Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

The search for the perfect Violet....

I want to try one of these and I need help deciding. I realize the Saturnalia is violet and vetiver and the Le Serpent has vanilla, gardenia and violet. The Fautus has frankincense, cinnamon and violet. I don't know which one I should try. Can anyone compare these for me? Also, I usually like deeper scents/woody/spicy ones. I also like vanilla. I'm not sure about vetivert. I've never smelled it as a single note. I would appreciate any thoughts. The only violet products I have used are Lush's Bathos and Skinny Dip which has mainly clove, white chocolate and violet. Thanks in advance everyone.

I haven't tried Faustus or Saturnalia yet, but I have tried Le Serpent Qui Danse (wore it again yesterday as a matter of fact ^^). I smell the gardenia in it more than anything else.

Vetiver is a woody note, and oddly enough I *can* smell it in skinny dip. It's very nice. Lush also uses it in most of its cocunut products. To temper the sweetness maybe? Anyway I like it.

I ordered a sample of Faustus in my last order and am quite looking forward to it too since I adore cinnamon.

I have a sample of Faustus on the way also. I'm having a hard time waiting. I keep telling myself to wait for the package before I order again (and believe me, I have a huge order coming), but something happened with my order and they had to redo it....so I still didn't get it yet. Anyway, I tried to order the Faustus on my last order cuz I like cinnamon also and Elizabeth said I should try it first. I'm not real big on the sample vials, as I use so much oil (dry skin and I use a lot) that the samples aren't worth it for me. I'd rather buy the 5 ml. I'll try to hang in there and be patient (not one of my strong suits - although I totally understand everyone at the Lab was sick and they're behind). Please do let me know your thoughts on both Fautus and Saturnalia if you try it. I do love Lush's coconut products, so I think I like Vetivert.

I have all 3.

Saturnalia is a smoky deep purple violet. Strong n' sexy violet

Faustus doesn't smell violety to me at all just VERY spicy & heady, maybe there's a feint hint of violet lurking in the back. Hidden violet.

Le Serpent qui Danse is a vanillaish, floraly type violet , sweetly feminine violet.

:P Hope that helps

Cross posted from Bust--someone there asked a similar question, and I don't know if y'all read both boards (apologies if you do!).

So, I finally got around to trying both Le Serpent and Saturnalia yesterday, one on each arm.

Thoughts: they are similar, and I can definitely detect the same notes in both, but there is a difference. Saturnalia is greener, clear, damp, clean. Le Serpent is more floral, a little spicy, musky, a little more feminine. Saturnalia is a slightly stronger scent. I like it slightly better, but they're both really nice. It's like outside (Saturnalia) vs. inside (Le Serpent); forest and leaves and flowers vs. just flowers. If you were to get both, you'd definitely have different scents.

I didn't find Le Serpent to be dark or musky at all. The vanilla showed up during first wear, but the second time I wore it, it was the gardenia that was the most prominent. It was just very floral on me.

I was wondering if some of you seasoned aroma lovers could give me your opinions on the better violet BPAL choice. I have ordered some samples that are violet orientated, but I was curious to see if there was a favourite here on the forum.

I want something with a dominant violet scent, but I'm not sure with what combination...I have read all the reviews, but since I don't have an opinion to give, I thought I would ask for yours.

Thanks... :P

I've been really enamoured of Beth's violet scents of late; highly recommend Veil, Seraphim, and Old Sybaris.

Have ordered Marie and the single note in Violet, so will post reviews when they arrive. :P

Violet, neroli, eucalyptus and mint ---- this is Ultraviolet. I also love all of the Violet scents, Old Sybaris, Le Serpent Qui Danse, Veil, Seraphim, Faustus (with cinnamon also - very different), and The Raven.

Ultraviolet is highly underrated. The combo is really beautiful together, lasts long and goes well with my body chemistry.

I think it's my fav violet scent so far with Old Sybaris and Le Serpent coming in next with Veil..........hell..why am I even trying to decide which I like best. They're Beth's babies...........they all rock!!

I've tried the Raven - LOVE it - and Wings of Azrael. Wings of Azrael didn't agree with me as much - it has a streak of green in it, if I remember correctly, so I prefer the Raven ... it's dark and sexy.

I've ordered a sample of Old Sybaris, really looking forward to trying it!

Y'see I'm all about Saturnalia here. Love my violet but love my smokey spicy as well so this one's perfect. Le Serpent qui Danse is good also for something lighter. Mum has Marie & if memory serves I wasn't overly fond of it. Wings of Azrael was a little too sweetly violet per moi. Like mine with a bit of bite- Mum has Ultraviolet so will have to try that out as I know she loves it :P

Getting Old Sybaris & Veil in current order so jury's still out on the best violet smell. Curious to try Raven

Edited by Gothabillywench

Never used to like it much, but I've recently become a big violet fan. My favorite BPAL scents containing violets are:

Faustus

Old Sybaris

Le Serpent qui Danse

Others have already described these scents thoroughly above, so I'll leave it at that.

Count me as another Violet lover. I absolutely love Ultraviolet, but it doesn't seem to last long enough on me. Last week I placed an order for about 6 imp's ears of violety scents, once I've got them and tried them out I'll post here what my favs are.

Editing after receiving and testing:

Well, I am 100% with Gothabilly Wench on this one. Saturnalia all the way.

I also got:

Old Sybaris

The Raven

Wings of Azrael

Faustus

Marie

By far (on me) Saturnalia is the most Violet and the darkest and most decadent. I also love, love, love Faustus and love, love Old Sybaris.

Now I'm all fired up to buy a big bottle of Saturnalia.

Edited by xoe

Thanks everyone!

I have my next set of imps all planned, 9 of which are violet.

Veil, Marie, Nocturne, Faustus, Ultra Violet, Old Venice, Bats Blood, Wings of Azrael and The Raven. (Plus about 20 others.)

I have Saturnalia, Le Serpent and Viola on their way. Can't wait! I'm out in the garden sniffing violets in anticipation. :P

Edited by melopomene

I am trying to find something in the violet range that has a bit of spiciness and yummy chocolate in it.

Is there anything Bpal that recalls this combination?

I have coming in my order:

Saturnalia, Faustus, Old Sybaris which are all violet oils.

Am I missing one?

Or is there a combo that could effect this?

Thanks bunches :P

Wings of Azrael is my favorite violet currently. I've tried Old Sybaris, Veil, and Nocturne as well. Those are all lovely; Wings of Azrael just seems to be the longest lasting on me.

As for chocolate and violet, no ideas. :P Maybe add a dab of Bliss or Gluttony to one of the violet scents??

Saturnalia is one of my absolute favorites. But I think that Old Sybaris will probably give you what you're looking for. It isn't really very chocolatey, but it is quite spicy.

Old Sybaris was my first thought - let us know what you think when you get it, lavinia! As you all know, it doesn't have chocolate, but I find the tonka bean very foodie and warm and almost chocolatey in its richness. Yum!

Ooh thank you all for the words!

I cannot wait for Old Sybaris now :P

I think a bottle of Bliss is in my future...