Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
abejita

Red Moon 2007

... Our blend for this Moon mixes traditional lunar oils with the warmth of amber, red musk, and heliotrope, the russet haze of dragon's blood resin, sunflower, and crushed orange peel, with a dusting of summertime herbs: chamomile, rue, elder flower and marigold.

Sniffing the bottle, it's red musk, dragon's blood, amber, and heliotrope.

Wet on my skin, I'm picking up the red musk, amber, heliotrope, dragon's blood, and orange peel. This scent is reminding me a lot of The Haunted Palace, except not quite as sweet.

Dries down to a spicy red musk, heliotrope, and amber. I love this scent and glad I took a chance buying a bottle without having tried it previously.

I got this as a freebie from a forumite and I can't decide if I like it or not. This reminds me a lot of Kabuki, maybe, but... not. Or rather, it did while it was still drying. Now it's got some minced orange peel and some amber (which normally does not work on me) and dragon's blood. But the chamomile adds it's charming sweetness.

Hmm...

I think there will be someone out there who adores this scent and will give it a happy home. It's pleasant enough, but not my favorite. Trade bag.

Edited by Lamia

Red Moon 2007

In the Bottle: Red musk and something deeper somehow.

Wet: Slammed by red musk. I love me some red musk, but I'd like more to this. Sweetness that I identify as dragon's blood (since it's the same sticky sweetness I get from the Ars Draconis blends).

Drydown: Shifting into something sharp, almost dusty. Guess it's the herbs working together overall, maybe this amber isn't working for me, though it could be heliotrope. I really wish I could try some SN Heliotrope as I think it might be this note that my nose/ skin dislikes.

Verdict: It's a nice blend, but not quite what I thought it'd be. It's sharper and dustier than I had anticipated. Also seems too similar to some other strongly red musk blends. I'm grateful for this bottle, but I think I'll swap it to a better home.

Red Moon

In the Bottle: rather nice actually, call me crazy but to me there is a hint of root beer, must be the "light spiciness" mentioned by others

Wet: cinnamon candy w/ very little orange and something else?

Dry: Dragons Blood soap, maybe a lil astringent, the DB is really strong, overpowering, also seems to cause sneezing, and sinus pressure :thud:

I tested this without having the notes in front of me.

Wet and freshly applied, it smells like sandalwoody root beer, and after a few minutes, some dark muskiness comes out to play. Some of the notes are going the way that Snake Oil of this age tends to go on me, so I'm inclined to think it shares components with Snake oil. Still, can't shake the root beeriness. It's even got a bit of lightness in there--I don't want to say "bubbly" because it's not bubbly the way the champagne note is bubbly or even the way ozoney scents smell light and bubbly, but it's got some lightness, maybe florals or herbs, very gentle and nice. As it sits, the amber goes the deliciously powdery route that it tends to on me. Yum. It's got the same sort of sexy sensuality that Snake Oil does, but the powdery amber is also tempered with the flowers.

Now that I'm looking at the notes, I'm surprised it lists dragon's blood resin--dragon's blood is a definite NO note for me, it goes sharp and gross. Maybe it has something to do with the age of the bottle, or maybe it's a batch variation, but I get 0 dragon's blood out of this. I'm also delighted that Felicity above me found root beer as well--I'm not crazy!

As it dies down, the herby florals come to the front and put on a lovely show. It's possible that there's a hint of sweet and metallic dragon's blood way in the back on this blend, but I'm not concerned about it.

This is a fabulous part of my collection. I won't have to cry so much when I run out of my old Snake Oil!

Red musk & rose. What the? I haven't read rose in any descriptions but it's pretty much the only thing I can smell. I can also smell some Sassafras. It goes powdery but in a good way (most perfumes do that on me anyway). Anyways this is very floraly with an hint of spice.

Might be my fav BPAL so far.

It appears the dragon's blood resin is more predominant in Red Moon '07 and I attribute it to the red musk (well and the fact that Red Moon '04 has been aging for the past 7 years!!) However, once it dries down, the orange peel, sunflower and marigold start to peak through and really tempers the musk and blood. The herbs appear medicinal at first, but they too quickly settle. I love '04 just a tiny bit more, but give this one a few more years and it will be liquid gold just like '04.

Wet: Mmm. Sweet dragon's blood and sexy red musk. That's nice.

Dry: Lovely. The DB isn't overpowering, and neither is the red musk, they're in perfect harmony, with faint florals swirling around and through. Lovely!!

In the bottle: Red musk and a sweetness that's definitely part amber and part dragon's blood but also might be something lighter, like the heliotrope or the orange peel. 

On my skin: 

Wet, the dragon's blood gets tamped down a bit as the red musk amps up. Not complaining about that since red musk tends to work with my skin chemistry while dragon's blood tends to work against it. 

As it dries, the sweetness reasserts itself, though the red musk is more than enough to keep it grounded. One of the sweet notes does have a citrus quality to it, so I'm guessing that's the orange peel. (This is also the time in a perfume oil where orange tends to be strongest on me, so...)

Overall, it's most similar to Scherezade on me, though Red Moon is decidedly sweeter and less spicy. Due no doubt to the red musk, this has throw and wear length for days.