Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

In the bottle and on wet, the beeswax is the star. As it dries the cherry blossom chypre + powder start a duet and move up to the fore. This is classic, elegant, and soft, but not muted. Throw is pretty solid for such a delicate scent. It smells like what Phryne Fisher might smell like after a bath, imported finery and luxe finishes. It smells cool but also like warm skin, which might be the white amber/chypre/rice powder combo. I think this will really shine in warm weather, giving a freshly showered vibe even on the grossest humid summer days.  If you like vintage makeup scents, this is definitely up your alley.

What I mainly get from this is a strong lipstick accord that slowly becomes dirtier and muskier and mossier. Sort of a fabulous fantasy of hooking up with a boy who wears makeup. I bought this thinking it would be a nice gauzy spring fragrance but I think it will actually better suited for autumn nights as it’s definitely strongly waxy-powdery-musky. Fantastic but probably not for everyone!

What I mainly get from this is a strong lipstick accord that slowly becomes dirtier and muskier and mossier. Sort of a fabulous fantasy of hooking up with a boy who wears makeup. I bought this thinking it would be a nice gauzy spring fragrance but I think it will actually better suited for autumn nights as it’s definitely strongly waxy-powdery-musky. Fantastic but probably not for everyone!

A typical bpal beeswax comes on hard and heavy right out of the gate. Here, its “dusty” quality is accented, and I’m not sure I’m a fan. A barely-there bittersweet cherry tinge persists in the background. Just when I think nothing will ever change, the rice powder emerges. I agree with others that it has a cosmetic feel, but it also has a gourmand aspect, recalling first mochi, then marshmallow as the white amber joins in. The roundness of the amber slowly swells, surrounded by a powdery cloud and always resting on that dusty beeswax. Despite gourmand aspect, there is a vintage vibe to this. Something about the mingling of powder and resin, which only grows more velvety as the oakmoss does its thing on the drydown. A sweet and unexpected exploration of texture.

for me this opens with the cherry blossom chypre and rice powder. it's dry and somewhat powdery, not sweet. i get beeswax and amber later, warming things up a bit. after awhile the cherry blossom gets a bit sweeter and more prominent, and it is still the strongest note for me. it kind of vacillates between being more powdery and going a bit more floral. i do not get beeswax as strongly as some other people. on me, it's more of a subtle background note. i can struggle with cherry blossom sometimes, but this one is great for me. really pretty for spring,

Edited by theseagrows

This is strongest on the chypre on me, with the cherry blossom being most noticeable once applied, before it is quickly taken over by the neroli-esque bergamot and the moss in the chypre. It actually reminded me of the cologne-y variation of the Lab's dead leaves accord at first before I realized it was those notes from the chypre. It does have a powderiness to it thanks to the rice powder and the white amber, and I totally understand the vintage make-up vibes that other reviewers have gotten from this. The beeswax, despite being the first note, is not a main player on me, and just serves to add a light sweetness to the scent.

I was hoping for more cherry blossom and beeswax from this. I don't dislike it, but it is too powdery and chypre-heavy on me, with not enough sweetness, sadly.

I also felt this one went on like an odd version of bpal's dead leaves note, but it must be the chypre interacting with the cherry blossoms to give it an almost spicy, torn green plant vibe for about 15 minutes before it nosedives into that vintage makeup/lipstick accord.  This stage domineers the scent for me, turning it into a makeup scent that sticks close to the skin but lingers well.

I agree with hivesofbees and am not sure I need a whole bottle, but it is fun, odd and a little unique.

If you're looking for a quirky, different little experience, give this a shot. But you must like makeup and beeswax.