost finished testing my decants, so I'll chime in!

The Second of the Three Spirits. I really wanted the answer to be Whoop, but it smelled absolutely vile on me.

A World of Fools

Best snowy/wintry scent?

Waltz of the Snowflakes

A Cold, Clear Winter Day :lol:

What is this year's sleeper scent?

Waltz of the Snowflakes or The Nutcraker. I think Arabian Dance is going to be the runaway hit.

Overall favorite?

The Arabian Dance

The Second of the Three Spirits is the one I've been using as a room scent lately, and it feels like a perfect yule scent to me. It's like a fresh Christmas tree, sugary treats baking away in the oven, and hints of spice and fruit. Very cozy and Christmassy.

A lot of the foodies haven't worked on me and went more to cinnamon potpourri or candle smell on my skin, but I haven't tried The Kingdom of Sweets, Sugar Plum Fairy, or Mother Ginger yet, so I'm still hopeful for those.

The Waltz of the Snowflakes <3 which is all vanilla, snow, and a hint of pine on me. Super pretty.

Probably The Waltz of the Snowflakes, Midwinter's Eve, and The Clock Strikes Midnight.

I think that Klara will be popular, though it doesn't work on me personally, and Waltz of the Snowflakes for those who like Snow White and Snowblind.

Ebenezer Scrooge, Shadows of What May Be, The Clock Strikes Midnight, The Waltz of the Snowflakes, and The School are the blends that I'm most enamored with at the moment.

I finally got the last of my Yule scents yesterday from the Lab and so I can comment, with my own opinions.

Which one embodies Christmas/Yule the most? Whoop, even though the honey turned on me in the end, it still has the most Christmas vibe. The Second Of The Three Spirits is also very Christmas-like.

Best foody scent from this year's Yules? I haven't tried many foodie scents, I'd pick Haloa for my favorite. It's not straight-up foody, but it's very buttery/cakey with a twist.

Best snowy/wintery scent? I like Woods In Winter, although the icy part isn't all that strong, it still fits this category.

Best scent that you'll enjoy wearing in warmer weather? Maybe Altar To Cold, Rigid, Dreadful Death, although I never have a problem wearing any of my favorite Yule scents in warm weather.

What's this year's sleeper scent? Maybe The Soldier? I think it appeals to the red musk/root beer crowd.

And do you have an overall favorite yet? Again, The Soldier. I love it!

I've tried 25 of the Yules so far, and most have been failures on me.

Yule. I'm surprised how much I like this. It is the only bottle I am considering from all the decants I've tried.

A World of Fools. The other foody blends I tried were way too sweet. Although A World of Fools smells very similar to Snap Dragon Fly, which I already have a bottle of.

So far, every snow scent I've tried smells like cologne.

Bob Cratchit's Hearth. If this had a different name it wouldn't be out of place int he Atomic Luau collection.

The Arabian Dance? I haven't tried it yet, but other's reviews tend to be positive.

Yule, as mentioned above. It really does smell like a battle between nature spirits in a dark, damp forest.

Sign in to follow this