Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
kebechet

I need help with a database.

I'm having trouble keeping all of the info by hand now. :? I used to make 3x5 cards with everyone's info on it... likes, dislikes, what they've ordered, nicknames, astro info, etc... but I just can't keep up. Can anyone help me with creating a dbase? I'm an idjit when it comes to things like this.

I'm NOT a naturally organized and orderly person. Pisces with a Libra rising and an Aries moon, you know. 8)

Oh, I wish that I could remember how! I learned how to in business school, but hated it so much that I think I have blocked it from my memory. I know we used Microsoft's program for it, though.

Jenny :P

I love Microsoft works. It's so easy to manipulate! I don't currently own the program, but I know how to use it...

I once kept up with over 500 auction donations and all their info on it... and Works made it really easy. If I had access to it, i'd offer in a heartbeat!

Good luck, wish I could be more helpful!

I would love to say "I can happily do it for you", but I am entering last semester of (computing) degree and all my brain power (what little is left) must be directed towards that. If you were to ask in July I would jump at the chance.... but I'm sure there are plenty of people on here capable right now :D .

Sorry :P I would have loved to help out.

Oh, I wish that I could remember how! I learned how to in business school, but hated it so much that I think I have blocked it from my memory. I know we used Microsoft's program for it, though.

Jenny  :P

I used Lotus for a long time, but that was eons ago, and my knowledge of Excel is sorely limited. :D

H'lo Kebechet -

Not to speak for Q'spice, but I imagine this kind of thing to be second nature to her.

I use Microsoft Excel to keep track of things in table format. I know it's not the most sophisitcated way, but if you're not looking to do a lot of data manipulation then it's OK.

For instance, I would make headings at the top with name, date of birth, preferences - all of those things - then simply put all the info beneath (one line per person). That way, you could use the features of Excel to sort the data. For example, you could find all the Cancers in your customer base. Or, all the people who like Vanilla.

H'lo Kebechet -

Not to speak for Q'spice, but I imagine this kind of thing to be second nature to her.

I use Microsoft Excel to keep track of things in table format.  I know it's not the most sophisitcated way, but if you're not looking to do a lot of data manipulation then it's OK.

For instance, I would make headings at the top with name, date of birth, preferences - all of those things - then simply put all the info beneath (one line per person). That way, you could use the features of Excel to sort the data.  For example, you could find all the Cancers in your customer base.  Or, all the people who like Vanilla.

That's exactly what I need... something searchable. Plus, it's so important to me to know what comp imps I've already sent -- there's something embarassing about sending people duplicates. I feel... irresponsible or thoughtless when that happens. :D

I know this is a little like playing favorites, but I do want to red flag orders that come from people on this board, Lush and Bust. :P

Quantum [GODDESS!!!] has been so helpful in creating our search function, I'd HATE to bother her by asking her to slave over the site even more.

Edited because I'm experiencing a chocolate high that is impairing my typing.

Access is pretty much the "perfect" way to keep track of your information. You enter the info into fields, and then you can ask it to query for certain info. For example, you want to see everyone who's ever ordered Snake Oil. You can get a list of that. You want to see everyone you've shipped out to in the last week. That, too. When you have your database set up exactly how you want it, you can create a little form that pops up with the field names and you just fill in the blanks.

I'm teaching myself Access, and got a pretty easy book - Quick Course in Access2000 - from Microsoft Press (mspress.microsoft.com) that gets you started. I've managed to slog though it enough to change our office info over from Excel to Access, but I call a friend for help with more complicated stuff. I'm waiting for the staff learning series here at the university to have their once-a-semester class on using the program for those kinds of details. You might look into a local vo-tech type program if you're wanting a faster start than learning from the book.

Let me know what you decide to use. A university I attended previously provided copies of Office XP Professional, which has Works, Excel, Access, and more. For some reason, they sent me two sets of discs, and when I tried to return the extra set, was told to keep it, as it was more trouble to accept the return than to have me keep it. Might keep you from having to buy new software ...

Good luck - and congratulations on having created something so wonderful you can't keep up with all the requests for it! :P

I wish I wasn't in the middle of a system upgrade at work and moving at home. I would love to design a database for you. If you haven't figured out anything by March, I will probably have some spare time by then to put it together for you in Access. I think you could probably use it with a run-time version so you wouldn't have to have the full version of Access.

-Nicole

Ditto........Access is your answer. Much more simplified and geared towards what you need it for.

:oops: I have the feeling I'm the one of the main reasons you can't keep info on a 3x5 card anymore :P

Oh and when I start my new job, I'll be going to Access classes (along with Evil Excel).

We use FileMaker Pro at work for our databases, but we're Mac-based. We use it for keeping track of writers and reviewers to make sure we don't hassle people who are going overseas for the summer or produced crap the last time we gave them work.

I work with Excel primarily at work and have dabbled in Access; I'll be happy to build you a database in either one! IMO, Excel is easier for just entering data and sorting it; with Access, you have more flexibility in adding more data and looking at it (kinda like pulling an electronic card on a person). Let me know the main headings (like name, address, previous orders, etc) and I'll go to work on it.

Rebecca

for this kind of thing, the flexibility that a database allows is key.

chin - right up my alley but i'm sick and behind in school work (from being sick, not from the search engine) and have 2 tests and 5 major homework assignments this week as well as a rescheduled interview and probably a dr's appt to get better.

beth - you could take this as a starting point if you have access. it's a free template, with 99% of everything you'd want already done for you. you'd hafta add a few relational tables (likes, dislikes) and fields (sign, nickname, bust/lush/here/lj to the customers table) (things like extras could be added to the orders as being free), and to the customer form, you'd hafta add a pair of subforms and maybe a third (if you want their previous orders there too)

I'm having trouble keeping all of the info by hand now.  :? I used to make 3x5 cards with everyone's info on it... likes, dislikes, what they've ordered, nicknames, astro info, etc... but I just can't keep up. Can anyone help me with creating a dbase? I'm an idjit when it comes to things like this.

I'm NOT a naturally organized and orderly person. Pisces with a Libra rising and an Aries moon, you know.  8)

Sure, I could help you put it into a MySQL database online and write a front end for it if you like in PHP...

i *love* php.

I'm having trouble keeping all of the info by hand now.  :? I used to make 3x5 cards with everyone's info on it... likes, dislikes, what they've ordered, nicknames, astro info, etc... but I just can't keep up. Can anyone help me with creating a dbase? I'm an idjit when it comes to things like this.

I'm NOT a naturally organized and orderly person. Pisces with a Libra rising and an Aries moon, you know.  8)

Sure, I could help you put it into a MySQL database online and write a front end for it if you like in PHP...

i *love* php.

if you do that, i can toss the perfumes your way

but personally, i'm not comfortable with it being online without some sort of security above and beyond a plaintext password [unless one of the fancier algorithms are used though then it's not 'xactly plaintext now is it?] because i'm one paranoid sonuvabitch if there's info like my address on it, which is why i suggested access :P

Yeah, Excel is good for accounting, marketing research and personal lists, but Microsoft Access (I'm pretty sure that's what it's called) is great for what you need, Elizabeth. How soon do you want it? I was thinking that maybe you could hire a college student in your area to implement it(including fill it with all your current customers' info) for you and get him/her to show you how to update and maintain it. It's a cheap and time (therefore money) saving idea. Not to mention how much stress and effort it will save you! Good Luck!

Jenny :P

i *love* php.

if you do that, i can toss the perfumes your way

but personally, i'm not comfortable with it being online without some sort of security above and beyond a plaintext password [unless one of the fancier algorithms are used though then it's not 'xactly plaintext now is it?] because i'm one paranoid sonuvabitch if there's info like my address on it, which is why i suggested access :P

indeed... i could probably manage an encrypted password system, and mysql has some of it's own protections. but i don't even know if elizabeth would prefer it online or off. unfortunately, i have no idea about access...

the difficulty of encryption depends on how rigorous you want it over an unencrypted line. :P its not too hard from php, crypt() (or ldap or pgp hacks) will getcha where yer going.

and if you can figure out mysql with php, you can figure out access... it's really not that much different, only instead of having to deal with 2 sets of forms [in the sense of data input/output], you have one. and for the most part, it's good about picking out the pieces on its own.

Hi Kebechet. Not sure whether you're actually looking to hire someone, but I have a friend who's awesome at designing databases. In fact, she designed mine for my massage therapy business. She's up here in NoCal, but I believe she'd be able to do it via phone (not sure about that however - but I could check, if you're interested).

I'm also going to recommend Access, though unfortunately I don't know how much it costs. It's far from a perfect program, but it's what I use to track faculty and interlibrary loan requests at my librarian job, which means it gets heavy duty use, all day, every day. Of the major database options out there, it's probably one of the better ones for keeping simple records as it's easily searchable, and once you get past the learning curve you can create some very powerful and specific search queries. 'Course it's a Microsoft product so as always, YMMV.

*waves* Offering Jef's services here! He's a Lotus Notes expert and that would be an ideal application to use for what you want. Dead easy and very secure. We also have a server here it could live on, potentially.

Drop me a line if you'd like to talk about it?

Might be helpful to add customers' forum handles (supposing they do post here) to the records as well. It would certainly add a wealth of information to any other information on us you have tucked away. Would be interesting to see how many of us you've already placed a name and address to. :P

Access is the way to go - hands down. It's a more user-friendly version of basic SQL programs, but allows you to do all the SQL stuff you want. If you already have info in Excel, or in another table/database format, you can import it into Access and it will create a table just like the one you had before. Also - as more and more people are using Access instead of other d-base programs such as FoxPro, Lotus, etc., you can probably get more help with it if you run into a problem (a query acts buggy, etc.).

It might take a little time to figure it out in terms of setting stuff up, but with an Access for dummies book or a friend on the phone who knows the program, it should be OK. If you have all your info ready to go, even in a Word document, you can probably send it to someone and they'll take care of it for you, and send you back a nice, pretty Access database with forms for new customer info, specialized queries, etc. I've noticed that a lot of people are offering to help - and I'm no exception :P

I'd go with Access. It has it's own little wizard for invoicing. You can set all your clients up, and enter order's, price codes etc for invoicing. The data entry page is far more presentable and easier to read than a spreadsheet. The reporting is easy, and you can export your data to excel. You can do mail merges etc. It's fairly simple, I taught myself how to use it in about 4 hours. In that time I had set up my invoicing database, costs, customers, the look of my screens and reports.

Kylie

Elizabeth: I am good at programming/databases/web applications so if you ever need help with anything I'd be happy to do it free of charge or for some free samples :P

-Ann