Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Impish One

Are bpal blends all-natural?

I guess I've just been immersed in the world of traditional perfumery for awhile. People take a lot of pride in craftsmanship, on assembling their perfumes molecule by molecule or using the finest essential oils. Maybe I am being a bit prejudiced...

I do think this is an unfair bias. Many perfumers take pride in building from the molecule up, yes. But as I mentioned before, that isn't Beth's style. Also, Beth has said that she would rather focus on make products that are kept to an accessible price point. Building molecule by molecule would drive the prices way up. Instead of being $15 a bottle, they'd be $80. I think it's more important to Beth to be able to indulge her incredibly prolific creative impulses than focus them into a few masterpieces a year, like the major perfume houses would.

And have no doubt that there is a lot of craftsmanship involved in what BPAL does.

But just as Beth has her preferences for making perfume, you're certainly entitled to your preferences in what you like to smell. They're different styles and they suit different people. Just don't judge it until you've tried it. A few disparaging remarks doesn't mean that the hundreds of us who love BPAL are just raving psychos with no taste.

(For the record I'm not getting troll vibes from Jayne. Maybe I'm wrong, but, meh.)

$25 is probably equivalent to a teaspoon of 1 scent of Chanel perfume diluted in alcohol. But you can make the judgment call on luxury and worth for yourself, I suppose.

Erm... This is really besides the point of the discussion, but you can get a 1 ml sample of Chanel perfume for $3. You can also get a sample of pure parfum oil for as little as $9.

Usually though, I just go to department stores and boutiques and test things for free or ask for for samples. Sales ladies are often pretty generous.

Edited by jayne

I'd like to take a minute to suggest that we don't all assume that jayne is not here for a legit query and is a troll. There's no reason to solidify the internet perception that we're all rabid defenders of BPAL, ready to attack at the slightest provocation. :lol: Not everyone is going to like us, right? ;)

Edited because grammar is not always my friend

Edited by ephemera

You are right about that, ephemera... but it would be good if newbies read the guidelines thoroughly and tried using the search engine/contacting a moderator to find the information they want before starting threads like this one, considering there is a nine-page existing thread on the subject.

You are right, absolutely ephemera... but it would be good if newbies read the guidelines thoroughly and tried using the search engine/contacting a moderator to find the information they want before starting threads like this one, considering there is a nine-page existing thread on the subject.

Agreed! (Also, I don't want to appear to be backseat modding, I just wanted to put my two cents in that I'm not getting the troll-vibe right now.)

Oh, no worries at all! I didn't get a backseat modding vibe from you ;) And my posts are "member opinion" not official mod talk, I'd use VOG for that.

You are right, absolutely ephemera... but it would be good if newbies read the guidelines thoroughly and tried using the search engine/contacting a moderator to find the information they want before starting threads like this one, considering there is a nine-page existing thread on the subject.

Agreed! (Also, I don't want to appear to be backseat modding, I just wanted to put my two cents in that I'm not getting the troll-vibe right now.)

Hmmm, not gonna lie. When I was a newbie to this forum, it was difficult to find information like that, even with the search function. Lol, I just gave up, made an introduction and hoped that somehow, it would take me to an answer. :D

Then in the future, you might wish to research your purchases more thoroughly before making them. In this case, you did not even look up the opinion of the perfume reviewer you regard so highly before making a luxury purchase?

You also might have noticed that there are numerous second-hand bpal sales in various places where you could pick up gently used samples for smaller prices which also might have been a better initial investment for you.

To be fair, I have his book and I tried to see if BPAL was reviewed but it wasn't listed. It wasn't until later that I thought to look in the archives of his (now defunct) blog.

I agree with people who say I need to give the samples a try before freaking out. Maybe I've been overreacting.

I don't mind that Guerlain uses synthetics, but they are synthetics crafted by perfumers. I personally believe there is artistry to it. But alternatively, I can appreciate a small-scale perfumer who blends natural essential oils. I value that side of things too and definitely see the appeal. But it's that middle ground, of pre-blended synthetic oils that are found in Yankee Candles, that I want to avoid.

By the way, alcohol has never bothered my skin and I don't notice it after the first minute or two, although I know that isn't true for everybody.

I do think the lab buys component oils from various sources, but I strongly suspect (I can't say I know because I don't work for them) that they do NOT buy from the mass production synthetic oil companies that sell fragrances to Yankee or wholesale their products to every bath and body producer mixing things up on the web. For one thing, I think Beth has too strong a background in traditional perfumery (there's a thread somewhere that talks about where she studied, I'm sure someone less lazy than I will find it for you), and for another, bpal simply doesn't smell like those oils once applied to the skin.

Take as an example patchouli. I LOATHED patchouli before I discovered bpal. I had a good friend in college who loved it and was always buying new patchouli containing blends from every bath and body place in the mall and in the small boutiques in our college town. I hated all of them. They smelled like rotting hippie laundry and dog. I suspect most of them were using the "middle ground, of pre-blended synthetic oils that are found in Yankee Candles" that you want to avoid.

Then I tried a bpal patchouli blend. Rather than rotting hippie I got deep wood and molasses. It was a revelation. I hated BAD patchouli. Good patchouli was something very different. (And I don't just love bpal patchouli now. I also really love the DSH patchouli blends I've tried.) This is an experience that is not unique to me and which I think speaks rather plainly about the quality of the component oils that bpal uses to make its blends.

Certain blends that bpal produces are much more likely to smell like a Yankee Candle shop than others. I don't think any perfumer out there can produce the scent of candy corn or funnel cakes or the like without using a lot of synthetics. Some people love those scents and they can be fun and they sell, so the lab continues to produce them. Some people (like me) tend to dislike them and that’s fine too. Part of loving perfume is loving the way in which it creates a mood or a signature scent. If we all smelled the same it would be no fun at all! For me, perfume is very much tied up with identity. It’s why I tend to acquire less scents than lots of my compatriots here. I have a specific scent profile that is “me” and I stick to it.

If your scent profile range is less about synthetics or cinnamon or other typical “Yankee candle” type smells, then by all means stay away from those scents. But do try things for yourself rather than let any reviewer, whether here or on other perfume sites, make up your mind for you. If I hadn’t been willing to have an open mind I’d still be wearing lavender body lotion every day, vaguely dissatisfied with the way I smelled, never knowing the love that is a good patchouli!

(Ps. The inside of my imp box does smell like the miasma from a candle store. Luckily, once the oils are applied they smell great. I think any time lots of strong scents mingle you get that dreaded Yankee Candle fog. That’s why having a box that closes is so important!)

Edited to add: What six imps did you try? Inquiring minds want to know!

Edited by kakiphony

Hmmm, not gonna lie. When I was a newbie to this forum, it was difficult to find information like that, even with the search function. Lol, I just gave up, made an introduction and hoped that somehow, it would take me to an answer. :D

honestly i do have to admit that this board does have one of the worst search engines of the boards that i frequent. i normally just poke around the relevant sub forums until i find what i need.

What I'm saying is a 1mL sample of oil for $3.50 isn't totally ridiculous, especially if, given your background, you are familiar with how traditional houses price their products -- particularly their eau de parfum which is way diluted. You get a lot more mileage out of straight oil.

Now, if your argument is that the samples should be free, I can't really disagree. :lol:

But again, your judgment call on what luxury is or not.

$25 is probably equivalent to a teaspoon of 1 scent of Chanel perfume diluted in alcohol. But you can make the judgment call on luxury and worth for yourself, I suppose.

Erm... This is really besides the point of the discussion, but you can get a 1 ml sample of Chanel perfume for $3. You can also get a sample of pure parfum oil for as little as $9.

Usually though, I just go to department stores and boutiques and test things for free or ask for for samples. Sales ladies are often pretty generous.

What I'm saying is a 1mL sample of oil for $3.50 isn't totally ridiculous, especially if, given your background, you are familiar with how traditional houses price their products -- particularly their eau de parfum which is way diluted. You get a lot more mileage out of straight oil.

Now, if your argument is that the samples should be free, I can't really disagree. :lol:

But again, your judgment call on what luxury is or not.

And if you're lucky enough to live near one of the stores that stocks bpal or a location that does a monthly Will Call, you CAN try things for free! There just aren't as many boutiques stocking bpal as their are malls or department stores stocking the major brands.

(Also, I wore Guerlain too before finding bpal. The Aqua Allegoria Lavande Velours was my daily perfume. My taste has changed dramatically since then, and the alcohol now makes me sneeze.)

Bpal isn't for everyone and to some...it may be like grilled cheese compared to filet mignon, say.

For me though? I've found more perfume oils that Beth has made that work on me and that smell better on me than any supposed fancy house, commerical perfumes. They are the grilled cheese of the perfume world to me. I spit on them. Phoowee.

Besides, I can not stand how they are mass marketed with little to no real inspiration. You want unique? You want inspiration? Go through *just* the general catalog for Bpal. I dare you not to be inspired by at least one blend. Double dog dare.

Anyway, I hope you like your samples. :D Everyone should know the magic that is Bpal at least once in their lives.

I think BPAL isn't for you, Jayne.

MG, Jayne can really only reach a final verdict after she tries the oils for herself.

I agree with people who say I need to give the samples a try before freaking out. Maybe I've been overreacting.

Speaking from a fragrance perspective, the thing with oils is that you need a trial-and-error-period to figure out what works on your skin and what doesn't, and in accordance to that which notes are really "you". For example, I know honey turns out beautiful on my skin while my chemistry turns many types of jasmine to instant cat pee. When you do get your imps, have the note lists handy in front of you while you test them and jot down what's working and what isn't; then you'll have a better idea what you might want to swap for.

Edited by Invidiana

I'm certain the mall scents...lack creativity. I prefer not to smell like everyone else.

Besides, I can not stand how [fancy house, commerical perfumes] are mass marketed with little to no real inspiration.

I'm sorry but that sentiment makes me really angry.

Edited by jayne

Speaking from a fragrance perspective, the thing with oils is that you need a trial-and-error-period to figure out what works on your skin and what doesn't, and in accordance to that which notes are really "you". For example, I know honey turns out beautiful on my skin while my chemistry turns many types of jasmine to instant cat pee. When you do get your imps, have the note lists handy in front of you while you test them and jot down what's working and what isn't; then you'll have a better idea what you might want to swap for.

Right. And this can change even from month to month. Honey used to be awful on me, but now I looove it. Natural based perfumery is more susceptible to change than big house traditional perfumery, because it lacks the stabilizing fixatives and synthetics, so there is a LOT of trial and error.

Try your first samples and see what you think. When you're ready to try more, you can always ask in the Recommendations forum for advice on your next order. You'll find that lots of us are eager to help others pick out scents. We've all been n00bs and we know how overwhelming the catalog is at first.

Mainly, read forum reviews. They're a great resource. Hate Jasmine, worried how strong it is in a scent? Read the reviews. You'll find lots of other people who hate jasmine who comment on how the blend is either intolerable or surprisingly nice. Review threads can get quite long, so I tend to read the most recent 4 pages or so. That gives you a good variety of opinions and will clue you in to recent batch variations (or tell you how a scent has aged, if it's an LE).

And if you're lucky enough to live near one of the stores that stocks bpal or a location that does a monthly Will Call, you CAN try things for free! There just aren't as many boutiques stocking bpal as their are malls or department stores stocking the major brands.

Oh that would be really cool. I live in a larger city, so it might be an option. I looked on the website but I couldn't find any listing for boutiques that carry BPAL. Is there a page anywhere that has this?

Bpal isn't for everyone and to some...it may be like grilled cheese compared to filet mignon, say.

For me though? I've found more perfume oils that Beth has made that work on me and that smell better on me than any supposed fancy house, commerical perfumes. They are the grilled cheese of the perfume world to me. I spit on them. Phoowee.

Besides, I can not stand how they are mass marketed with little to no real inspiration. You want unique? You want inspiration? Go through *just* the general catalog for Bpal. I dare you not to be inspired by at least one blend. Double dog dare.

Anyway, I hope you like your samples. :D Everyone should know the magic that is Bpal at least once in their lives.

what an awesome post! ITA. :wub2:

I do think the lab buys component oils from various sources, but I strongly suspect (I can't say I know because I don't work for them) that they do NOT buy from the mass production synthetic oil companies that sell fragrances to Yankee or wholesale their products to every bath and body producer mixing things up on the web. For one thing, I think Beth has too strong a background in traditional perfumery (there's a thread somewhere that talks about where she studied, I'm sure someone less lazy than I will find it for you), and for another, bpal simply doesn't smell like those oils once applied to the skin..

Certain blends that bpal produces are much more likely to smell like a Yankee Candle shop than others. I don't think any perfumer out there can produce the scent of candy corn or funnel cakes or the like without using a lot of synthetics. Some people love those scents and they can be fun and they sell, so the lab continues to produce them. Some people (like me) tend to dislike them and that’s fine too. Part of loving perfume is loving the way in which it creates a mood or a signature scent. If we all smelled the same it would be no fun at all! For me, perfume is very much tied up with identity. It’s why I tend to acquire less scents than lots of my compatriots here. I have a specific scent profile that is “me” and I stick to it...

(Ps. The inside of my imp box does smell like the miasma from a candle store. Luckily, once the oils are applied they smell great. I think any time lots of strong scents mingle you get that dreaded Yankee Candle fog. That’s why having a box that closes is so important!)

This was really helpful. Thank you so much. Your comment felt really...honest.

(And thanks to other people who responded! I'm kind of overwhelmed right now with links and comments...)

Well, I went to makeupalley and picked out the most popular, generally appealing ones I could find: Snake Oil, Dorian, White Rabbit, Old Morocco, Dana O'Shee, and Vixen. I was really hoping to find a smooth smokey lavender but I didn't want to risk it early on without being more educated.

Edited by jayne

I'm certain the mall scents...lack creativity. I prefer not to smell like everyone else.

Besides, I can not stand how [fancy house, commerical perfumes] are mass marketed with little to no real inspiration.

:lol:

Here. Have a grilled cheese.

It's ok. I was a bit pissed when you posted what you did. I just didn't go to your "home base" and post my thoughts there. No, I was polite enough to do it here.

Seriously though, I didn't mean to offend but I was expressing myself in a true fashion and how I feel just as you did in your first post. No hard feelings. Maybe you should tell us a bit about your favorite notes and we could possibly point you in the right direction as far as blends to try. The ladies here are extremely helpful and very lovely when it comes to enabling.

May you enjoy whatever floats your boat and refrain from stepping on my grilled cheese while doing it. :drunk: I mean that in the friendliest way possible. :D

This is exactly what you accuse BPAL of doing. So maybe you should sit back a minute and think of whether we should be just as mad at you.

Beth takes enormous amounts of pride in her work and will take YEARS to perfect a blend. It is RIDICULOUSLY insulting to say that she just slaps together fragrance oils like a generic chain candle maker. You should have read the FAQ and About Us sections of the site, and the FAQ section of this board before you started making judgements.

I do think the lab buys component oils from various sources, but I strongly suspect (I can't say I know because I don't work for them) that they do NOT buy from the mass production synthetic oil companies that sell fragrances to Yankee or wholesale their products to every bath and body producer mixing things up on the web. For one thing, I think Beth has too strong a background in traditional perfumery (there's a thread somewhere that talks about where she studied, I'm sure someone less lazy than I will find it for you), and for another, bpal simply doesn't smell like those oils once applied to the skin..

Certain blends that bpal produces are much more likely to smell like a Yankee Candle shop than others. I don't think any perfumer out there can produce the scent of candy corn or funnel cakes or the like without using a lot of synthetics. Some people love those scents and they can be fun and they sell, so the lab continues to produce them. Some people (like me) tend to dislike them and that’s fine too. Part of loving perfume is loving the way in which it creates a mood or a signature scent. If we all smelled the same it would be no fun at all! For me, perfume is very much tied up with identity. It’s why I tend to acquire less scents than lots of my compatriots here. I have a specific scent profile that is “me” and I stick to it...

This was really helpful. Thank you so much. Your comment felt really...honest.

(And thanks to other people who responded! I'm kind of overwhelmed right now with links and comments...)

Well, I went to makeupalley and picked out the most popular, generally appealing ones I could find: Snake Oil, Dorian, White Rabbit, Old Morocco, Dana O'Shee, and Vixen. I was really hoping to find a smooth smokey lavender but I didn't want to risk it early on without being more educated.

if you can find it on a sales board try to find a sniffie of a farewell to false love. if i remember right it's smooth lavender, i don't remember about the smoky part, but you could layer it with another blend.

Oh that would be really cool. I live in a larger city, so it might be an option. I looked on the website but I couldn't find any listing for boutiques that carry BPAL. Is there a page anywhere that has this?

It's the "Bazaar" link in the menu on the Lab's website.

I was really hoping to find a smooth smokey lavender but I didn't want to risk it early on without being more educated.

That would be a good topic for the recommendation forum! In fact, there might already be a lavender recommendation thread. (Your thread has been merged into the FAQ thread so I won't go into detail here, but there are not so many lavender blends in the GC. The more complex ones tend to be LE.)

The top 10 sorts of scents, you'll notice, tend to be vanilla heavy. Whether they're smutty or modest and girly, creamy vanilla tends to be a favorite quality. So if you hate vanilla, you may be out of luck in your first imp pack -- BUT everything you ordered tends to get better with age, so keep them and try them again a few months after they arrive. They'll change a lot.

Edited by naeelah

Right. And this can change even from month to month. Honey used to be awful on me, but now I looove it. Natural based perfumery is more susceptible to change than big house traditional perfumery, because it lacks the stabilizing fixatives and synthetics, so there is a LOT of trial and error.

To add to this, it's common that the way perfume reacts to your body chemistry changes around your period. It can also depend on and differ with changes in your diet, stress level, activity level, and many other factors.

If there is something that tends to go rancid on you during that time of the month, or something you love the smell of in the bottle but goes wonky on your skin, try a scent locket; BPTP has really cool ones.

Edited by Invidiana