Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A mermaid’s delight: pearlescent orris butter, polished coral, lilac-blushed choya nakh, ambergris foam, osmanthus petals, salt-crusted driftwood, honey dust, white grapefruit peel, cerulean musk, golden flecks of sea-speckled amber, and bittersweet mimosa.

To my nose, this is more gourmand-smelling than floral or aquatic, but I know the floral notes are adding to its complexity. At first, the honey dust dominates the scent. While I don't mind this note, it's also not one I gravitate towards. However, as the scent wears the other notes peek out. Next I get some saltiness, which turns the honey into a salted caramel kind of scent. The grapefruit is tart; the florals stay very tame (at least on me). I think the cerulean musk and amber keep this from going too far into the food direction and generally give the scent a "sparkly" feel (similar to Awake, if you've tried it), but they aren't easy for me to pinpoint on their own.

As the scent warms on the skin there's a bit of a "toasty" note I'm guessing is the choya nakh? But it's pretty subtle. I dig it. As for the ambergris, I can tell it's adding to the backbone of the scent and just adding to the prettiness as it wears over time. It's more perfumey at this stage. 

This scent lasts a long time on me and in its final stage smells like cotton candy. It's a very interesting scent overall with a lot of fun changes as it wears . . . just beware the initial honey dust blast if that isn't your favorite note. A lovely mermaid treasure of a perfume. 🧜‍♀️ 

bpal’s honey dust is usually a loud ick on me but the rest of the notes were too tempting to pass up. the honey dust is indeed yelling as soon as i put this on, but the backbone of the scent is very appealing. it’s a floral musky number with some zingy grapefruit, overall very sweet & perfumey, with the citrus combating the vintage pull i get from the orris-amber combo. the osmanthus takes the fore with the honey dust while the grapefruit & ambergris are the second line & the musk/amber/orris swirl in the back with a little extra aquatic oomph. excellent mermaid vibes with a massive throw. the honey dust is still probably a no for me, but it does work well with the osmanthus & more bitter fresh ambergris-y grapefruit.

A lilac heavy, orris scent, with a touch of ambergris. The orris-lilac duo is the strongest on me. I can just pick out the osmanthus, but it really doesn't hold its own in the scent, rather plays support to the lilac, giving it a more full body roundness. The ambergris is there, but similarly playing support to the orris, almost melting into it. I also get what reads to me as a porcelain note. I suspect it's the coral and cerulean musk mixing with the florals. Among the remaining notes, I can only pick out the honey, giving the scent a prick of full body sweetness.Overall, I'm reminded of tea cups filled with lilacs. I wouldn't describe this as an aquatic scent, instead there's enough ambergris to bring to mind a cool spring day. Maybe, at most distant salty air over a orris heavy garden party.

When I first put it on it smells heady and sweet, like molasses. Then I start to pick up on something citrusy, must be the grapefruit. The florals come out after that, and then everything settles down together, resulting in a scent that is both fresh and deep. A pretty summery scent with complexity.

I get honey dust and the aquatic notes in the imp. The aquatics are fresh, bright and very lightly salty and the honey dust is warm, sweet, and has a body to it but there is a separation to my nose, like oil and water. On my skin they blend into eachother more, and I think the florals and amber/ambergris/orris help with that. The honey is less heavy on my skin and with the florals gives a breezy impression. It's much less aquatic on my skin, more breezy florals and light sweet amber with just a tiny tinge of aquatic, really mostly the freshness of the blue musk and a tiny sliver of grapefruit for brightness.

I received a tester of this in a decant order.

Take the Lab's toffee-like honey dust note from scents like Boop and Portrait of Princess Marthe Bibesco and swirl it with some aquatic notes, and you get Treasure. It is mostly honey dust meets salty sea spray at first before it becomes more aquatic than honeyed, although the honey dust is present throughout wear. I do think that the way that the aquatic notes combine with the honey dust is evocative of the scent's namesake, with the honey dust representing the chest of golden treasure that the mermaid is looking at in the painting. It's hard to pull apart the specific aquatic notes from this, but it was more aquatic than floral on me, and the orris, while present, didn't make me smell like I fell into a vat of baby powder this time.

I'd recommend this to fans of the Lab's honey dust note that also curious about an aquatic take on it. This isn't something I could see myself reaching for, but it was nice to be able to try it.

Edited by doomsday_disco