Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Commanderd

After the rain has fallen

Dear wonderful forum,

I am looking for recommendations as to a BPAL scent that reminds one strongly of the smell the countryside gets after a rain shower - that lovely fresh clean scent of the air combined with the slight dampness of grass.

Ideas gratefully received (also, if anyone can explain how I order the scents from the UK I will be eternally grateful)

:wave:

I haven't tried these myself, but perhaps Rosalind (Illyria, Dew-covered berries and fresh green grasses with a faint breath of spring flowers) or Squirting Cucumber (Rappaccini's Garden, A spurt of wet, grassy greenness) would be what you're looking for.

As for how to order from the UK, we have to use PayPal! There's a helpful thread on it here.

June Gloom 2009 reminds me of that type of feeling. It's an aquatic floral type of scent with a little citrus and a slight herbal quality. It has a lightly melancholy feel, so I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. You can find reviews for it here. It was an LE and is no longer up, but it was recent enough that you might be able to find a bottle or decant of it in the Swaps section for sale.

As for how to order, I'm pretty sure there's info on the FAQ page of the lab's website.

June Gloom is close wto what you describe. I would also give Black Tower a try - it's a very unusual and evocative scent that was a lot like rain on warm stone and grasses for me.

June Gloom is close wto what you describe. I would also give Black Tower a try - it's a very unusual and evocative scent that was a lot like rain on warm stone and grasses for me.

I love the sound of Black Tower - kind of reminds me of Glastonbury Tor in the rain from the description.

Also, many thanks for the ordering information! :D

June Gloom 2009 for sure. My skin really amps most wet, aquatic, or rain notes but that one has a very genuine "fresh wet air" smell that's beautiful. It is one that you'll have to seek out in swaps or sales from fellow members, so if you aren't quite ready for that, I do have some other ideas for scents you can order directly from the Lab.

In my opinion, the one that sounds closest to what you want is Garden Path With Chickens, from the Salon category. From the list of notes, you might expect it to be more floral (Damp grass, ivy leaves, morning glory, daisy, rose geranium, heliotrope, white gardenia, climbing roses, peppery nasturtium, phlox, begonia, verbena and sun-warmed herbs) but it's predminantly wet grass with that spicy, woody smell of ivy. Like being in a rain-soaked garden after the sun has come out. This one is only available as a full bottle or as part of the Exhibit II imp pack, just so you know as you plot your order.

From the GC, there's also Szepasszony (from Diabolus), which I find to be rainy, fresh air scent (description: clear, airy notes, slashing rain, and a thin undercurrent of white flowers) and Amsterdam (from Wanderlust) has a wet green grass and flowers-that-don't-smell-too-flowery quality (notes are tulips, peony, fresh flowing water and crisp green grasses).

Since I haven't seen anyone suggest this one yet, my personal favorite fresh clean outdoors-post-rain scent is Mag Mell. I found June Gloom '09 nice, but a little too floral for my taste -- that one's more like post-rain in a lovely garden. But if that appeals to you, I highly recommend it!

Mag Mell: The warmth of amber, the puissance of white ginger and the clarity of verbena, with fresh green grass, lush sage and cleansing droplets of summer rain.

i second what ivyandpeony said: garden path with chickens gives me that exact feeling you describe.

Garden Path With Chickens sounds the best so far - I'm not a big fan of florals, it is more the wet grass scent I was after.

I wouldn't worry. I get zero florals from Garden Path with Chickens. Just oodles of grass and ivy.

The only problem with it is that it fades rather fast on me and has a very slight hint of something artificial about it after a while, kind of like those washing powders that are supposed to make your clothes smell really fresh. But no florals whatsoever.

Ditto on the no floral in Garden Path with Chickens, it's one of the things I remarked in my own notes on it. "Grass-hay-meadow, very fresh-plants-outdoors, an open field. Does not read as floral really, it's not a sweet scent." I also love Mag Mell, which is very bright & sunny to me. I haven't tried many of the others mentioned.

And... after re-reading your original post again, you must try Garden Path With Chickens.