Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
wickedgoddess

Holiday Moon

Bamboo pulp and oude with green and white tea.

This is glorious. It's a tart, lush green scent initially with a citrusy freshness that lasts for hours. Lingering under the crisp greenery is a very smooth, slightly spicy wood note that lasts after the main fragrance is gone. I regret only buying one bottle of this, because it's absolutely amazing. Edited by Shollin

On first application, this is wet and sharply sweet--I'm tempted to call it citrus, but it's a little greener than that. As it dries, the tea becomes more prominent, and it is distinctly green tea. There's also a light floral note that balances the sharpness of the tea perfectly.

As it dries, the tartness fades, but doesn't quite go away. I'm left with a lovely bamboo scent, with a bit of a bite at the end of it.

It's mostly white tea on me, very clear with a greenish-smelling overtone that must be the bamboo. It reminds me a lot of Kumiho. Pleasant enough, but not my thing - I bought the imp for my teenager anyway, who loves those types of fragrances.

Mmmm, Holiday Moon. At first, this is strong, sweet green tea. After a few seconds, I get the tartness that so many of you have mentioned. That stays dominant for a few moments, then the whole blend settles down marvelously, I think because the oude comes out just slightly to ground it? This is so unusual and so lovely... and both the throw and the longetivity are way above average on me. This is a definite keeper.

I love tea notes, so after regretting not buying this when it was up on the site, I bought a bottle from another forumite.

I wish it worked. Its not bad, just not all that either. When I open the bottle I get green, and a sort of musty/funky note that I can't identify at all. Could be any of the ingredients, but it doesn't smell like any of them, including Oude, which I have a tiny bit of from DSH.

Well, I put it on, and that musty note sticks. Ick!

Luckily, after a few minutes it fades and the green note--which I assume is the bamboo--comes out in full force. I don't mind this stage. Funny thing is, though, it really smelled like citrus. I was at a friend's house and she thought so too--she said so what kind of citrus is in there, and me, sniffing like a fool and pretending I knew, said, uh....hmmm....let me think.....maybe yuzu? I was convinced there was citrus in there.

But there isn't. Still, that's what I get--not citrus juice, but the bitter white pith of say a tangerine. Which has a citrus smell, but also a bitterness to it.

I decided to try it again the next day, and put it on before my boxing class. Same thing, though while I was working out, that citrus scent wafted up to me.

Overall, its nice enough, but I have other citrus scents I like better, so I might as well send this one back out into the world. I'm sorry I didn't get the green tea like I should have, but that's just a quirk of skin chemistry I guess.

I had high hopes for this blend, as it sounded like a nice non-sweet alternative to my beloved Dorian.

It turns out that Holiday Moon, at least on me, is an ozonic lemongrassy scent with ozonic notes. That's probably the green tea shouting up my nose. :P

It's now a mellow bamboo, the lemongrass faded into the background, playing a supporting role instead of a major role, which had me worried for a bit.

I'll probably keep the one bottle I have for spring/summertime to blend with. :D

I was so very excited to try Holiday Moon! At first sniff, I could smell the teas and bamboo..it was everything I was hoping for..very fresh and pretty. As soon as it touched my skin, however, lemon suddenly leaped out from nowhere and pretty much took over. After drying a few minutes later, it was all soap on me. A really pretty, fancy soap...but soapsoapsoapysoapsoap, none-the-less. Sigh. Into the swap pile you go... :P

In the bottle: Oooh, interesting...something soothing about this one.

Wet: I've figured out why it is so soothing. It reminds me of family vacations that my family took to Jamaica when I was young. Bamboo pulp, maybe?

Drydown: Oh. Oh dear. Lemon-infused incense. Hrm. Not so sure now.

I gave this a few tries. The first hour is lovely. After that, I smell like a Catholic Church that's been dusted with lemon pledge after high mass. Just. Not for me. I'll be trading this one, unfortunately.

This is really pretty. It's very much a lemon verbena tea on me. (I guess that's the oude providing the richness, and perhaps the bamboo providing the citrus.) I could've sworn that there was a hint of ginger in the begining, but that seems to have gone away as it dried. (Thank goodness, 'cause I am just NOT into ginger, it tickles/burns my nose.)

Very lovely. I'll be keeping the imp and possibly seeking more. It's funny. It has a fresh quality that makes me think "Damn! This is what cleaning products SHOULD smell like." Really really nice. Most fresh & light scents don't work on me. This one does, and I think it's the oude which gives it enough punch to do so.

Frimp from the lovely Mandragora! Feel the love girl! :P

In the bottle: Light, piney, clean citrus.

Wet: citrusy pine? Where is the citrus coming from? Maybe I am reading bamboo as pine. Hmm, *tweaks own nose*.

Dry Down: citrus, I swear I smell citrus! Grapefruit in fact! Grapefruit on top of pine.

30 minutes: ;erfumey citrusy goodness. This smells so familiar! I know, it reminds me of the perfume "Red Door, " but better! I like this very much.

Conclusion: I like it, too bad it would be so hard to get more. I love my imp, thanks to Mandragora. Wish I had discovered it sooner.

Rating on my skin, this is a 4.5.

Just delicious! I didn't have the scent description at home when I tried it on, so my poor nose had to make some wild guesses. :)

My first thoughts: citrus, green! So clean, and bright -- my gf and I both commented that it was such a spring-y scent! I think now it must have been the oude(?) and tea that gave it such a bright scent.

Sadly, this scent fades FAST on me, so a mere hour or two after application, I can barely smell it. Which is tragic, because I just adored the scent!!!

I am really fond of Holiday Moon. It's a nice lemony green tea scent and is very refreshing. It has good throw for about on hour on me and then fades away. I've been wearing it first thing in the morning, it's a good waking up scent.

Well, I've tried it twice, and I've come to the conclusion that this just isn't for me. I do like it in the mid/late afternoon when I've applied it in the morning, but in the end, I just don't see myself wearing it. I'm sure it's lovely on the right person.

I bought an imp lot from a friend of mine and this was part of it.

In the imp: Crisp green, reminiscent of Calyx by Prescriptives

On me: Hairspray! :P Alas, not the exception to the rule that green scents + me = smell of chemicals.

My first thought with Holiday Moon was "Ooh, citrus tea! I love it!" On the drydown, it becomes a little more woody, almost dusty - not something I will wear regularly, probably, but I think it will be a lovely hot scorching summer blend.

In bottle: Beautifully green - a light green, a yellow-green. Bamboo definitely springs to mind - it has such a fresh fragrance, like if it was bamboo, the stalk was just snapped open. The astrigency of the tea really adds to the blend. It is spring and new growth!

On me: Wow, this fragrance has really great throw. It is so fresh and green, like the grass, but again not like grass at all. It is like thick fresh stalks of bamboo with the cool leaves brushing against your cheek. It is even slightly lemon-y to me. *****

I find this one very similar to Kumiho, but much more puckery. Holiday Moon has more of a "crushed green plant" feel to it with tea in the background, if at all.

However, I'm still wearing it nearly a year later. I like the puckery green when there's not enough green outside.

Edited by themerrybaker

This is a beautiful, fresh green fragrance to me. It is very refreshing and spring-like. I get predominantly bamboo and tea, the oude is not present much so I’m sure that its presence here in the blend is for grounding and fixing the lighter notes. It’s almost floral but not quite, and I do get a touch of lemon. I’m usually avoided the lighter GC (and LE for that matter!) blends so I don’t have oil to compare it to…

As it wears it softens and the oude makes itself known. Just lovely!

ETA review on 3-27-08

For a long time, I thought this and Dragon Moon smelled identical. And that maybe liked Dragon Moon a tad more. Well I finally pulled them out and tried them side by side. Now I’m not so sure.

On me, both wet and dry, but especially so wet, this smells like the lightest, brightest white tea and bamboo. As it wears, there’s a sharpness too, but it’s not offensively sharp, just sharp in a very bright, clean, fresh way. This is the palest of green, almost white in color. There’s something here plant-like, I guess that would be the bamboo. When I compared this to Dragon Moon, I called this a stem scent and that makes sense. After all, bamboo is just that. This is just lovely.

As it wears, it’s taking on an almost citrus smell – that sharpness is there and now I’m thinking I do prefer the sweet floral tea of Dragon Moon to this sharp high-noted scent that is getting a bit too fresh and bright for me. Dang.

Edited by cranberry

I fell completely in love with Holiday Moon. On me, it's a smooth, soft, extremely pale green, with no astringent sharpness. I think I can recognize the bamboo in the sort of woody smoothness the scent has. It's a very subtle, light scent which I adore and must get more of somehow.

Gorgeous. Why have I waited 3 months before even opening the bottle?? Oh, that's right - because I moved house and my life was in chaos. How could I forget?

Lovely. Green, fresh, great throw. Immediately upon application it's all green tea. It changes to a more astringent, almost citrusy green scent within an hour. Then stays that way. Seriously lovely.

This is definitely one of my all time favorite moons! I'm a sucker for green tea; I find it so soothing and cleansing. This is an amazing green tea blend; it's crisp and clean and irresistible. I think the combination of white tea gives it an amazing edge. I'm not sure what bamboo pulp smells like, but I sure like it! :D If you are a fan of Shanghai, you'll love this. It actually makes me feel calm and cool when I wear it. Fabulous! :P

bottle:

fresh green, herbal

wet:

tea notes, light and fresh

dry:

lovely light clean scent! Yum. Reminds me of the good part (non soapy meaning!) of shanghai.

overall:

Love it, grab a bottle if possible!

rating: 8/10

bamboo? tea? I should LOVE this... in the bottle, I do... on my skin at FIRST I do... but why, oh why, did this go musky on me after about 15 minutes? :P

Ah well, I guess it goes into the swap pile...

Edited by eviltemptressdq

ooohprettiness!

Holiday Moon is a very nice warm-weather scent. As many other reviewers pointed out, it's oddly strong for a scent that has 'lighter' notes.

It's wonderfully blended, and no one note sticks out. Grassy, lemony, tea-y, maybe a very light floral element in the background. Very bright, fresh, comforting.

Lasts for AGES. I could smell it days and days later, on a shirt that I had on while wearing Holiday Moon!

Bottle: tea!

Wet: tea! and fragrant bamboo. what is oude?

Dry: the white tea dominates, and the sweet pulp.

Later: subtle, light. interesting, and multi-layered while still being monotonal, if that makes sense. (ok, it doesn't to any but me, I realize that.) This is a very beige and pale green aisan-themed decorator room. A place you'd be afraid to sit for fear of leaving a mark on the pale, creamy furniture...a decorator magazine sort of room - light, but formal. subtle, but not retiring.