Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
jj_j

Sweet Grass

The green, flowing, aquatic herbal note in several of the Voodoo blends.

One of my favorites, but easy to get carried away with. Just as robust in single note form as it is in the blends.

At first, I was very surprised - initially, this smells citrusy to me, dry mellow orangey, but green grassy too - not too green, sort of like a dry field of long grasses in the summer. After about an hour, it's truly like a bunch of sweet grass used to "smudge" - that dry, spicy golden grassy sweet scent. Really wonderful. The staying power is good, even after four-five hours the true grassy scent is still going strong.

In bottle: Green and herbally. It makes me think of a backlot field where kids play kickball after school.

On me: There's hints of different green plants in it. On one sniff I think I smell dandelion; on the next I smell green grass blades. It is like the smell of a lawn; there isn't just grass, as I expected, but it's definitely a grass note.

I found Sweet Grass to be extremely lemony, which was a surprise -- I was not able to pick out anything like fresh-mown lawn or dry hay or anything else. Just lemon.

at first: fresh and green.

on: very, very grassy.

1 hour later: still grassy and nice.

2 hours later: soft. pretty much gone.

overall: this single note is very interesting in unique. i'm glad i tried it, since i'll be able to pick it out of blends.

Sweet Grass - I received an empty imp of Sweet Grass that had just enough oil on the glass of the vial that when I put a drop of fractionated coconut oil into the vial, I was able to pick up just enough Sweet Grass SN to test one time. I am really, really surprised at how much I like this scent. I did not expect to like it at all. I am allergic to grass, and so my guess is that when I thought of Sweet Grass SN, I immediately thought of my miserable head allergies. However, this blend is gorgeous. I thought maybe it would smell like a freshly-mown lawn, but it doesn't. It smells like the prairies around here a month or two after a wildfire, when bright green, fresh, clean and brand new prairie grasses have started growing again. That's the only way I can describe it -- green, clean, fresh prairie grass. I don't know if I'd ever wear it as a scent on its own, but it's wonderful to get to test it out and now I'm positive this is the grass note that is used in one of my favorite blends, Coyote.

I don't like Sweet Grass much when I first dab it on, it has a sharp lemony citrus bite to it that I find unpleasant. However, in the drydown, this is really quite lovely. It's not as strong and darkly green as the fresh cut grass smell, but it does smell grassy. Sweet Grass on me almost smells like a field of wildflowers, minus the flowers. It has a green and fresh quality to it, but not dark green, and it's slightly more herbal.

I'd get a bottle of this one if I could :P

In the bottle: Herby, green, sweet... like a mix between lilac and something cologney.

Wet: Same as in the bottle, it really smells like cut, slightly aquatic grass when it's wet. As it dries, it gets spicier and more powdery. There's something peppery in here.

Drydown: As it dries down, it becomes very sweet, quite cologney and spicy, and very deep, somehow. There's even something a bit salty and sea-like, here. Lots of different herbs, it's a very organic blend, and some of these herbs smell like diapers to me... oops. It really reminds me of some kind of herbal balm, but for the life of me I can't remember what. There's a nearly floral quality to it, too.

Overall: It's my first single note, and I really didn't expect it to be this complex, but it is! Wow! This is definitely a prairie type of smell, starting out like fresh grass and ending up like dry, powdery grass. On my skin, it goes very powdery and cologney (sweet-citrusy?), which is sad because I love it when it's wet. I this this turns up frequently in voodoo blends, Coyote and Scarecrow.

Green grass, kinda sweet, and just... grassy. As it dries, I get more of a basil/green stem sort of whiff to it.

The vibe is slightly aquatic, and I can see it when it ends up in a few Voodoo Blends.

Absolutely lovely.