Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

Help with Jasmine scents, please!

I know lots of folks here aren't jasmine fans...but I am, provided it's balanced out right. For those who like jasmine, what are your favorite jasmine scents?

I'm a huge fan of Morgause. :P It's one of the only ones I've tried where the jasmine was there, but not behaving like a prima donna.

I can't wear jasmine cause it makes me sick; however, I found Nyx to be a lovely jasmine blend.

Okay, I REALLY love Melisande, but I wear a lot of it and sometimes my mom's asthma acts up. I want something like that but maybe a little more subtle? I've already got an imp of Salomé in an order.

LEs are okay. But I'm wanting something with a top note of jasmine, mostly. A lot of people have rec'd Peitho, but of course I forgot to get an imp of that in my last order. Durrr.

I like kind of heady stuff, but not too heady, as I have respiratory probs.

if there's a topic like this before, pls merge or point me to it, it's hard for me to search thru all the pages mentioning jasmine lol.

Edited by klavierbarrette

if there's a topic like this before, pls merge or point me to it, it's hard for me to search thru all the pages mentioning jasmine lol.

Hi hi (:

I was just about to have a look-see for things jasmine-related, here is one thread in recommendations for jasmine in BPAL (:

For the rest of the threads in the recommendations section, clicky here!

I've tried Phantasm, because I wanted something with green tea and jasmine in it... it just didn't smell like how I thought it might.

I've also tried Twilight but I'm not a huge lavender fan ... Muse definitely sounds interesting with the jasmine + lime combination ... still new, have tried a bunch but not heaps and heaps yet!

Hope this helps *grin*

Edited by Girl Android

Hi klavierbarrette - I will leave this topic up, separate from the big jasmine thread, for a couple days so it can get some attention - then I'll merge it. :P

As a note to everyone looking for a scent with a fairly common note - there are two tips I have for you. First, look in the pinned section above. There's a post called "Guide to Common Recommendations" that has links to the threads about many of the popular notes in it. This can save you even bothering with a search since they've all been done for you and handy links provided!

From your post, kb, I got the impression you might be doing a search by posts instead of a search by topics? When you are on the search engine page, determining whether a thread already exists in rec, here's what I recommend (to everyone, not singling out kb).

Type your search term in the box under "Search by Keywords." Then you should also choose "Recommendations" in the box directly below that that allows you to highlight a single subforum, rather than searching the entire subforum.

Finally, you should click the signal buttons next to "search titles only" and "show results as topics" at the bottom right before finally submitting your search.

If you have any doubts about whether a topic is out there, or any other problems with finding something, please feel free to PM me about that (or anything else I can help you with!) :D

Finally, I think a great way to narrow your list of scents is to use the search engine on the lab site itself. It's a quick way to get a list of all the blends, with descriptions, that contain the note you're looking for - then you can skim the descriptions to eliminate those that contain notes that you aren't fond of.

Good luck to you, kb, in finding that jasmine scent... If you haven't heard my broken record about jasmine, I find that all the jasmine scents I like were much nicer after the bottles sat around for a month or two. Jasmine fresh from the lab seems quite sassy to me. Euphrosyne and New Orleans are probably my faves.

Hi klavierbarrette - I will leave this topic up, separate from the big jasmine thread, for a couple days so it can get some attention - then I'll merge it. :P

As a note to everyone looking for a scent with a fairly common note - there are two tips I have for you. First, look in the pinned section above. There's a post called "Guide to Common Recommendations" that has links to the threads about many of the popular notes in it. This can save you even bothering with a search since they've all been done for you and handy links provided!

From your post, kb, I got the impression you might be doing a search by posts instead of a search by topics? When you are on the search engine page, determining whether a thread already exists in rec, here's what I recommend (to everyone, not singling out kb).

Type your search term in the box under "Search by Keywords." Then you should also choose "Recommendations" in the box directly below that that allows you to highlight a single subforum, rather than searching the entire subforum.

Finally, you should click the signal buttons next to "search titles only" and "show results as topics" at the bottom right before finally submitting your search.

If you have any doubts about whether a topic is out there, or any other problems with finding something, please feel free to PM me about that (or anything else I can help you with!) :D

Finally, I think a great way to narrow your list of scents is to use the search engine on the lab site itself. It's a quick way to get a list of all the blends, with descriptions, that contain the note you're looking for - then you can skim the descriptions to eliminate those that contain notes that you aren't fond of.

Good luck to you, kb, in finding that jasmine scent... If you haven't heard my broken record about jasmine, I find that all the jasmine scents I like were much nicer after the bottles sat around for a month or two. Jasmine fresh from the lab seems quite sassy to me. Euphrosyne and New Orleans are probably my faves.

thank you. :D

yeah i think i was searching the whole forum. >__> sorry.

There are four I want to marry:

Morgause and Pannychis are heady, rich, fruity jasmines, Zorya is a clean and sweet jasmine, and, if you can get your hands on it, Black Moon is lush tropical jasmine heaven.

pannychis was one of my first loves so i shall try it again.

oo black moon. i want some. >O

ETA: holy crap it must have changed since i've had it for months but this stuff is GOOD.

need.....need bottle of pannychis.......

Edited by klavierbarrette

The Perfumed Garden is an incredible jasmine blend...the jasmine has "bite" and substance. This is an intoxicating blend, and very different than the typical, "heady" jasmine...

The Perfumed Garden is an incredible jasmine blend...the jasmine has "bite" and substance. This is an intoxicating blend, and very different than the typical, "heady" jasmine...
i already have that in my 'to buy' list. :P

and an imp of nyx is pending too!

i'm a bit confused. i thought i liked jasmine, and i like some blends -- kitsune-tsuki, sophia, siren -- which have jasmine listed as component. i also really like lush's godiva shampoo, a strongly jasmine scent. but when i tried new orleans there was something sharp and sort of tingling in it, that my nose found altogether unpleasant ... i thought it must have been the spice and the 'touch of decay' from the description. but a few days later, i went to a local sunflower market, and was trying out some of their essential oils -- one of which was called 'tunisian jasmine,' and had the same tingling, unpleasant effect on my nose!

this thread was very helpful in clarifying that there are many different kinds of jasmine ... but i'm wondering if anyone knows what kind of jasmine is used in new orleans and this tunisian jasmine from the market, as opposed to the other blends i enjoy, so i can try to avoid it in the future?

What she said!! PG is rated X.

For me, jasmine can be OK if there are many other components. It's not so much the type of jasmine used so much as the quantity.

Edited by themerrybaker

What she said!! PG is rated X.

For me, jasmine can be OK if there are many other components. It's not so much the type of jasmine used so much as the quantity.

Yes, this is what I'm finding as well. I used to think I hated anything with jasmine in it until I found that there were some blends with jasmine that I liked a lot, and not jsut the night blooming kind. (I think also the change in my skin chem. after stopping b/c pills has made jasmine less ornery on me :P ). So far my favorite blends w/jasmine are Morgause, Black Moon, The Caterpillar, Rose Moon, Peitho and Muse. I find though that in all of these the jasmine is one of many components.

Hi!

I'm new so I hope this is acceptable - I did a search and looked through the "smells like..." thread and didn't see this so I figured it would be alright. Apologies if it's not.

That said, does BPAL have different Jasmine scents?

For example I have a Shisheido night essential moisturizer which smells like the perfect night blooming jasmine to me - but I also have a solid perfume made from "night blooming jasmine oil" that is vile like nothing else.

I'm really looking for something that smells like the Shisheido - faintly floral but very light - to try but I'm worried that 'jasmine' doesn't mean what I think it means.

Any thoughts?

Thank You!

Unfortunately, I have found BPAL's jasmine to be of the strong indolic variety, not the ethereal delicate kind. I love the scent of natural jasmine, and for a while I actively investigated all the BPAL jasmine scents, but I haven't found any that reminds me of the live flower.

Edited to say: Welcome to the BPAL madness!

Edited by Mrs.Black

This thread might help you. Personally, I love my jasmine (time of month dependent), and have amassed a good collection of it.

I have read somewhere in my BPAL travels that there is a difference between night blooming jasmine and jasmine proper, although I can't be helpful enough to pinpoint the thread. For your own purposes, I would definitely try Eos, which has a beautiful honeysuckle-jasmine-skin musk not, or Twilight which also has the honeysuckle-jasmine bouquet, but with lavender. New Orleans also sports jasmine-honeysuckle.

I really like Phantasm (green tea, lemon verbena, jasmine & neroli). The tartness of the tea, citrus & verbena keep the jasmine from overpowering everything in sight. It's a great summer evening fragrance :P (provided you can wear lemony scents without having them turn into cleaning products). There are similarities to Embalming Fluid & Shanghai but I feel it's a bit more girly/feminine because of the jasmine.

There are definitely at least 2 different types of jasmine in the BPAL blends... I don't know which is which, though, and I don't know how to tell them apart without testing. :D I absolutely LOVE New Orleans, which pretty much turns into a soft jasmine single note on me. I keep hearing that there's honeysuckle and other things in there, but you couldn't prove it by sniffing my wrist. :P

There's also another type of jasmine that is sharper and pretty nasty (IMO, of course :D ) that I've discovered in quite a few of the voodoo blends (Love Me is the most notable one in my mind, although Come To Me also has it, just not quite as strongly). I want to say that The Presence of Love also had the icky jasmine in it, but it may have been the grapefruit in that one that turned me off.

--M

I'm looking for recommendations for a very specific type of jasmine smell. Jasmine is one of my favourite scents (particularly the fresh smell of blooming jasmine in the garden) and my search for jasmine perfumes is one of the things that brought me to bpal in the first place.

Not all the lab's jasmine smell's work on me (a few go sharp or soapy, including Twilight and Bat-woman) but those that do are lovely. I particularly like New Orleans, although I'm also very fond of Peitho, Suspiro, Eos and Siren. And I find that all of those blends have very similar types of jasmine in them (although some of them obviously have other prominent notes as well). But much as I love them, this note still isn't that particular fresh smell I'm looking for.

And then I got a decant of Jasmine Cottage. I know that many people in the review thread identified lots of different floral notes, but on my skin, this is it. This is my perfect fresh, clear jasmine. :P The problem is it's very faint and fades fast; maybe 40 minutes on my skin and even in a scent locket there is no throw left after a couple of hours.

So what I'm asking for is recommendations, not just of other jasmine scents, but of blends that seem to you to have the exact same jasmine note as Jasmine Cottage. It's so beautiful it makes me want to cry, so I'm hoping there must be at least one or two other scents with the same note out there.

I can't believe that no-one has posted about Morpho (Lupercalia - Ode to Aphrodite) on this thread. Morpho is my perfect delicious jasmine-of-dreams scent. Most jasmine blends have been too strong (Feu Follet comes to mind - I haven't really given it a chance), but this one is amazing. If you don't want to gamble on a bottle, you can try the sales and swaps for a decant, but I suggest you get one sent to you before March 13th, so you can spring for a bottle. I'm definitely getting a bottle.

And in other jasmine news, I'm still trying to find someone to sell me a decant of Jasmine Cottage. Will report back when I get my hot little hands on it.

Sounds like New Orleans Sweet honeysuckle and jasmine with a hint of lemon and spice. would be right up your alley. It's a sweet, seductive straight up grown ass woman JASMINE!! I loves it.

Some other jasmine-y recs:

Twilight Ars Moriendi Lavender and jasmine, with a touch of glowing honeysuckle.

New Orleans with gravitas. Less flirty, more ass kicking.

Peitho Excolo Lusty myrtle and jasmine with red sandalwood, stargazer lily, and clove over an opulent, rich bed of warm musk and bourbon vanilla.

Sweet, warm, a little green from the myrtle and exceedingly sensual.

Mata Hari Bewiching Brews ]five roses with soft jasmine, warmed by vanilla, fig, tonka bean and mahogany, spiced with a drop of coffee bean.

My mantra with Mata Hari is "Let it dry down completely." The drydown is a little weird and funky but it's a gorgeous, smooth jasmine with a little rose, warm teak and a hint of interest from the coffee bean.

Wicked Diabolos rich myrrh and jasmine draped in the subtlest rose.

A little spicy, very floral, very velvety.

The Obsidian Widow Steamworks Pinot noir, dark myrrh, red sandalwood, black patchouli, night-blooming jasmine, and attar of rose.

This is a rich and sensual ball-busting sort of scent.

Defututa Ars Amatoria

Olive blossom, honey, smoky vanilla, cinnamon, jasmine, sandalwood, and champaca flower.

An all out sensual, dripping-wioth-honey, golden sort of scent.