Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
HamletsKeeper

Which oils say, cool detached authority?

Ok, so this may be a weird way to go about picking a scent but I've done my head in going the traditional route of "which smells do I like". Time for a new approach. I want a scent for work. I work in a closed, small environment in a public facing role. My primary reason for being is safety but the public face of my job is service.

My scent can't be cloying, wafty or overpowering. But neither do I want it to be insipid.

Here's what I want to convey in scent...

Poise and beauty - the beauty of a woman not coming from the set of her features but from self-confidence and complete acceptance of herself.

Meticulous - everything she does is done masterfully, from the way she presents herself to noticing the smallest detail about the most trivial thing. Yet she does this without you even being aware of it. It's such a natural part of who she is.

Approachable and detached - you feel like you can ask her anything but you know you can't cross a certain line. You might lose your cool but she never will.

Words are unnecessary - she could either put you at ease or unnerve you without saying anything at all.

Relaxed authority - you naturally look to her for direction when things become unusual or erratic. She never needs to make a point, or overpower, because she leads by example. You are comfortable following where she leads.

I also want a scent that's recogisable as a scent yet doesn't scream "look at me". I guess I'm looking for a scent which encapsulates a woman you respect utterly because she is both hard and soft in exactly the right ways. Anyone want to have a go at this?

Ok, I am so not that woman, but of the bpal I've tried, I'd say Manhattan best fits that description.

Sexuality, power, confidence. A meeting of modern, sleek elegance and rich, passionate history. Sheer amber, black leather, white mint, lemon peel, white tea, grapefruit, kush, teakwood and orchid.

It's lovely and feminine, but not sweet or cloying. It's delicate, without much throw, but the leather just completely makes it transcendent and gives it an edge. I wear it when I need something that's not so blatantly resiny and incense of my normal blends. It always makes me feel confident too!

I think Tintagel. There's warmth to it, but (on me, at least), it doesn't seem to be a comfy sort of warmth for other people. At any rate, I wear it for the same reasons Hoyden said.

Also, if you want to delve into LEs, some of the Warrior Queens may fit what you're looking for.

Whenever I want to appear the way you describe, I reach for Vechernyaya: Three white musks with poppy and patchouli.

It's cool and somewhat removed, yet feminine, has good staying power without bowling anyone over by mercilessly assaulting their nose and, for some reason, says to me, "Trust me, I know what I'm doing."

Edited by Diva Urd

Add me to the Manhattan chorus! If you like vanilla, you may also want to consider Black Opal; to me, the vanilla provides the femininity but since it has a cool undertone, there's a sense of detachment as well.

I find Yvaine definitely conveys cool detached authority - it's lavender and magnolia, very cool and crystal-y without being haughty or snooty. I've worn it when I wanted to appear/feel composed and serene and slightly elevated from the world, if that makes any sense.

(Although I'm thinking now I have to try Manhattan...)

I find Yvaine definitely conveys cool detached authority - it's lavender and magnolia, very cool and crystal-y without being haughty or snooty. I've worn it when I wanted to appear/feel composed and serene and slightly elevated from the world, if that makes any sense.

Seconding Yvaine. When I read what you wanted from the scent it immediately popped how Yvaine makes me feel into my head.

i feel sort of that way when i wear eustephanos, although from the notes i'm not sure why. rose is dressy for me, i think. that may not make much sense? heh. anyway, i'd only wear a drop or two, in the situation you describe.

also ave maria gratia plena. so rosewood is a theme for me. (also the scent description about the angel and adonis and stuff mentions distance, i'm pretty sure.)

I wasn't sure, and was trying to come up with something, but I second Vechernyaya for sure =)

From what others describe of the way it wears for them, maybe Black Opal? Greed was another that I really really liked on, that might fit your descriptions. But the name might turn you off. Pride maybe? It has a very uppercrust smell to it, although all floral.

I havent had a chance to try Whoso List to Hunt, but it could fit.

The Salon all has a much differnent feel for me than the rest of the BPAL oils. There could be a good one there for you. I just don't have much experience with them. (I do LOVE Judith Victorious though.)

Is there an echo in here? :lol:

Manhattan! ('hattan! 'hattan! 'attan...)

I love Szepasszony for exactly the mood you're trying to convey! I'm also going to chime in on the Manhattan love, and Yvaine to a degree, although to my nose Yvaine is definitely more at the approachable end of that spectrum; the lavender is almost cuddly though not as much as in, say, Lilith Victoria (def. not what you're looking for, IMO). Same idea in other lavender scents: Paris, though that conveys a smooth sophisticated elegance with it too, and Pontia, which is just a little more remote in tone than either but still has a similar vibe. (Why yes, lavender has been my go-to note this summer; why do you ask?;))

Also, this might seem like an odd choice, but to my nose Doc Constantine is very unisex and conveys a similar feel to Manhattan. I'd say it's just a touch sexier, but still very no-nonsense.

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions. I've checked them all out in the reviews sections and think I've narrowed it down.

Manhattan I never would have come across in a million years and the notes list is kinda not my thing but I'm intrigued and willing to give it a go just because I'm trying to branch out. Imp listed.

Vechernyaya is very much in the family of what I normally wear so next time I go imping I'll definately check it out. Probably a very safe bet.

Yvaine piques my interest for it's chrystalline qualities. Chrushed lavender leaves, yummy, lavender oil = wet dog to me usually. But I wonder if BPALs lavender is more a clearer scent than the muddy, mouldy and damp smells in most bottled lavenders. Probably worth a sample if I can find it somewhere.

Szepasszony sounds intriguing just because I love the smell of rain just before it falls. That ozone smell....hmmm.

Lyonesse I've already ordered and am waiting on it's arrival.

Thanks again...

Totally agree on Manhattan most of all. Also Bat-Woman (recently discontinued though) much more than Yvaine. I also use Death & Life Completed for this. D&LC is warmer where Bat-Woman is cool. I like Salome for strength & confidence but I find it less business-like.

And one that I've recently fallen in love with that also has this feeling is Death on a Pale Horse - it's so not like it's macabre description, so don't let that deter you - kind of like an alpine meadow on a crisp fall day (which is a really energizing powerful feeling for me), and the more I read your description, the more I think you should try it out. And maybe Antony.

Curious to see what you'll like! :)

Haha! Death On A Pale Horse is already on its way to me. I stumbled across it quite by accident and thought, oooh! cool, mossiness...yum. It was my wildcard pick and I almost didn't order it. But now I feel a bit smug... ^_^

Hmm...let's see. Faustus always makes me feel very confident, and Mama-Ji does too, but the cinnamon and spices can make those seem warmer and more approachable, so that might not be quite it.

When I think of "cool, detached, professional," I think of crisp green scents, and maybe also light aquatics and ozone. Perhaps, if you ignore the scent name, Garden Path With Chickens. :P Ides of March, which I wore today, might also be good. And a touch more feminine (with fruit in addition to the greeny-rainy smells) is Kitsune-Tsuki.

Hope that gives you something to go on!

Manhattan and Yvaine occurred to me too. Perhaps also the LE Rose Red, which is a crisp, cold rose - very elegant and classically feminine.

Maybe Pollution? It smells very confident and very...well, trendy, of a fashion. I tested it recently and that is what I got from it.

Ooh! And what about something like Swank? What could be cooler and as confident as a pomegranate martini! Ooh-er!

Edited by mspixieears

Just to throw out something a little different, what about The Lion? The dry, glorious warmth of the Savannah. A golden, spiced amber, proud, regal and ferocious.

It's not cool, but it's very femme and elegant -- it always says 'power' to me. The dryness might imply the distance you're looking for, while staying clearly on the 'beautiful and dreadful' end of the spectrum.

OTOH, I love the Yvaine suggestion and I hope you wind up liking that one.

Perhaps one of the tea-based blends? I'm thinking of The Apothecary (Tea leaf with three mosses, green grass, a medley of herbal notes, and a drop of ginger and fig.) or even The Dormouse (A dizzying eddy of four teas brushed with light herbs and a breath of peony.) (don't let the peony scare you -- I didn't find it floral at all). The herbal/grassy notes seem to be heading in the direction I'm thinking you want. Which brings Coyote to mind (The warmth of doeskin, dry plains grasses and soft, dusty woods warmed by amber and a downy, gentle coat of deep musk.) -- less 'perfumey' than The Lion, but still in the same family of warm, dry amber.

I tried Manhattan today, and it could be awesome if you dont amp the citrussy parts (like I did!) There was a wet oil moment before it changed to my skin where I thought of this thread =)

Manhattan or The Torture Queen.

THE TORTURE QUEEN

White amber, vanilla musk, white tea, ambergris, gardenia, and chrome.

51 is a cool, flourescent green floral scent that is somwhat feminine but with something extra on top. it reminds me of Davidoff "Cool Water" for women. it's relatively young in feel, so it's up to you.

the complete opposite of it is Destroying Angel. it's a bit Chanel no. 5-ish with an earth note that opens the scent. It isn't cold but it's rather aloof and haughty. Like an older matron who is very refined but you don't want to mess with her. good with a black cocktail dress or a chocolate brown pantsuit with stilettos underneath.

How about other ones from Rappacini's Garden?

Black Hellebore, Squirting Cucumber....

I'll be back with more recs soon.

ETA: Back!

from the LE's, Hellgate of Ireland seems crazy good if you want to scare someone ;)

"Smoldering brimstone, bitter labdanum, clove, black musk, and copper-colored feathers."

How about "The Lady on the Gray" from "The Graveyeard book" series (Neil Gaiman)?

"Ethereal, opalescent, and radiant: pearly sandalwood, white amber, tobacco flower, orris, castoreum bouquet, soft resins, and pale petals."

Absinthe from Bewitching Brews, and Envy from Sin & Salvation. both are lovely herbals. I've tried Envy on me, and it's a beautiful, clean sweet herbal with a slight citrus edge. a "Spa" scent if you will. smells like an extremely posh shower gel. I recommend it.

Lightning: "The electric tang of ozone, marine notes, and a drop of sharp rain."

Sudha Segara: "tea, with milk and ginger". Now, this isn't cool authority but it's clean and represents a woman whose personality is mature and very comfortable in her skin. it's pure and immaculate.

"High John The conquerer". it's one of the "conjure bag" series, and it's not necessarily for scent but for its effects on psyche. This is going to help you command authority. it's a strong herbal scent.

"Van Van" - also from the conjure bag series. This one, I tell you, WORKS! it only takes a small dab and re-vamps any frazzled nerves and stress to feel human again. if you're stressed and need help holding your head up high, this is your blend.

right, time for sleep. good luck!

Edited by reina