Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Just got my package yesterday, so this is a first impression test and is subject to change with more rest!!

In the bottle: black tea?

Freshly applied: It's very potent! So I think I'm mainly smelling a sweet watery black tea and chrysanthemums, which I believe have a kind of dry subdued vegetal floral smell? at least from comparing to my only other chrysanthemum scent.

Drydown: It's kinda the same as the wet stage, sweet watery floral tea. maybe the lotus root is adding a bit more floral sweetness. Idk why but this scent reminds me of filipino aunties lol, it's mature but comforting, it gives me a sense of being in a safe and familiar household with people who care about you and are always trying to feed you. NGL i bought this hoping the tea part would be barely noticeable because I mainly wanted a chrysanthemum powerhouse. It's still a pretty scent though! Also, it's hella strong and long-lasting!!

This starts off with very strong fresh chrysanthemum, like shoving your face into a bunch of flowers. It's almost astringent, but very definitely floral. After 20 minutes the chrysanthemum has become gentler, and is nicely balanced with the tea. It's like black tea with chrysanthemums in it rather than fresh chrysanthemums and tea. The lotus root takes a while to show up. It adds just a little sweetness and depth.

This might be my favourite 2024 Shunga. It's simple but lovely and I can even make a drinkable version in a teapot.

There is an unlisted honey note in this. I wonder if it is what makes the lotus candied?

Anyway, this is mostly honeyed chrysanthemum on me. It reminds me of the chrysanthemum tea you can get in some traditional Chinese restaurants. I don't smell any bubblegum-y lotus here, and the black tea isn't distinct to me as the honeyed floral aspect of this scent is so strong... but perhaps it is contributing to the honeyed chrystanthemum tea vibe.

I'm not sure that this is something that I need more of, but I think I'll end up keeping my decant.

Edited by doomsday_disco

I agree with doomsday_disco, I am being utterly blasted with honey scent. I think it's the honey note from Jezebel, which is more pleasant than other honey notes but is also very, very strong.

All I've been smelling for the last 12 hours is the honey from Jezebel with a different floral twang.

Yes, 12 hours. The couple with the go board has a lot of stamina. They're still going at it.

I get a honeyed chrysanthemum (herbal) tea. The sweetness is gravitating between the candied lotus root and white honey.

Edited by theredkilt

all black tea on me ? i blind bottled this when shungas came out - wondering if i will get more chrysanthemum as it ages?

edit - tried again (uploaded initial notes on scent) - after over a month this is all tea when it goes on wet, then softens into chrysanthemum, soft, sweet - a honey like smell (a very light honey that isn’t sticky - more of a nectar? - i can’t place it w any honey notes, maybe something like ‘tissue’ or the honey-lotus-beeswax shunga from a yr or two back. maybe that is the candied lotus. nonetheless - i'm happy with this now!!!

Edited by picturesofmeghan