Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sumatran patchouli, blood musk, white lavender, opium tar, and black orchid.

Cold eyelids that hide like a jewel

Hard eyes that grow soft for an hour;

The heavy white limbs, and the cruel

Red mouth like a venomous flower;

When these are gone by with their glories,

What shall rest of thee then, what remain,

O mystic and sombre Dolores,

Our Lady of Pain?

I wrote this review under the original and copied and pasted it here.

My bottles arrived two days ago. The original became my favorite, tied with The Mysterious Warning, from the first moment I tried it, fresh out of the mail, in 2013. I was so excited to be able to wear it again! 

This isn't it. 😪 This is nice, but only vaguely similar to the original because of the notes. The original slaps me in the face with patchouli and opium tar, some lavender and black orchid and dried down to a strong, beautifully blended version of those notes: it was a virtuoso. This? The notes are there, but in a different formula. The patchouli is barely there, there's a hint of lavender and maybe orchid if I try really hard to find it. The dry down is a hint of patchouli with a really light, but beautiful opium tar note. I would love any combination of these notes (and do), but for the folks who remember, loved and were hoping for the original: this is not even close to the same. I will compare this to the disappointment of the Dorian reformulation- it's very nice, but a completely different scent.

Eta April 15- there's a mildly honeyed soapy quality to this now. I don't like where this is going. Nothing like the original and yes, I remember what it smelled like the day I first put it on, and many wears after that. The aging has nothing to do with the differences here, this is just a completely different scent.

Edited by HerbGirl

I sadly have to agree with Herbgirl. I put OG Lady of Pain on one wrist this morning with the 24 version on the other. Completely different scents to me. And I’m not sure aging will help. I’m not getting patchouli at all from the new. I feel like several notes are just…missing? I *think* what I’m getting is just the lavender & perhaps a little orchid? It’s very faint and is nothing like the original to me. 💔💔

Very sad.

Edited by ladyjc

Gonna have to disagree with the above. I still have a decant of OLOP and this new patchouli is much smoother and less hippie smelling but definitely present. The OG decant patchouli got gnarly in its old age so if you're hoping for that I'd set this aside for, I dunno, a decade.

To review the scent actually in front of me, all the listed notes are balanced and shockingly this is one scent that I enjoy the blood musk accord in. The opium and orchid hit similar to Event Horizon but the patchouli base and almost mentholic white lavender take it in a "colder" direction. Very much the scent of the somber, sensual, cold Dolores - this is high goth in a way that doesn't feel done to death. Dark but still airy and atmospheric.

This is really really lovely. It’s definitely A sheer purple and black perfume- perhaps a dash of red like a bruise. The lavender is present but very docile on me. She bats her eyelashes coyly and slinks around her partners- an ephemeral glimmering opium tar, the strong sensual blood musk, patchouli that may only be described as smelling “expensive” and the black orchid- who lends a much needed floral lilt on the trail end of things. These 5 are all key players in bed. I want to Do me. 

I’d say I’m speechless, but clearly I’m not as I’ve waxed poetic here. This is an almost penitent sexy. Something reserved and very designer- refined, but also so sexy and vampish. Heart eyes, Swoon, Sigh. 

Aloof and alluring, a cool, bitter metallic shiver, like poison painting the tip of a small curved blade; musk and throbbing darkness, like psychic muscles cramped around the remembrance of a wound. The scent of duels lost, blood on the ground, moonlight elegies–all impressively tragic stuff, outrageous melodramas played out on the stage of one’s own mind…as is the wont of those of us who are really good at hurting our own feelings. Our Lady Of Pain is the most beautiful, most diabolical of Mean Girls…but as they say, the calls are coming from inside the house. 

Classic vintage glam; a 1930's starlet that collapses into a heart of powdery purple candy above a sharp, musky base.  Not what I was expecting, hoped for or needed. The patchouli runs away and I'm left with what I consider a classic musk and a powdery heart (a distant distant cousin to Coriandre).  My chic, always fashion-conscious grandmother would have bought this from the Simpson's (Sears Roebuck) perfume counter in 1955.  That's not a bad thing, but it's not a thing I need to add to my collection.

I would SLAY to smell the original, as clearly this isn't it.