Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Fae_Rae

What scents are masculine? Gender-neutral?

And if I get it on my fingers I rub the excess in my hair.

Ooh, I never thought of that, what a clever idea! :P

Personally I'm glad you posted the male list, though I think there are a bunch of other scents that may be more male oriented.

With that being said, I initially thought Perversion would be too sweet for me, and yet...when I applied it, it's not the case at all. It smells amazing on me. I just keep trying to avoid the urge to tell people to sniff me.

As for scent application, I apply it on the wrists, behind the ears and a small bit on the neck, just below where the jaw line is. If my sleeves are rolled up that day, I place the fragrance on the inner elbow instead of the wrist.

I usually apply right where my sleeve or neck of shirt ends. That way it's exposed to air but I'm not rubbing my scent everywhere, on objects and/or people. So for long sleeves, wrists or back of hands. Short sleeves, I apply on my inner elbows or even upper arms. As for the neck I usually put it right under my adam's apple, or on the back of my neck just below my hair. Sometimes on the sides of my neck, below the ears.

And if I get it on my fingers I rub the excess in my hair.

I'm the exact same, only whatever excess oil there is usually ends up either on my black wool jacket. From my experience, bpal scents tend to last far longer on anything that isn't a live, breathing creature. I can still smell the dab of Satyr that I put on one of my jackets at least a week ago, yet on me the stuff is all but gone after 6 hours or so.

I read the description of Dee and it sounds absolutely wonderful and perfect for my guy... so it's a surprise (and disappointment) to hear it described as generic cheap cologney. I'll still see if I can find an imp somewhere though...

Dee was such a letdown for me. It is probably the most department-store smelling cologne bpal sells, and the only reason I've kept my imp of Dee is to occasionally sniff it to remind me that I shouldn't always believe the hype. :P

With the help of others as well as my own plunge into bpal, these are the scents I've found to work best on myself.. so they may work equally as well on other guys:

Satyr (It's like a masculine Snake Oil, only thicker and darker. Supreme shit right here.)

Hellfire (Decadent + masculine)

Dorian (By far the oil I get the most compliments wearing. Women really seem to like the way Dorian smells. Reminds me of weak tea drizzled over aged apples.)

Other good ones: Port Royal and Golden Priapus. If your guy is into more unique/dark scents I'd highly suggest Tezcatlipoca and Centzon Totochtin. If you want really bold scents that will make everyones head turn, go with either Djinn or Lucifer.

Random thoughts.....

Josh, I still 'owe' you some decants, I haven't forgotten, but school and work sort of got in the way. I do have some stuff you'll like or at least enjoy trying.

I would say that around 75-80% of the bpal scents I've tried could very well be worn by a man or woman. There are quite a few that are very feminine, but if I like the description or theme of a scent, I usually give it a try, whether it's floral, candy, sugary, girly, what have you....and I've found a lot of favorites this way! I love Sugar Skull, Midnight On The Midway, Rose Red (I don't wear this often but I love how it smells...), Glowing Vulva, and many others that could possibly slip by someone's radar, if they are only looking for 'masculine' scents. As a matter of fact, I prefer the more 'neutral' scents and have found a few that were TOO masculine for me (Dee is one of those...I think it would work great for some guys but it's too manly for me). Basically if I like how something smells, I'm not going to worry about the gender aspect.

As for applying....tonight I put on 3 teensy weensy dabs of Snake Charmer, one on each hand and one on my neck......and it was waaaaay too much!! I had to rinse a little bit because it was just too intense.

Edit: Meant to add.......I recommend Ile de la Tortue for guys, as long as you're open to a floral scent......it's a big, bright floral but gender neutral in my book....and a new favorite of mine.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

I would say that around 75-80% of the bpal scents I've tried could very well be worn by a man or woman. There are quite a few that are very feminine, but if I like the description or theme of a scent, I usually give it a try, whether it's floral, candy, sugary, girly, what have you....and I've found a lot of favorites this way! I love Sugar Skull, Midnight On The Midway, Rose Red (I don't wear this often but I love how it smells...), Glowing Vulva, and many others that could possibly slip by someone's radar, if they are only looking for 'masculine' scents. As a matter of fact, I prefer the more 'neutral' scents and have found a few that were TOO masculine for me (Dee is one of those...I think it would work great for some guys but it's too manly for me). Basically if I like how something smells, I'm not going to worry about the gender aspect.

:P

Hear Hear!! I feel exactly the same!!!!

I would die to smell Phobos on a man. Oh yes. It's clean, sexy, yet smutty in the most subtle and proper way. I think it's the musk in it that gives that male sex scent once warmed on the skin, but the verbena and grapefruit make it so fresh and sweetly clean at first that, hell... :P

Anyways, try Phobos... especially if the guy is into the "clean" scent family.

I third Forspecial on the gender scent.

Edited by reina

Random thoughts.....

Josh, I still 'owe' you some decants, I haven't forgotten, but school and work sort of got in the way. I do have some stuff you'll like or at least enjoy trying.

No way, I'm owed nothing :P --- I've been traveling a lot lately and was worried I might have missed anything sent my way anyways, so everything worked out well. I managed to get all the ones you recommended and all worked great except Brimstone.. or maybe I'm thinking of Malediction, or both. They smell like a really bitter BBQ sauce almost.. or rather, "mesquite"/liquid smoke + wood chips. Troll is mad though, I think I even prefer it over Djinn. RM Renfield is really interesting to me, but I also managed to get some other scents from this series and was blown away by The Castle. It's one of my faves, but something that only really works in fall/winter. Have you tried Hunger or Tombstone? Any suggestions of similar scents there? Satyr, Hunger and Snake Oil .. those really thick, dark, second-skin smelling scents... love those.

I pretty much went with flowers = girls when picking out my scents, and although that didn't work (No. of scents with no flowers: About twelve. Length of wishlist: About twelve pages :P) I've done pretty well with what I've picked out so far. I agree that a lot of the scents I've smelt are pretty unisex (Barring anything with roses in it. Can't stand roses) but everything I've smelt that's named after a male god or Shakespearian figure has worked really well on the masculine front.

I don't have typical skin chemistry (And, as Her Indoors pointed out, I am the most flamboyantly camp person she knows) but I find wearing more than one scent works really well for me when I have less manly scents I like. A nice masculine one (My favourite at the moment is Herr Drosselmeyer - arrived this morning, already love it) on my wrists, possibly on my hair, and my handkerchief if I'm wearing one, and then something more exotic (O and Incubus are favourites, I'm yet to try Snake Oil) usually on the back of my neck or the hollow of my collarbones. Everyone smells Herr Drosselmeyer with something slightly sweeter about it, and my fiancee (The only person who gets close enough) gets pretty much an equal mix of the Herr and O. Which she likes. A lot.

I love Dee on me! Sure, it's not girly, but it's PURE UNADULTERATED SEX. Amusingly enough, it makes me think of an ex of mine, even though he didn't wear any kind of scent.

Frederic is fairly boyish, too, same with Doc Constantine, Isaac, Malediction, Hell's Tavern, and Fenris Wolf. I think The Ragged Wood would be amazing on guys, too.

And Mechanical Phoenix, if anyone can find some, is gender neutral to the extreme, IMHO.

Personally, I think everything's pretty much gender neutral, and I love vetiver, which is very "male" so nothing is taboo for me. Sometimes the "male" smelling things go sweet and girly on me-- I think Czernobog smells feminine on me, Wrath and Rage do as well. Amongst my friends, we got some Czernobog on one of the guys, and it went stale and bitter and boring on him. *sob*

Things I'd personally LOVE to smell on guys?

- Snake Oil

- Fenris Wolf

- DEE (though I might get scary!lewd if I did)

- Miskatonic University

- The Lion

- Drink Me (no crude jokes, people)

- White Rabbit

- French Love

- Bitter Moon

- Jazz Funeral

The one I know works on a male friend of mine? Wolf Moon. He used to wear it out to this club I went to and get compliments all the time. When he ran out, I went and found him a bottle. :P

If you want really bold scents that will make everyones head turn, go with either Djinn or Lucifer

Ooh yes, Lucifer. Magnificent Lucifer. I could nuzzle up to a neck that was slathered in Lucifer.

I have a imp of Djinn on the way . And the last Will Call was my first one . I was sniffing my way through assorted bottles when I saw Lucifer & thought " I have no idea what that one smells like , let's give it a go " . Later , after they scraped me off the floor ... It wasn't bad , but it certainly was " in your face " . I will have to get a bottle eventually .

For myself , I would promote The Isles of Demons , The Wild Men of Jezirat al Tennyn , Troll , the Great He-Goat " that one could pole ax you as hard as Lucifer , let me tell you " . Honestly , there are so many scents from the lab I love . Some of which I wouldn't classify for either sex but both . First order I got came with a frimp of Aeval . Upon dabbing a bit on my hand my nose just about had a orgasm . Now , would I wear it myself ? Not sure . Maybe . I'd prefer to run it by a few ladies noses on me first to see what they thought .

Edited by CoopieCat

I happen to like Black cat and Undertow, seem gender neutral to me. Don't care for DeSade (too harsh for my tastes)

I'm about to order Dorian, Incubus, Phoenix Steamworks and Mad Hatter, as well as Bastet and O (last two for my lady to try, though i might have to try on O to see if she'll end up attacking my neck :P )

Re-tried Two Monsters today . First time I tried it I was a bit turned off by it . But my nose has learned a few things since then to say the least . It's learned that I love vetiver & musk ( preferably dark musks ) , & that the oak moss really blends well with them on my skin . And as such , I would recommend it pretty highly for the men folks here .

I mean, there are some guys on this forum and I'm sure they don't relegate themselves to only trying the 'masculine' blends--they'd blaze through them in one or two orders and be done with it.

I just wear whatever I think smells good on me.

On behalf of the dudes, yeah....you took the words right out of my mouth.

I am exceptionally amused that many of the names for the "men's" scents are....well, sinister. Villain...Iago...Embalming Fluid(!), Damnation, Torment, Malice, Pain, Venom...sheesh. I know we're all dogs (every one of us, to a man), but damn. Harsh!

Just a quick question about a scent that has returned for a brief time . I see all the excitement about Snake Charmer , & can't help but wonder if it would work for a guy as well . I don't think I'll get a chance to sniff it before it goes away , so I figured I'd ask here in hopes of getting some opinions . I'd hate to miss out on something that so many feel is so special , but if it's too feminine I won't feel bad at all .

Just a quick question about a scent that has returned for a brief time . I see all the excitement about Snake Charmer , & can't help but wonder if it would work for a guy as well . I don't think I'll get a chance to sniff it before it goes away , so I figured I'd ask here in hopes of getting some opinions . I'd hate to miss out on something that so many feel is so special , but if it's too feminine I won't feel bad at all .

Edit: Short answer: Yes, I think it can work for a guy. I wear it, and I'm a guy. It really depends on your tastes, though. (longer answer below....)

Do you like Snake Oil, Death Adder, or Mme. Moriarty? If you like those, I'd say there's a real good chance you may also like Snake Charmer. Opinions vary but I find it really is its own scent, so to speak, but with similarities to those other ones.

When I first tried it, I wasn't sure if I could pull it off. It's not that it's feminine.....actually, it's not really masculine either, IMO, it's pretty much gender-neutral. But on my skin, it's really strong and I can only wear little dabs of it. But I do love the smell of it! I think there's a more popular opinion that it's like a lighter cousin of Snake Oil, but for me it's stronger than Snake Oil.

Anyway, I like it enough that I've hoarded 3 decants of the older Snake Charmer, and I have a bottle of the resurrected S.C. on the way. It's a really special scent that I don't wear all the time, but there are situations where it really fits. Hope that helps a little.

Well , I love Death Adder a whole lot . And I like both of the others . So I guess that'll be a bottle for me before it's gone again :P

Well , I love Death Adder a whole lot . And I like both of the others . So I guess that'll be a bottle for me before it's gone again :P

Yeah, I remembered you like Death Adder....that is more dry and husky, but I can really pick out the coconut in both. When I first tried Death Adder it reminded me a lot of Snake Charmer. I think Snake Charmer is more smoke/resin, with that dark plum note as well that adds a slight fruit element. I think it's a safe bet for you. : ) Besides, I think it would be relatively easy to swap or sell....usually I cringe when people say that, but Snake Charmer is pretty popular.

Edit: Just out of curiosity, I searched for "feminine" and "masculine" in the Snake Charmer reviews. I came up with 6 that said "feminine", "like Snake Oil but more feminine", etc.....and 1 vote for "too masculine for me". Still, I think it could work for either a guy or girl, just depending on one's taste.

Yeah that's how I think of Snake Charmer too, a feminine version of Snake Oil. I always put Snake Oil first, then Mme, then finally Snake Charmer but I still love it, just not on me. I gave a SC decant to an ex and looooooooooooved the way it smelled on her. I think the right guy could pull it off just as well.

I recently put some Spider on my husband and then nearly nibbled at his neck in front of company, if that helps any. :P I'm also test-driving Titus Andronicus on myself today and I think it could probably work on men or women.

I'm a guy, and though I only have a few BPAL scents, I do wear O and Water of Notre Dame from time to time. I get a lot of compliments, particularly with Water of Notre Dame. Once in a while I'll throw on Neo-Tokyo.

The only ones I've smelled that I would absolutely NOT wear are Cockaigne (dear lord it's so sweeeet!) and Grand Guignol, but I've smelled very few, so as I continue my BPAL education, no doubt this list will expand.

My next batch of imps will be Antony, Oberon, Robin Goodfellow, Cthulhu, and Haunted. They all sound spectacular.

I'm a guy, and though I only have a few BPAL scents, I do wear O and Water of Notre Dame from time to time. I get a lot of compliments, particularly with Water of Notre Dame. Once in a while I'll throw on Neo-Tokyo.

The only ones I've smelled that I would absolutely NOT wear are Cockaigne (dear lord it's so sweeeet!) and Grand Guignol, but I've smelled very few, so as I continue my BPAL education, no doubt this list will expand.

My next batch of imps will be Antony, Oberon, Robin Goodfellow, Cthulhu, and Haunted. They all sound spectacular.

Try Casanova, Tombstone, Coyote, The Lion (if you like amber), Ferris Wolf and any of the piratey scents...aquatic, but yum (Calico Jack, I'm looking at you!).

Crowley is very masculine, but unimpable. YMMV.

I like the more masculine scents...not too fond of florals. If you can score an imp or bottle of Schwarzer Mond, it is teh love.

Also try Western Diamondback, Hellfire and Fire of Love. All very masculine.

May add Vicomte de Valmonte and suggest the more masculine jolly Roger in place of Chuthulu?