Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
jj_j

Black Poppy

My heritage is Czech, so I know a good kolache when I see one ... and poppy seed is one of my favorites.

Black poppy has just the faintest hint of the dried seeds - it's a dry, not sweet, scent unto itself. This is definitely a floral, but it's a soft, wistful, and dry floral, not a sweet or ... go ahead and laugh at me ... flowery one.

Dry spice - I think this could well be one of the notes in Xiuhtecuhtli.

I agree with jj_j - this is a very dry floral. I don't smell poppy seeds, but I do smell dessicated (yet still very fragrant) flowers. The drydown is almost peppery in its spiciness, without losing its any of its "floral" qualities.

This is very interesting - I wish I had ordered a 5ml instead of just an imp before it was gone!

I was lucky enough to win an imp of this in the forum raffle, and it's a definite keeper! Unfortunately, I'm a bit lost for words on how to describe it, except that it's warm and heady while still being somewhat 'dry'. It has a very glamorous sort of feel to it while not being over-the-top.

Black Poppy - I have never smelled an actual black poppy, so I don't know what they smell like or if this scent is true to life or not. However, I have made my way through the haze of an opium den, and I can tell you that this scent is a dead ringer for the sweet, wonderful scent of opium smoke. (And no, I've never smoked opium myself, just smelled others smoking it.) It's beautiful and dark and almost incense-like in its husky sweetness. It reminds me the slightest bit of carnation single note, but darker and just a touch soapier. Overall, this is a gorgeous single note that I will happily wear both by itself and as a layering note to bring out the black poppy/opium notes in other BPAL blends.

I try to review everything that comes my way, and I've had a decant of Black Poppy for a while now. I really dislike the whole poppy/opium scent. It's pretty much my least favorite note. It makes me ill. Putting that prejudice aside...

This actually smells very white to me. White, smoky, and hazy. And it goes all sharp on my skin. It almost wants to be sweet, but I can't get past that sharpness (almost metallic, like cheap hairspray). I suppose it's a warm, smoky, cutting floral. Not for me.

straight sniff from bottle is veeeeeeeeeeery perfumey...

once applied this is a dead ringer for YSL's opium...

loads of throw so a little dab'll do ya ;)

Dry, soft wispy white floral. Kinda smoky, kinda hazy. Oddly somnolent, like a waking dream. This smells dark, rich, and softly seductive. I can see how this had a huge throw, especially as a younger blend. It still has a good throw, and what I'd consider average wear length.

It's a white floral in the same way it is classic, sophisticated, perfumey. Like you wouldn't be surprised if this was part of Chanel No 5. That's the vibe it has.