Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
meowbites

Seeking grapefruit advice

Hope I'm doing this right>>1st post.

I found out about BPAL thanks to my neverending quest to find the perfect chocolate perfume, so imagine my surprise when I tried Fiouricci by Fiorucci and LOVED it!!! I'm looking for simular scents and I'm finding out I have a love or maybe even a strong fetish for Pink Grapefruit. Seeing as how I need (yes need) to place another Imp order I'm hoping to hear about some BPAL scents that are very Pink Grapefruity, maybe even tropical fruity.

Rose, jasmine and gardenia tend to not mix with me :P and my skin seems to eat softer scents w/n one or two hours. I love scents that make you want to devour the person they're on :D but they don't have to be "foody."

Any recomendations?

Thank you!

i'm sad to say that the big grapefruit scents were discontinued due to a shortage (damn those hurricanes!), but if you can find baobhan sith, it's fabulously grapefruity.

I'm with you on the grapefruit! Indeed, the popular grapefruit scents were discontinued thanks to the hurricane. However, there is still Maegara, which was reformulated but still says grapefruit in it's ingredients. Also, the reviews for R'lyeh all suggest a grapefruit smell - which is actually why I have this scent on order even :P

If you can find it, the limited edition blend The Living Flame has reviews that say 'pink grapefruit'. I agree with them :P

Try scents with yuzu in it. It's a Japanese citrus, similar in smell to a grapefruit.

Aizen-Myoo

R'lyeh (not listed, though I'm almost positive it has yuzu)

R'lyeh is beautiful, but I must have the weird chemistry that doesn't get grapefruit from this. I am glad for this post because I love grapefruit, too. I saw on the news that a study was performed and that men who smelled the scent of grapefruit on women guessed that the women were approximately 6 years younger than their real age. Now, I KNOW I have to get me some grapefruit! :P

Van Van also has a gorgeous grapefruity note. There's a gorgeous creamy sweetgrass/vanillaish undernote as well. :P

I'm thinking of getting a grapefruit scent but I'm confused by the options. Each of the recontinued grapefruit scents has at least one note that I'm worried about.

I find that I lean toward cool, refreshing aquatic scents - neither too sweet nor too dry. The Lady of Shalott is my favorite and, to my nose, fits this description perfectly. Kitsune-Tsuki is also lovely. (On the other hand, spices, amber, non-citrus fruits and cloying florals have a bad track record with me)

I'm dreaming of the smell of a freshly cut, juicy grapefruit, sprinkled with sugar. The Pink Grapefuit single note sounds perfect, but alas it is beyond reach.

So here's my options:

BAOBHAN SITH -- Grapefruit, white tea, apple blossom and ginger.

I liked the ginger in The Lady of Shalott, but in Siren it was too foody. I've never tried anything with white tea or apple blossom. I worry that they may be too foody or cloying candy-like.

CHESHIRE CAT -- Grapefruit, red currant, dark musk, Roman chamomile, delphinium, and lavender.

It sounds too fruity/dark musky/floral to be what I'm looking for.

PHOBOS -- Chilling white musk, lemon verbena, white grapefruit and lemongrass.

Although Shalott and Kitsune-Tsuki both had white musk, it was very subtle in both. Here, I'm worried about it overwhelming the whole blend.

SHATTERED -- A blend of white champagne notes, grapefruit, lotus, slivered mint and crystalline aquatic blooms.

The aquatic blooms sound reassuring. The lotus in Black Lotus is much too cloying for me, and the wine notes in Delphi and Tum smelled rancid to me. How do the champagne and lotus here compare?

I'm grateful for any suggestions, either from the above or any others you may have encountered. The last few imps I ordered weren't what I was expecting them to be, and I hope my next order will be a closer match.

Baobhan Sith! It's NOTHING like the ginger in Siren. I'm a ginger fiend, and I hated Siren. I also really like grapefruit.

I highly recommend Baobhan Sith.

I can't really recommend Phobos, but I have huge musk issues.

Another one to try is R'yleh, normally described as evil grapefruit.

Yup! Gotta recommend R'lyeh. I think I'm the only one in the world that got something else, but everyone else describes it as very aquatic, dark grapefruit.

BAOBHAN SITH -- Grapefruit, white tea, apple blossom and ginger.

I liked the ginger in The Lady of Shalott, but in Siren it was too foody. I've never tried anything with white tea or apple blossom. I worry that they may be too foody or cloying candy-like.

I haven't tried this scent, but... the Lab's white tea note is a citrusy sort of scent. It feels bright and sparkling to me. I'm not a fan of drinking white tea, but the scent is ok by me. And real apple blossoms don't smell like apples. The closest thing I can think of is roses, which is *all*wrong* because they're lighter than the lightest rose I've ever smelled, and less foody and well, not rosy. It's not something you'd expect unless you've had an apple tree, and even then, it's not a strong scent. If the Lab means what they usually do by ginger, it's either the scent of dried ginger root (think holiday gingerbread) or fresh ginger juice, which is lemony with a bit of fiery heat to it.

I would not expect cloying or candy-like with those notes, unless your skin chemistry is odd. I'd expect citrus galore.

I haven't sniffed Phobos either, but lemon verbena and lemongrass are herby-lemony scents, and unless the white musk is a starring note, you'll end up with something rather like Embalming Fluid. It'll feel a bit different tho since it's not based around tea but around grapefruit and lemony herbs. This would likely be the "greenest" smelling of the re-released grapefruit scents. It'll still be a lot heavier on the citrus than the green tho.

If I were you, I'd just get imps of 'em all and fill out with some other GC stuff that's interesting to you.

Kalli

And real apple blossoms don't smell like apples. The closest thing I can think of is roses, which is *all*wrong* because they're lighter than the lightest rose I've ever smelled, and less foody and well, not rosy. It's not something you'd expect unless you've had an apple tree, and even then, it's not a strong scent.

Kalli

Both apple trees and roses belong to the Rosaceae family of plants. The Wikipedia entry has a cute poem by Robert Frost, "The Rose Family."

Oh, and to stay on topic, I love grapefruit scents but R'lyeh was a little too quirky for me. I've got imps of all of the others on order. You might try Aizen-Myoo as a stopgap--it's a truly gorgeous citrus scent.

Aizen-Myoo wasn't grapefruity at all to me. It was a bit candy like to me. But it is citrus on many people. However, I should think that it wouldn't have the tart/bitter scent of grapefruit that you'd be looking for.

But! I completely forgot. It's a different sort of feel, but right now, my favorite grapefruit scent is Megaera. Very, very good.

And to address your actual possible objection to BS, it's not foody at all. Definitely floral and grapefruit. But a white sort of grapefruit, not sweet at all.

i wore my aizen-myoo imp today because i needed something bright and it was sooo bitter! i loved it, i could taste the bitterness of the grapefruit. it sweetened up but it kept the bite!

Aizen-Myoo was the only imp I've ever gotten from swap or lab that was broken. There was a really pleasant, grapefruity/vegetal scent everywhere for weeks! I put the packing material and such in the bathroom trash can and ahhh, temporary air freshener.

By vegetal, I mean that it smelled kind of sharp like tomato plants or something. I think I actually thought there was kudzu in there. It was very refreshing. Another good suggestion for a grapefruit lover.

Cheshire is my all-time favorite BPAL scent, but I'm not sure it's what you're looking for in a grapefruit. IMO, it has the foody/candy thing you're concerned about with Baobahn... or maybe that's just the way it is on my skin. The grapefruit's in there, but it's not as prominent as with other blends.

R'lyeh is grapefruit, but it might be too dark for what you're looking for.

I didn't get much real grapefruit essence from Phobos, but I suspect I got a compromised imp. What I was expecting of it, though, sounds like what you're looking for as well. OTOH, the reviews say it's awfully lemony...

Shattered is SOOO... refreshing. It has just enough grapefruity-ness to tame down the mint. Combined, they really bring out the aquatics. It's very bright and quite sharp - at first. The lotus kind of tones the sharpness down as it warms. BTW, this is coming from someone who can't stand lotus. Like Cheshire, this uses grapefruit to it's fullest blending potential. It's more supporting cast than featured star.

Baobahn is the most grapefruity, to me, but it's not that sweet. It's pretty tart, in fact. Very pithy. If you're looking for grapefruit grapefruit - I think this is probably your best option.

I know amber is on your no-go list, but since you said you generally favor aquatics you might want to try and score an imp of House of Mirrors in swaps and see what you think. On me it's very grapefruit, with an aquatic base and a very slight, sweet roundness from the amber (which is a touchy note on me, sometimes it's nice, sometimes it's evil baby powder). Several other reviewers also noted that they thought HoM=Sea of Glass w/grapefruit added.

I love the smell of Baohban Sith (love the smell of grapefruit)! But it only lasts about an hour on me. Any suggestions for a longer lasting grapefruit heavy scent?

Cheshire Cat is also grapefruit, but I don't know if it's longer lasting, since I haven't tried it myself :D

I'm also in love with Fire Pig. I hereby officially proclaim it to be my fruity/citrus/summer fragrance and I don't think I will even be needing any others (until it runs out that is). :P

ETA: the citrus is more of a blood-orange/satsuma kind rather than lemon/lime

Edited by Browneyes

Sign in to follow this