Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
halcyon_flight

Bitter smelling blends

I've found in my experimentation that almost all BPAL blends I try go sugary on my skin. That's all well and good, but I'd like _some_ scents that have bite, an herbal bitterness, or a spice that makes your nostrils flare. Any suggestions?

Also Bitter Moon will be available for a short time this weekend (maybe tonight!) but nobody knows yet what that one will smell like. : )

Ooooooo exciting *hangs around the update page*

Djinn sounds perfect.

Also, another thing I'm looking for: angry sage, if that's a useful explaination at all.

Angry, herbal bitterness... might want to try the Panacea Bitch. Or, maybe not, it doesn't really have what I would consider a good smell, lol. But it's definitely a bitter, angry herbal on me.

Antony & Lear might be good sage blends for you to try out.

Masabakes has an earthy bitterness to it, but I still really like it.

And I'll second the rec for the LE Count Dracula (or Dracul if you want a GC).

Heh... for some reason I *totally* understand the "angry sage" description. :D

Bewitched is very heavy sage and berry on me... settles down into a musky berry almost masculine scent though so not sure it's quite what you're looking for.

Tenochtitlan... more sagey overtones. Definitely fits the description of bitter as well.

Mag Mell is very heavy sage and lemon verbena... settles into a fresher "meadow"-type scent on me though, so again, not quite sure if it's "angry" enough.

The Scales of Deprivation ... this one has angry sage, angry sandalwood, angry vetiver, angry frankincense! :D The list goes on and on.

I'll also second the call for Antony. :P

As for bitter...

Midnight was extremely bitter on me and I don't even know which note caused it.

Mata Hari... bitter coffee scent. Very acrid coffee bean on me.

Nero... do you like angry rosemary as well?? Cause this may full out be your winner if you do. Very bitter angry rosemary.

Asphodel... a creepy floral nightmare... like not nightmare as in it's badly-scented... it's just a twisted devious and slightly bitter floral.

Baku is your bet for bitter herbal. Kick you in the head lavender right here!

Edited by PilotKitten

I've found in my experimentation that almost all BPAL blends I try go sugary on my skin. That's all well and good, but I'd like _some_ scents that have bite, an herbal bitterness, or a spice that makes your nostrils flare. Any suggestions?

mandrake has the herbal bitterness and is delightful.

Baku, Mantis, and Tenochtitlan sound like winners. Bewitched is soooo already on the list.

Another question. I do like to toe the line as far as masculine/feminine scents, but there can always be too much. I tried Lear and it was a bit too masculine for me. How would Count Dracula, Anthony, and Nero compare to Lear in masculinity?

Another question. I do like to toe the line as far as masculine/feminine scents, but there can always be too much. I tried Lear and it was a bit too masculine for me. How would Count Dracula, Anthony, and Nero compare to Lear in masculinity?

I haven't tried CD, but Anthony seemed less masculine on me -- the leather gives it a nice unisex warmth that Lear's cedar-herbs just don't have. Oberon is very sagey, though on me it isn't at all "angry".

For bitter herbals, I'd recommend Aizen-myoo, most of the non-flower and non-mushroom Rappaccini's Garden blends, Djinn, Arcana, Nero, possibly Temple of Dreams and Nanshe.

On me, Tenochtitlan was extremely sweet, but I amp hyssop.

I really like Antony wearing for myself. Count Dracula was too much for me though, even if I liked the bitter masculine scents (of which it definitely is). And Nero was the same... for me at least.

I rather like wearing masculing blends too but the same ones I like to smell on my man (the sexy sweet florals and teas) rather than the insanely musky masculine ones.

Weeeeeird...your skin must absolutely eat honey!

yeeeah, I forgot to take into account that my skin chemistry is INSANE, so you might want to disregard Sudha Segara :P