Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lady_Ell

What's the best coconut blend?

Hi - I checked in Suggestions already, but thought I'd post here. I'm looking for a scent with coconut in it... I don't want something that smells too much like Hawaiian Tropic or Malibu rum, but I definitely am looking for a noticeable coconut smell. Some people have suggested the Star (Tarot oil) but that sounds too fleetingly coconut, or Spooky, which is Limited Edition and also very chocolate-y (which I'm not a huge fan of).

Ideas?

Thanks!

... and if the single note of coconut is too coconutty for you, there are some other oils that blend gorgeously with coconut. I have a coconut-almond oil that I blended that is delicious. I have also found that coconut blends fabulously with light musks, amber, or sandalwood. Experiment!

I'm trying to compile a master list of BPALs with a coconut component because it's at least my #2 favorite note, if not #1 (it's battling with Tonka, you see.)

The Star

Spooky

Black Pearl

Snow White

Perversion

King of Spades

Please comment with any more!

Edited by luxuria

I'll second Black Pearl for coconutty goodness, along with Snow White. Perversion is one of my absolute favorites, but I don't get much coconut from it. Likewise with The Star--all I got was lime. Alas. It'll depend on your chemistry. :P

Black pearl is very Coconutty, but Hell's Belle also deserves a mention. For some reason it was strangely similar to Black pearl (to my nose)

hell's belle has a creamy note that makes the blend smell slightly coconutty, and snow white apparently contains absolutely no coconut at all. just for the record.

Just to clarify: I'm not specifically looking for strongly coconut, just a complete list of EVERY BPAL with coconut in it.

It's a gorgeous note but also one that just totally makes love to my skin.

I wish I got coconut from Hell's Belle but, alas, none. Is there actually any in there or just a coconut sort of "vibe"?

[edit] Bizarre that Snow White doesn't have any actual coconut in it..something in there smells IDENTICAL to coconut and dries down on my skin the same way as the regular coconut does.

Edited by luxuria

Okay..so there IS coconut in Snow White. I thought my nose was going insane. :P

6 scents isn't much. Especially with 3 of them being LE's. MORE COCONUT! I never used to really care for coconut because of the suntan oil association but BPAL's is just so different and lovely. Oh how I crave it..

Another recommendation for Black Pearl. I went a little crazy at Black Broom (I love, I love, I LOVE that there is a brick-and-mortar shop close enough where I can sniff-test things!) and when I ran out of places to put perfume on me, I put some on my roommate. On her, Black Pearl smelled oh-so-coconutty without any suntan lotion associations. 24 hours later, I put my nose in her elbow and she smelled like warm butter -- if a human being can smell like warm butter and have it smell GOOD.

However, a friend of mine put on Black Pearl and said she just drowned in the florals, so it comes down to (drum roll please) individual body chemistry!

INSERT SIG HERE

I love Black Pearl, but the coconut almost completely disappears on me.

Can anyone recommend anything similar but with more coconut???

No florals, or overly musky scents. I like warm, sweet, fruity and foody scents.

Thanks so much!!!!

I don't know how much like Black Pearl it might smell, but Eden isknown to be quite a coconutty smell.

I agree, I was just coming here to recommend Eden. It's my absolute favorite so far. Sweet, creamy coconut--it doesn't smell at all like suntan oil, though, just very soft and yummy. Very comforting. I got it as a frimp and used it up in a matter of days. Now I've got two more imps, am waiting on a 5ml, and last night I realized I should have ordered a 10ml. At least. I love this scent so much! I keep meaning to post a review. I should go do that.

Eden is definitely coconutty (and very sweet if I remember correctly). If you want a fruity tropical drink sort of coconutty, you might want to try The Star.

I absolutley love coconut, it's one of the few notes that always works for me. I haven't gotten to try Eden yet (it's on my to-do list), but my BPAL coconut love is Elegba. It's very warm and sweet, on me it's a perfect balance of toasted coconut and a comforting rum/butterscotch scent. With just a hint of spicy, dry tobacco to ground it. Sweet, but not overly foody. The coconut lasts much longer than the coconut in Black Pearl (which I also adore) did.

Red Lantern is also a good choice, if you can manage to get some. Though on me it was more caramel and spice at first, and the coconut kicked in later.

Echoing almost everybody here -

Blood Pearl: was very similar to Black Pearl on me, except the coconut was stronger and ...rounder , for lack of a better word

Tarot: the Star: lovely tropical coconut/lime with a mint top note, very fruity

Elegba: this is an agressive, boozy coconut - it smells like a pirate! :P

Spooky - if you can find it, is supposed to be chocolate, coconut and mint (I think!)

Snow White is coconutty on some people (definitely not on me though!)

Snake Charmer has black coconut but I can't smell it at all...

Eden: does have coconut, but on me it's almost exclusively honeyed fig leaf. YMMV on this one, obviously!

Hope this helps!

Elegba is the most coconutty. Run to the swaps and see if you can get your hands on a bottle of Elegba before anything else. It is gorgeous.

You might want to try Santo Domingo, too. Somehow it has the spirit of coconut but I don't think it actually has coconut in it. It is beautiful as well.

Grog is buttery, rummy, coconutty goodness. Lasts for hours and is a beauty. Mmmm. me loves me teh grog.

Perversion has a good shot of coconut in it and is a real winner. It is pretty close to Formula 54 and is great in the winter (for some reason).

Edited by olympia301

Red Lantern is a more coconutty, fruitier, Black Pearl to my nose. :D

Finny you took the words right outta my mouth!!!

Red Lantern is the best if you can get your hands on a bottle of it!!!!

Keep checking the swaps/for sales thread...there is bound to be someone who

wants to give their Red Lantern to a better home :P

My webcomic, the main character of which is the coconut in my icon, has been on hiatus due to work stuff. I'll have more time in the near future, but I also need a sharp kick in the britches!

Smelling like all coconut, all the time should help keep my mind on topic. :P

So what's the coconuttest scent there is?

Edited by Uploaded Lobster

Elegba and Perversion and (I think) Black Pearl are all coconutty good. I really am digging Perversion at the moment. Just because the coconut is in the background, doesn't mean you can't love it while it is there.

I am not really a fan of coconut, but The Star is lovely. I can't imagine how nice it would be for someone who actually likes coconut...