Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
gris gris

Cancer

chamomile / lilac / lemon
rose

This is a beautiful watery rose scent. The rose is darkened up a bit by something murky and green I just can't place...

This smell reminds me very much of the paintings of Ophelia's drowning. It's beautiful, flowery, murky, watery, with an undercurrent of romantic yearning and emotional depth. Very appropriate for Cancer types!

Very very lemony when first applied, but within an hour it dried down to a very wet floral on me. Though lilac is not a tropical flower, the wetness of the smell reminds me of Hawaii. Beautiful. I wish the rose note was a little stronger - this the lilac is very strong. But that's just my chemistry today - gris gris said the rose stood out for her.

A few hours later: how pretty! I think everything just had to mellow out for me to truly enjoy.

For some reason, I really expected the lilac to dominate this scent, and it didn't at all, in the bottle or on. The first scent I got, in the bottle and wet on, I at first couldn't place--it was totally familiar, and I kept thinking "What is this?? I know this!!" After a few seconds I realized it was rose! I felt like a big dope for not recognizing rose, but it really was different from most rose scents--it wasn't rose the flower, it was rose the herb. It took me straight back to when I was a freshfaced little Junior High School witch, studying herb lore and being socially outcast.

I know the other notes were there, but they were like the support staff of a public personality--this is almost a single rose note for me, in my favorite incarnation. Rose is actually my birth flower and my lifelong favorite, but I don't tend to wear it as a fragrance because it can be so overpowering. The rose that Cancer becomes on me is perfect.

This is actually how I expected The Empress to smell, after reading its reviews. Cancer and The Empress are sisters. The Empress is the elder sister who is more sophisticated and reserved; she was a business major. Cancer is the baby sister who is more laid back and bohemian; she has a Liberal Arts degree. :P

First Impression

Lemon, lemon, lemon. :P This smells *so* lemony, it almost reminds me of Embalming Fluid, only more floral. As for the rest....I get an herbal rosey smell....But the rose isn't super strong, nor a recognizable rose scent; just a garden rose that's been in bloom for a couple of days.

Wearing It

For once my skin doesn't smell like rose to the exclusion of everything else -- instead, it's decided that the lilac should come through. Thank god, because I hate rosey perfumes but adore lilac with all my heart. But for some reason, instead of being the wispy unsubstantial lilac, this smells like a lilac that can be grasped. It still has that sweet lemon sherbet smell (the lemon scents go very sweet on my skin for some reason), and the chamomile makes me feel very relaxed (reminds me of the Sleepy Time tea). And the rose is there, but not going powdery like it's prone to doing and not dominating the scent...but just being a gentle, subtle rose. And while the lilac is more pronounced than the other notes, they're very well blended, feeling as though they belong together.

This perfume is really nice. It is floral, but without being that too femme, too romantic floral. The chamomile and lemon lend this scent a bit of sweet, herby wisdom, so instead you get a soft spoken, tender scent. Admittedly, I'm not really soft spoken, but I can be tender; and amazingly this perfume doesn't feel as though it clashes with me (so many other interpretations of Cancerian traits feel out of place when compared with me). It doesn't capture our more negative traits, but that's just as well. It seems to be a really solid interpretation: watery, emotive, nurturing, and, yes, just the tiniest bit romantic.

Edited by hypothermya

I'm not a huge fan of florals, but I do like some of them. This was one that definitely got my attention. I liked the strength of it and it had good throw. The chamomile added softness to it and calmed me a bit. The lilac and rose blend so well, you can barely differentiate them. The lemon just gave it a little fruity kick and was not the unbearable type of lemon you get with some fruit blends. This was very lovely. I put this on at lunch at work after wearing a scent to work that I didn't particularly care for. This really cheered me up.

In bottle - Lemony

On me first reaction - lemon pledge

After wearing a bit - nothing but the scent of freshly cut roses and strong.

Will update if changes again.....

This is a tender, romantic, emotional kind of floral... very Cancerian indeed!

The wet stage is a bit reminiscent of Delirium, with the rose/lemon combination, but instead of going all fresh and crisp the way Delirium does, Cancer dries down to a rounded, slightly mysterious rose with a liquid quality to it that is quite remarkable.

I remember the discussion we had a while ago about how our moon sign rules our scent preferences more than our sun sign does. Apparently this applies here, as Cancer was one of my favourite BPAL rose blends whereas I would not have ordered Aquarius (pine and I don't get along all that well).

hm. okay, well, cancer wasn't really to my taste. it was sharp, green, and aquatic. being a cancer, i really expected the watery smell, but argh, the sharpness! there isn't really much to say about this blend, as it wasn't complex, but for those of you who wanted to try it when the celestials were discontinued, give delirium a try. they're similar, but delirium doesn't seem to go as wonky on my skin.

i think i'll stick with ophelia for my temperamental, emotional moods. :P

at first: very, very light. i think i can just smell something a tiny bit spicy, but it's hard to tell.

on: this reminds me of going to a wake, but not in a sad or negative way. it's got an odd sense of familiarity to it. i think i may smell lilacs or jasmine, but i'm not sure. it's as if the flowers have been sitting in a small room that doesn't get any light, if that makes any sense.

1 hour later: this is a bit sweeter, but still mostly those stifled flowers.

4 hours later: i'm getting a bit of sharpness, probably from some sort of citrus fruit. i'm mostly smelling the lilac underneath that, though, with a soft rose mixed in.

7 hours later: the rose is taking over more now.

overall: i really like this. it's an interesting scent and sadly comforting.

In bottle: Whoa! Lemon! Lilac and lemon for a light spring fragrance. Chamomile and rose make this a very calming, gentle fragrance.

On me: It's still very mellow, but as it dries the lemon comes back into prominence. This is a very familiar fragrance. It makes me think of an outdoor garden in the sun. It isn't sweltering hot yet; spring has just begun and the flowers are still fresh and new.

Lemon and lilac, while enjoyable seperately, do not blend well on my skin so I doubt I'll wear this. But it's quite pretty, and I'm sorry it's gone.

First sniff: In the vial, Cancer smells like apples and mint to me.

Wearing: And on my skin it suddenly morphs into the listed ingredients… rose and lemon, with a softer flower in the background that must be lilac, and the apple and mint are gone entirely. It was pretty much straight rose after a while, and not quite me.

In the bottle: Lemon, lilac, rose

First on: It's the epitome of a Cancer. Rose & Lilac in the background mingling romantically, with lemon up front. I think it's the tart of the lemon that makes it such a perfect Cancer scent, because it makes it somehow more emotional.

Drydown: It's stayed almost the same, and actually I really love it. I grew out of my rose phase in high school, and haven't really looked back. This one is just so pure, emotional and lovely.

In the bottle

aquatic, citrussy, floral

On

Nice. It's a bright, citrussy, sweet herbal blend. Wow this is really nice and bright so different and perfect.

I know this sweet note I just can't place it. It's almost melony. Ishtar is so right, the wet stage is a bit reminiscent of Delirium. All citrussy and all over the place. Yum.

30 minutes

As it dries the rose comes out and really makes it's presence known. And some rose blends just do not agree with me and they just wind up smelling vile... I'm just lucky that way. Well the rose in this blend is doing the same thing. Before my skin morphed it I thought this smelled alot like Lush's "Amandopondo" with the lemon and the rose but this blend is stronger. It's also got the lilac thing going on now, that must be the sweet melon like scent that I was smelling earlier.

Throw:

a bit more than average yes

Scent category:

Aqua/floral/fruity

Summary

Initially the smell is just so outstanding, it's bright, sparkling, citrus. Sunny and almost sparkling...then it gets more floral with the rose and then the lilac comes in so that it's equal parts floral and citrus now. If I could freeze it at the initialy applied stage it would be a 5 star blend for me.

Purchase again?

Possibly.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Cancer is a very juicy, fruity rose on me, and a bit too sharp for my tastes. First on I get some serious lemon, sharp and sweet. After a few minutes, a wet rose smell begins to bloom behind the lemon.

After a half hour, the lemon is fading away and the rose plus another sweet floral scent are dominating. Still, this has a wet and fruity quality to it. It's almost like a rose that one could drink, if that makes any sense to anyone.

After a few hours, hints of an herbal and slightly powdery rose. It's a nice rose fragrance... but not nice enough to warrant a full bottle (plus, I am already spoken for by Whip & The Peacock Queen :P ).

Cancer - I had to pay an arm and a leg for my bottle of this, but it was worth every penny. I think this is my favorite summer scent! Before I tried cancer, I was concerned about two of the four elements in it -- lilac and lemon, both of which are very "iffy" on me and in most cases, don't work out for me. However, I'm just stunned by the simple perfection of this blend. Each note is in perfect balance with the others and none of them dominate the blend. Lilac is often too strong and heady for me when in a perfume oil (although I can't get enough of the actual flower), but it blends beautifully with the rose to create a strong -- but not remotely overwhelming -- floral fragrance. The lemon brightens up the scent, but it doesn't give it that weird lemon Pledge touch at all. It just makes the scent a bit more spritely than it would be otherwise. The chamomile is the absolute perfect note to round out the blend. It keeps the blend soft and mellow while adding an herbaceous coating to the whole thing. The scent lasts and lasts and I didn't think it had very good throw, but someone just complimented me on my perfume when she was standing a good four or five feet away from me. I am sad this has long been discontinued, but am thrilled to have procured a good amount and this isn't one I'm going to not wear for fear of using up -- it's just way too pretty not to wear a LOT this summer time!

I was expecting an aquatic, but it makes sense that Cancer would get a romantic, floral blend. And it make equal sense that it hates me. :D

It's lovely and refreshing in the vial - gentle flowers and sugared lemon - but as soon as it touches my skin it turns to an evil, powdery floral. It smells kind of but not quite like violet does on me - maybe that's the lilac mentioned by others.

Not at all me, in concept or in scent preference. It actually reminds me a bit of how the TAL blend, Lionheart, smelled on me. :P

In the imp: Sugared, sweetened lemons, and a hint of chamomile. This is juicy!!!

Wet: Chamomile becomes more prominent, and the florals linger in the background.

Dry: This a perfectly blended concoction!!! All four notes are in perfect harmony!!!

This scent is lovely!!! It's fresh and flirty!!! I love it!!! :P

In the bottle: Bright yellow oil. Lemon, chamomile, and a tiny bit of rose. Quite sour/astringent. There's a dry, powdery edge. Still, it feels pretty Cancerian in vibe.

Wet: Gentler, less sour. Lemon is still the main note, followed by chamomile, but the rose is stronger - it's white rose. I'm getting lilac, clean, slightly heady and slightly soapy.

Dry: More chamomile, which sweetens the blend...and more of that white rose. The lemon has worn off a bit, and the lilac remains faint. A touch powdery.

Summary: Very soft, lemony powdered rose and chamomile with a hint of soapy lilac. Extremely simplistic blend. Low throw and fades a fair bit.

I really get the lemon in this at the beginning. But overall, it's a watery rose blend. Like a rose dunked in cool spring water. I'm not a huge rose fan, so I think I'll pass this along.