Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Lurid, licentious, and lucrative: pomegranate, tobacco leaf, patchouli, wild berries, pine pitch, oak-aged vanilla, and pink pepper.

I didn’t participate in the actual Trick/Treat inquisition shy individual that I am..but I was so very curious about them; lucky for me I was able to procure one of each.
The pomegranate, wild berries and patchouli is what sold me on this. I would have liked to have tried Trick #1 but I didn’t want to press my luck.
Initial sniff from bottle: Smells a bit tarry..kind of..must be the pine pitch with the tobacco and a dark fruity slant kind of weaves out from the bottle. I think I also smell the pepper..which for me most often doesn’t bode well..as I sometimes get queasy when it’s full blown.
Applied wet on skin: Berries…and yes the patchouli..but it’s tempered nicely with that tobacco and the vanilla..although oak-aged does impart almost a cask-like sweetness. That pine is there at the base too..
Couple of minutes on skin: Patchouli is smoldering a bit..but it’s kept in check by the tobacco and pine pitch. It is a bit of a dark and heavy scent..but it isn’t foreboding..but definitely not lighthearted either. This doesn’t have huge throw..but it’s content to steadily and softly waft close on my skin. The berries/fruit do lend a degree of fruity sweetness but it’s used in a supporting role so that’s not the dominant waft on me.
Fifteen minutes later: Still smoldering away..just softer..patchouli is in the forefront..but it isn’t a “dirty” patchouli..the pine pitch tempers that a bit..and the berries are still lending their sweetness..it’s sheer though not super concentrated.
Hour laterHow the heck did this happen??? Softened..considerably…this shouldn’t happen I mean come ON..there is patchouli in here. Since when does patchouli decide to take a nap??? Hmph. I might not actually realize it..but maybe I am already at drydown phase???
Drydown: Sweet and soft patchouli…just a tinge of it. This lasted actually pretty darn long; 9+ hours with throw soft to average.
Bottom Line: Trick #2 definitely fits the bill for a bit hot and heavy fragrance. I like it..very much..and will slate it for wear in the upcoming months. Good choice for fall/winter.

Very nice. How can a perfume be utterly feminine, and utterly male at the same time? Is that the trick itself? It smells sweet and girly.. and then behind it all.. it's a dirty sweaty dude wearin a cowboy hat. Really weird. But I like it :P

Oh. Oh.Oh.

This is gorgeous.

Pomegranate, tobacco,and patchouli. Dark, dirty, sophisticated, slightly sweet. Sniffing close to the skin,I can smell the vanilla, and my first application dried after about 3-4 hours to a woody vanilla/patchouli. The throw isn't huge, but I didn't slather because I only have one precious imp! Can't stop sniffing this, though. Delicious!

The quest for a bottle begins!

in the vial: oh. holy. moly. like yummy hazelnut yummy yummy yummy yumminess :D

wet on skin: the tobacco is lending the same delectable sweetness that was in Pinched with four Aces and it's working just as well in this blend! :D

dry down: a delicious, slightly more smoky alternative to Pinched alright. sweet, slightly foodie, but spicy and mellow at the same time.

in all: just wonderful- now i just have to find a whole bottle! :P

I definitely get the tobacco and pepper on this, esp. when wet. After that, I get the berries and the pine. This is a darker, spicier scent than I typically go for.

Esp. with the tobacco and pepper being so amped up.

I think I'll pass this on to a more loving home.

In bottle: I am so sorry I missed this when it was new. I’m not a patchouli fan, but it blends beautifully with the vanilla and pine here. Berries are present, but not intrusive. The pepper gives it edge. Wet: Rich smoky vanilla, patchouli tobacco, pine, and pepper with understated fruit. It manages to be foodie and sexy masculine at the same time. It reminds me a little of ventriloquist dummy, but is richer, sweeter, sexier. The pomegranate gets stronger as it warms. Dry: patchouli and pomegranate with some pine.

Hmm..this scent on my skin is overwhelmed by the wood & patchouli. There is a sweetness behind it & a bit of the pink pepper spice. I'm really hoping that this changes when the perfume comes to life a bit more becuase I want the berries, pomegranite and vanilla! *hopes*

Drier still...this is smelling like 3 things. Forest, smoke and a slight foody edge. It's a dark dark scent and not one I would normally wear. It's interesting though and every now and then I get wafts of cassia.

Where are all the berries???

Hmmm...this is staying dark and fiery on me. I feel like there are alot of things I'm not getting.

I think I might have to swap this one...

Oh yes...this scent is just so evil :twisted: ...seriously, that was the first thing that came to mind, "essence of evil"! Deep dark woods sweetened slightly by wild berries with a bite of tart pomegranate are shrouded in a hazy, bewitching smoke of patchouli, and I think it's the pepper that, along with the pomegranate, gives this one some extra "zing". Definitely seeking out more to fill my partial bottle!

First on, I get the patch. It's lovely and smooth and deep. The pink pepper is there too. It's almost cinammony in it's spice. The berries are there too, giving it a bit of sweet juiciness. The oaky vanilla creates this base on which everything else stands and it is a lovely base. Very smooth and creamy almost but not foody at all. I want more tobacco leaf but I'm not getting it. It's a lovely scent but I don't think I need a bottle.

Origin:

Partial 5mL bought on LiveJournal. I originally had a bottle I received in the Inquisition but sold it years ago, so this is a retest of an aged bottle. :)

Preconceived notions:

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this, but evidently I haven't. In all honesty, I don't remember what Trick #2 smells like, just that I liked it back in 2006, but not enough to keep my bottle, even though it was the scent I wanted the most of the four possibilities.

There are good notes and bad notes here, but for the most part, Trick #2 is right up my alley. I love patchouli and tobacco and I like vanilla, pink pepper (in moderation), oak and pine pitch. The berries and pomegranate could go either way. Pomegranate tends to smell like gummy bears on me, but I can wear Mme. Moriarty without a problem, so since Trick #2 has some similar notes, I'm hoping that it'll go the same way.

First sniff:

Dark, woody and slightly sweet. I'm getting the oak first and foremost, then tobacco and vanilla and a hint of dark red fruit. It's a dark, foreboding sort of scent. And that's just the sort of thing I like. :twisted:

Wet on skin:

Trick #2 goes through a very short stage where it goes slightly funky on me, just like Mme. Moriarty does (although Mme. Moriarty stops doing that with a few years aging and Trick is more than a few years old at this point), but then it steers itself back on track and I get a very autumnal scent that makes me think of burning leaves, oak trees and the faint scent of the last of the year's fruits wafting on a breeze.

Dry down:

Honestly, this is what I want Samhain to smell like, as weird as that is, considering that they don't share many notes. Trick #2 is one of the Halloween-iest Halloween scents I've come across, which I wouldn't have expected from the notes.

It's slightly sinister smelling, an weirdly atmospheric. It's like bobbing for pomegranates in a spooky forest mixed with dark, rich, non-foody vanilla.

The bottom line:

I really like Trick #2 and I'm glad I gave it another try. :wub2:

Now I'm wishing I hadn't gotten rid of my first bottle because I'm a slatherer and I hate having to ration scents I love.