Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
cfrancesca

The Adoration of the Mi-Go

Luminous, otherworldly wet and piquant odors mingling with black incense, the pitch-stench of Yuggoth, and fungal lichens.

Bright lime and seawater and something like heliotrope hovering over a deeper scent. Everything merges to a sun-warmed scent. It's like standing in a lichen garden under an alien sun.

To me this is a sophisticated, dressy scent with the pleasant side effect of being an imagination tweaker and daydream inducer. Edited by Blithgunde

I loved this the moment I sniffed it in it's cute lil prototype bottle at the lab during will call. I wanted to buy it during release, but I really practiced self control so that I could buy gifts for christmas... :D

I now have my very own decant and am happy as a clam I am!

Once applied, it's sweet and fruity, with a swirl of something dark and inedible (though the top note is all edible). The dark note is almost dirty, but not quite. It's just smokey and herbal.

It doesn't change much on the dry down, but it's still awesome.

Throw is medium

Verdict: Please do not feed the Cthulhu.

This is a fresh, sweet and fruity scent - it does have a 'wet' feel too. Thankfully I'm not getting any pitch-stench or fungal lichens.. but I have no idea where the black incense is hiding.. there's nothing black in here at all for me although there is something lurking behind the sweetness!

I'm thinking this has grapefruit in it, and some apple. Possibly a little bit of lemon or lime, and there's a slight saltiness to it.

Surprisingly pretty - if you love sugary citrus blends, definitely give this one a try :thumbsup:

In the Imp: Like moss warmed in the sun sprinkled with lime juice. Really soothing, actually.

Wet: All I can say is that there's nothing remotely like "pit-stench" in this. I need to pay more attention to the Miskatonic oils because as off-putting as their descriptions sound they always turn out lovely. The incense hovers gorgeously in the background, giving the slightest darkness to a bright lime and earthy moss scent.

Dry: You what this reminds me of? A dryad. Or even a mermaid (the kind that's a bit dodgy but still beautiful). It's certainly "green", but with a mature feel to it because of the lingering incense amidst the nature. All of it is warmed by a lazy, soft sunshine.

Verdict: Another interesting, imaginative Miskatonic blend. Very elegant and yet wild.

Imp: Delicious tart citrus, I think yuzu.

Wet: Definitely smells like yuzu! I like yuzu!

Dry: The lichen comes into play and melds wonderfully with the tartness of the yuzu. Husband liked it a lot and so did I! Bottle on this one.

Oooh this is fun and fruity, I think it's a perfect lighthearted scent. I am glad I pounced on this one, totally uniformed and just mesmerized by the fun story...

In bottle: Sweetly insencey Aquatic with some ozone. The pitch and lichen give the ocean scent a sharp foresty edge, which is gorgeous. The incense is beautifully blended with the other notes, being pervasive, but hard to tease apart because it fits so well with the elements. This is a more complex cousin to the lab’s Cthulhu blend. I have been having trouble with the ocean accord on my skin for a few years, but this is so lovely, I’m going to skin test. Wet: even more amazing on my skin. I’d swear there were baneberries or mistletoe berries in there. It is as in the bottle only more so. My skin chemistry turns the ocean accord a little, but the pitch and lichen are doing a good job of holding things together, so that I have hopes of being able to really wear this. Dry: Mostly ocean with some lichen.

ITI: While the citrus note isn't present in the original description, it really does smell like satsuma and grapefruit with just a hint of lichen. It's gorgeous in the imp.

Wet: Still very citrus heavy as the top note, but I get both lichen and a touch of earthy mushroom surrounding light incense as middle and bottom notes.

Dry: It's faintly citrusy with soft herbiness and a little bit of very faint pitch. It's rather lovely, and worthy of a bottle, I think.

2012 version.

Again, on wet its a strong yuzu and lime combination..... and it devolves into something like an industrial strength toilet cleaner.

Citrus, clean, overpowering.

Bright, fruity, cheerful, slightly citrus when wet. When dry, less fruity, some added soft florals, kind of a vanilla sweetness here. Kind of reminds me a bit of Tamora, though it's a different fruit. This was nice when wet, but I don't really care for the dry stage.

(2009 version, I think)

This is a slightly sweet, slightly powdery aquatic that does absolutely nothing for me. If it was lime-y at some point, the lime has definitely burned off by aging. The aquatics are strong enough that this reminds me of commercial perfume. On close inspection, there is a hint of lichen that's interesting, but it's not enough to make me want to keep my decant.

When first applied, it's fruit salad on my wrist. Apple, peach, lime, and oranges. OK, this is pleasant enough.

But then a creamy note and an aquatic note appear. Or a creamy aquatic. Which is kind of gross to me...like, aquatic milk? I am starting to feel filled with dread.

Sure enough, the fungal lichen rears its gnarled head, and it's dirty and earthy and kind of...poopy. :ack: Like the smell of mushrooms with the dirt still on them?!

I had to go wash it off. So very not for me. What a totally odd melange of notes.