Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Ace of Pentacles

This is very earthy, in the vein of Nocnitsa, but very damp and wet earthy. In fact, it turns to Beth's snow note on me--too cologne-y and cold. Oh well. If your skin doesn't amp it like mine and you like the earthy, woodsy scents, you may like this one.

this is amazing. it smells like i'm sitting around a campfire in the woods, only it's better than camping because there are no bugs. i get that smoky, woody smell coupled with an earth, dark foresty kinda scent. i don't want to wear it but i want it as a room scent or possibly on a boy. *plots*

In the vial: Very earthy, nice clean patchouli smell. Upturned soil, with the slightest edge of pine.

Wet: This becomes piney very quick, but it is not a cool pine like Black Forest or Noctnitsa. It very much clears the head.

Drydown and wear: This is basically a combination of pine and earth, with an edge toward the warmth of earth. It's a scent that really seems to capture the moments of transition between fall and winter. At times, I do get a "Vicks" whiff from it (so maybe there's something menthol as well).

This was a lab frimp that I frimped off to someone else last week not long before the discontinuation announcement. I kind of wish I could try it again for a better review, but if I loved it enough I would've kept it! :P

In the imp - This was a dark, sweet almond scent.

On - Almond keeping it sweet, but there is an earthiness underneath - can detect the patchouli & moss, not so much the pine or honeysuckle though.

Dry - Not unpleasant at all, but too masculine for my preferences - patchouli will do that sometimes.

In the vial, this reminds me of my beloved King of Clubs.

On the skin, wet, there’s a touch of evergreen or juniper. As it dries, it gets stronger and starts to mask the dirt/loam/moss smell. Now it’s backing off and the earth smells comes forward. There’s patchouli too adding that twang that it sometimes has and supporting the earth/dirt/loam/moss smells.

Sniffed from a distance, it’s more like King of Clubs than it is when my nose is plastered against my wrist. Looking at the notes now, I see why, they share a lot of the same notes. I bet if you added a blast of amber this would be very close. But anyway – that’s neither here nor there. I do enjoy this scent a lot. I’m not sure if I need a bottle as I’ve got KoC and that is my ultimate dirt scent, and this is good, but not that good. If I was on my last drops though, I’d snatch up a bottle in a second.

i kind of like the smell of this, but am not sure i would really wear it. i am getting pine, vetiver and eucalyptus from this. it has a very antiseptic quality to it, and is a bit cold, almost like mint, but not mint...must be eucalyptus? very clean and piney overall.

Wow, this is a bit more... something than I expected. It's pure clean fresh DIRT and crushed evergreens. Mostly pine, I think, and a very pungent, sticky pine at that. Definitely an appropriate smell - you don't get much earthier than this - but not quite what I was expecting. It's very grounding, makes you feel rooted.

This is incredibly strong - and unfortunately the particular imp I have tends to dribble more out on your fingers when you close the thing up, so you end up with at least double the amount of oil you intended... :P

It's... well, pleasant, in an unusual sort of way, but a bit too much straight up dirt and forest for my tastes as a perfume. It makes an excellent room scent, though (and it instantly obliterates and pulverizes any other unpleasant smell that might be lurking around - useful!)

in the imp: that's earthy alright! reminds me of Graveyard Dirt, in all the best ways. :D

wet on skin: the oakmoss is coming to the fore and it is LOVELY. it reads a little green and a little vanilla, sort of like Tonka Bean. i LOVE it. :P

dry down: warm, very earthy. like finding a dry spot in a cave in the middle of a snow storm.

in all: perfect sense for the most important of the Pentacle cards. my suit is pentacles, and this is just brilliant for all that suit entails: material and earthly riches, prosperity, and being grounded. total winner!

:D

In the vial: Pine first, then earthy and mossy, but also sweet, not bitter or dark. Not my style, but appealing.

Wet: The pine spikes but then is overtake immediately by sweeter notes. I get patchouli first, then floral. There's something darker beneath, but still with the appealing richness of green about it.

Twenty minutes: Sharper now, mossy, but with delicious patchouli-floral notes not too far from the surface. I like it.

One hour: Fairly green and herby, it smells more like a man's scent now. But there's enough floral in it to sweeten it. I still like it, but I don't think it's for me.

Two hours: Herby-mossy, still deep green and manly. Still like it.

Three hours: Mostly sour oakmoss now. But it took a long pleasant journey to get there, so I don't begrudge it.

I can definitely see the pine and the deep, damp earth/dirt note from Graveyard Dirt and Noctisa.

On wet however it had a highly menthol note to it, which made it smell like Vick's Vapo Rub. I definitely got more pine at that stage and now that it's close to the hour mark, it's more of a deep, dark earth dirt blend.

In bottle: This reminds me of forest floor. The pine, oakmoss and earth create the illusion of pine needles and moss decaying into rich, black topsoil. Patchouli supports the earth while slightly lifting it’s feel. The honeysuckle and almond are understated and well blended, serving to sweeten it slightly without undermining the dominant effect. Wet: sharper on the skin, with the oakmoss dominant and pine a close second. The earth and patchouli fade into third. The honeysuckle separates more from the almond on the skin. Dry: Mostly oakmoss with a touch of patchouli and pine. It is not as exciting on the skin just generally as it was in the bottle.