Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wickedgoddess

The Great Sword of War

Mandarin, tonka, saffron, black tea, cocoa, tobacco leaf, sanguine red musk and five classical herbs of conflict.

The Great Sword of War doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. Foody or sultry? Right off the bat it's mandarin-red musk-tobacco, with a little chocolate. I never get the tea, but my skin often swallows up tea notes, so that's not surprising; the saffron is quiet, too. The last time I tested this I was certain I knew at least one of the classical herbs of conflict, but now I can't remember what I thought it was. The red musk takes over a bit, as red musk tends to do on me. The result is kind of strange, and I'm not sure where I would wear it, though I love the name and the concept.

ETA Jan 2021:  I actually do wear Great Sword of War with pleasure -- it's a great scent if you need to do battle of any kind (workplace, relationship) but want to stay calm and grounded and not project any martial intentions.  I find it both sexy and comforting.  

Edited by Lucchesa

This blend does have some chocolatey-ness to it. But I wouldn't call it a foody chocolate. It's more earthy and not over sweet.

There is a melange of some leafy notes. I think the tobacco ends up on top, though there is a bit of the tea. The tobacco in this isn't too strong or unpleasant. Sometimes I don't like it. Here, it's okay.

I think the red musk lends a sort of incense quality to this without being too distinct otherwise.

I do get a bit of something herbal, but I can't place what herbs exactly. 

I do get the tiniest bit of tonka and saffron, on about the same layer, but they're extremely mild.

I actually don't get anything citrusy at all, no mandarin to speak of.

Not a terrible blend, but it does fade really quickly on me.

Tobacco is really dominating my imp these days, along with the spiciness of saffron and a pinch of brightness from the mandarin. I'm not really picking up any red musk (very odd, since that's usually a predominate note), cocoa or black tea, but I do get the herbalness in almost a weedy way behind the tobacco, saffron, and citrus. There's a sense of wrongness the way Death on a Pale Horse smelled wrong to me. The notes are discordant, always at odds with each other. I used to rather like this one, but now it does unsettle me and I won't be wearing it, I think.

I purchased a fresh imp of this from the lab.  Initially, I don't know what the hell it smells like.

After putting it on, The Great Sword of War transforms into...  A less exhaustingly sweet version of Perversion?  What kind of "sword" are we talking about here?

Tobacco dominates all other notes and this is absolutely "Perversion but less sweet" to my nose.  Not what I expected, but not a bad thing since Perversion irritates me with its sweetness after a while.

This is like strangely good. I am on the hunt for the perfect red musk-tobacco blend, and i have an imp of this in my box. I remember sniffing this when i first started using bpals and being like wtf is that because i could not id anything, and sniffing it now that is strong af tobacco coming out of the imp. Triggered that funny little memory. 

Tobacco and subtle herbally cocoa at the forefront, i love that combo. The mandarin adds a little brightness without doing the whole chocolate orange thing i was expecting. Don't really get much red musk per se but it must be what makes this so strangely addictive. One of those huff my elbow scents. It doesn't morph much and it LASTS forever and a little def goes a long way. 

Fresh imp from the lab: herbal orange smash!

I guess maybe there was a hint of chocolate when wet, and I can track some earthier notes if I squint sideways at it, but it’s really just juicy, stepped-on citrus, and bright, nasal-clearing herbs. 

Oddly, I’m here for it. 

In the bottle, I get spicy mandarin on a bed of red musk - spicy in the sense of wow, multiple spices are happening. If I only sniff the wand, I can detect a bit of cocoa.

Wet on my skin, I still can't really pick anything out specifically besides mandarin, red musk, and spice cabinet. It's all about the spice blend, but I wouldn't call this foodie.

As it dries, the mandarin becomes less juicy and prominent for me, but still provides a bright contrast to the darker, herbal note that carves out a spot for itself amid the spices - maybe the black tea and tobacco leaf? I love the intensity and sophistication of this blend. It kinda gives an "I choose violence" vibe. 😅