Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
kebechet

Getting sick of orders showing up as delivered...

I have to disagree. I work until well past the last delivery of the day and there's nobody around in my three unit apartment building to sign for packages. I've had no end of trouble with packages getting sent back to the USPS (or UPS) and me having to find a way to "spring them". I understand the problems the lab is having, but I don't think all of the missing packages were stolen at the point on delivery. It sounds far more like they were stolen/lost/destroyed at the post office (particularly because things seem to be going so much more smoothly now that Elizabeth's using a new post office). Almost no other companies, with the exception of my winery, require signature confirmation.

I have to disagree.  I work until well past the last delivery of the day and there's nobody around in my three unit apartment building to sign for packages.

If viable, having the option to require that packages could be signed for, rather than making it a blanket policy should mean that everyone's happy?

Sort of...I'd hate to take that option and have no recourse if the package did get lost. Again, none of the other bath and body business I patronize (and there are many, unfortunately for my wallet) run their business that way. On the other hand, it so rare that packages get lost forever that this option would probably work out fine.

I just wanted to clarify, if you need a signature to get your package, if you don't sign for it, does it get sent to the nearest post office? I'm just wondering, because I live in a dorm and I get in a slip in my mail box when I get a package and I have to sign for it before they give it to me, but it's not a USPS thing. I don't know.

at least at my old dorm, the front desk (who took care of filling the mail) would sign for packages - they don't really care who signs for it as long as it gets signed for. goes for fed ex, ups, and usps...

I would say to get a signature for packages that are going to apartment buildings. With a house, it's easier. It either gets to the house or it doesn't. When I lived in an apartment several years ago, the mailman used to just dump all packages on a table in the hall. Anybody had access to them. I would think that the buyer would want such protection as signature confirmation. It's a guarantee that someone in the building is not swiping their stuff! Hate to say it, but it does happen.

they actually put bpal packages in my mailbox, and any package that doesn't fit into my mailbox gets pink slipped (so i have to visit the post office to pick 'em up), requiring sig's or not..

it's usps policy to pink slip rather than drop off now.

Use 3 day Fed Ex instead. It would increase shipping costs, but it's 99.9% reliable delivery AND someone has to sign for it, so you know beyond doubt who picked it up. IMHO, well worth the cost increase for the increased speed and security. I live in a high rise and the concierge will not sign for anything, but FedEx leaves a ticket on my door asking me to sign and tell them where to leave the package. So it actually takes me a one day longer to have it in my hands. But even if that's your situation, that you can't be there to accept delivery, it's just one more day after you sign the ticket they leave, and you will have your stuff.

Check out this page from Aromaleigh:

http://www.aromaleigh.com/arcussercen.html

and on the page after, she gives the shipping rates.

FedEx just seems easier on so many levels. USPS registered mail is a headache for the sender, too much crap to fill out.

Edited by Fulltiltredhead

Good Morning All,

Thought I'd add my 2 cents. I live 22 miles west of midtown Manhattan & our USPS (that's the government post office) service has gotten worse & worse. Of course, we've had post offices shut down by anthrax scares and a few years ago postal employees were shot & killed by wackos. These guys need "hazardous duty pay", like in the military.

UPS, (aka "Brown") has always been laize faire regarding my deliveries. They leave them on my enclosed porch, no knock, nothing. Even my Berner doesn't bark at them anymore when they drop off packages.

FedEx has always been the most reliable & I feel the most confident in their services.

Bottom line: Let client choose shipping method, insurance & to sign or not to sign.

:P

RHM

I think requiring a signature is a great idea. I'd gladly pay extra for that service!!

*I know even though my address looks like it would be an apartment, it's actually a townhouse. Luckily I have yet to have any problems with anyone putting the letter associated with my address as an apartment letter/number.*

UPS, (aka "Brown") has always been laize faire regarding my deliveries. They leave them on my enclosed porch, no knock, nothing. Even my Berner doesn't bark at them anymore when they drop off packages.

FedEx has always been the most reliable & I feel the most confident in their services.

You know I actually have the reverse problem. UPS is very reliable and always comes to the door, knocks and hand delivers my packages. FedEx on the other hand hardly ever knocks and just throws my packages behind the bushes in front of my house.

Edited by akwill823

really? where i live in the boonies (literally, my apt building was carved out of a corn field about 15 years ago, and my "neighborhood" is literally a 2x3 block square that's surrounded by a corn field on 3 sides and the highway on the 4th), it's the other way around.

and it's such a pain because i have to drive 15 mi to go pick up stuff. worse than that? ups keeps fucked up hours (9-11, 3-6) that i have to make special trips.. the morning hours would make me late for class, the afternoon ones are so far after class and because of the wait (usually over an hour), i can't do something like shop between class and ups package pickup, so i have to make a special trip back to get them.

fed ex? yeah, they just leave it in the hallway. sometimes by my door, sometimes not. packages haven't been lost yet, but... well, let's just say my apartment building has a problem with troublesome teenagers.

... when people then email me and tell me they didn't get them. This is particularly plaguing orders I send to apartment buildings.

I have a condo, but I have that generic condo/apt style mailbox. My last BPAL package fit inside my mailbox. I always get worried about packages being left at my front door...I was very relieved when my last BPAL shipment was inside the box!!

But I'd be fine with signing anyway...my PO is up the street and relatively efficient.

--amy

Oooooo!! I LOVE FedEx!! I've never had any problems with them EVER. Plus they pick up too, right? That could rid you of your trips to the USPS.

I didn't know that about the USPS, Quantum Spice. Very interesting. They put my overlarge packages in a USPS bag and hang it on my mailbox "flag." Sometimes they leave it at my door though. Depends on the mailperson.

You know I actually have the reverse problem. UPS is very reliable and always comes to the door, knocks and hand delivers my packages.  FedEx on the other hand hardly ever knocks and just throws my packages behind the bushes in front of my house.

Same for me.

UPS always requires a signature from me--which I like because they will make 3 attempts. I usually miss the guy on the first day and then leave work early the second day and wait for him.

FedEx will leave anything at my door. I was not happy to find my DDR RAM from Crucial sitting at the door! I think FedEx also drives over packages with their trucks--whatever I get is usually broken or mangled! :P

On a side note, my UPS guy is pretty hot so I look forward to seeing him. :D

I'd say yes: I'm so used to everything I order requring a signature that it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

But as not everyone would feel that same, can you allow each customer to choose individually whether a signature is required for their order, or not if they're prepared to take the risk that it might go astray?

You would also then have the get-out that if someone didn't opt for signature-required, and the order went astray, you shouldn't have to resend it: it was their choice. Of course, if it goes astray and it's been signed for, you (or the customer) could then persue the postal service and find out who signed and go and shout at the them. Or something.

Frankly, anything that increases the security/reliability of the shipping process will get my vote.

I also think that the buyer should have to take responsibility for their order... If you choose a signature, you are almost guaranteed a pkg, if not - you're at risk...

My USPS employees are relatively responsible as are the UPS and FedEx. The USPS guy is incredibly nice - he even rolled my windows up in my car one day when it was raining! Ok, off topic...

Anyway, I am for whatever would make things easiest for the Lab...

Talk about f*cked up hours - UPS gets delivered to a valet service in the building that is only open three hours a day, during which time I'm at work, and in the early morning on Saturday. If I get a package from UPS on Monday, I can't pick it up until the following Saturday. Drives me nuts knowing I've paid the little extra to upgrade from USPS to UPS and yet actually receive my package days and days after.

Everybody's going to have a different opinion about this... I've not had trouble with USPS, but my apartment has those locker thingies someone was describing earlier for packages - I get a key in my (locked) mailbox. UPS, on the other hand, will leave anything at my doorstep (which I am NOT comfortable with). Fed Ex requires a signature before leaving a package. I wouldn't mind signature confirmation for USPS items, but honestly would not be crazy about paying even more shipping on a package that I may not see for weeks. You must have had some wicked bad experiences with UPS/Fed Ex/Airborne Express not to be switching carriers with all of the headaches you've been having.

Bottom line - do what works best for you, and we'll all deal with it! After all, we're already hooked, it's not like we'll stop buying your oils!

Bottom line - do what works best for you, and we'll all deal with it! After all, we're already hooked, it's not like we'll stop buying your oils!

Exactly! I know *I* will still be ordering, even if the Lab has to incrase shipping costs...

I think I remember Beth saying that she *has* had troubles with UPS and Fedex... Not sure, though...big

Bottom line - do what works best for you, and we'll all deal with it!

Exactly.

If we need to go to signature required, I'll have them delivered to my office instead. No big deal.

UPS or Fedex are easier for me, and have a better track record in my personal experience, but it's all about what makes business better - on so many levels - for you, Beth.

It all seems to depend on where you live. UPS rings the doorbell at my house, but usually leaves packages right there on the porch. (Sometimes they hide them behind the railing post.) The mailman usually leaves envelope-shaped things inside the screen door -- even if they might fit through with a bit of shoving.

I've never had trouble with getting stuff that required a signature from UPS or FedEx -- usually I can just sign a little "release" that I leave on the doorknob, and they'll redeliver it to wherever I've instructed. USPS is sometimes a little more problematic -- our post office isn't far away but it has a distressingly high moron population behind the counter.

Still, anything that would help Elizabeth make sure packages get to us would be a good thing!

very interesting to hear about all these different problems. hard to believe that USPS is one cohesive national government organization. <insert political rant about government organizations>

Personally, I want to switch to UPS. Even if this doesn't get done, I'd really like to pay more through Paypal to use UPS (and be a huge pain in the butt). Honestly, I don't trust my mailman, he's an asshole who broke my mailbox, has completely ruined the front of our lawn (he delivers the mail in his pickup truck and refuses to get out), and knocked the numbers off the mailbox. I'm never sure whether or not to blame him or some random kids when they throw eggs in our box.

Fortunately, my BPAL packages all fit in the mailbox. We'll see how UPS goes when I get my big LUSH box, but with all my mom's recent camping orders, they ring the doorbell, wait for someone to come, and if not, prop the box under the eave of our door. Never mishandled, but I do live in a pretty good semi-gated neighborhood, and we are technically considered rural.

About signing, well, I worry about my package, hence why I want a tracking number (the USPS doesn't really track, had a huge convo about this with the nice guy at the UPS store, and the people at the insanely busy post office), but I'm not sure how my asshole mailman would deal with having to get out of his truck.

Oh and

On a side note, my UPS guy is pretty hot so I look forward to seeing him.

my g'ma has a huge crush on the UPS guy.

Edited by lizzieborden

Bottom line - do what works best for you, and we'll all deal with it!

Exactly.

If we need to go to signature required, I'll have them delivered to my office instead. No big deal.

UPS or Fedex are easier for me, and have a better track record in my personal experience, but it's all about what makes business better - on so many levels - for you, Beth.

There's never anyone home at my house all day. I don't even get home until the post office is closing. I don't know how I'd ever get my packages. Isn't there a way you can mail stuff (I did this with Lush swaps) that is called delivery confirmation and the mailman has to sign that he actually delivered the package, but he doesn't have to make you sign for it? Also, I can't have my package sent to work cuz I work in large hospital. I would still order no matter what Beth decides to do. I guess I'd have to figure something out. I just wish everything would start working out for poor Beth. Enough already!!!

Yeah, it's called Signature Release. You agree to indemnify and hold FedEx harmless for leaving the package without your signature. That works too. But then that brings us back full circle to packages that are not signed for.

USPS is working on better software for tracking. I work for a patent firm and they are a client. They have several method of doing business patents in the works. Maybe things will get better.

Now, lately Oz Post have been leaving parcels at the door instead if we're not in. Now I don't know if they do this 'cause we live in a safe area & out doorstep is far from the road or if it's standard procedure now. So I'm all for signing for it as, given I'm moving into an apartment block soon, I'd rather the mild inconvenience of having to pick something up from the P.O than having some theiving bugger help themself to my stuff! :P

It's illegal for Australia Post to leave parcels that require signatures on your door step. They can with parcels that don't require signatures though. If your parcels requite signatures and are being left, complain, loudly. They can only do that if you sign a form telling them it's ok.

Kylie.

Just to put my $.02 in: I'd prefer NOT to have a signature required. My living situation is as follows...there are 3 units on the property, but mail ONLY gets delivered to the front house. They are rarely home, and even if I were home when the mail carrier arrived, I'd never know s/he was there, because I cannot see the front house from my unit.

I also would prefer not to have "signature required" be an option we choose, if it meant that if another USPS screw-up happened, customers would have no recourse if their package got lost and they hadn't chosen that option. However, I'm all for paying an additional shipping insurance fee. That way, we'd all be protected, customers and BPAL.

I also would prefer not to have "signature required" be an option we choose, if it meant that if another USPS screw-up happened, customers would have no recourse if their package got lost and they hadn't chosen that option. However, I'm all for paying an additional shipping insurance fee. That way, we'd all be protected, customers and BPAL.

Perhaps we could have both options?

That way, we could click the respective boxes when we order to choose whether to sign for our package, OR buy insurance for it, OR both? (and there should be a disclaimer, saying that BPAL is NOT responsible for lost or stolen packages if we do not choose EITHER.)

I think this would be most sensible.

I would rather pay more for insurance than to have to sign for package also.

I will do what I have to do... A signature requires a trip to the post office which isn't horribly far away. If it makes things more secure fine. It seems that things that have to be tracked by signature don't come up missing as often.

Anything to get rid of doubt and missing packages.