Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A chilly interpretation of BPAL’s Snake Oil: sweet, spiced musk with a crunch of snow and frost-hardened patchouli.

Edited by Jenjin

I am pleased to report that this is quite an amazing mash up of Snake Oil and Snow White. No red musk weirdness, no minty slush. This is gorgeous and exactly what I hoped for! 

Maybe it's a bit early to be testing a Snake Oil blend, but here it is. Right away I can pick out the extra patchouli, though it blends. The patchouli may be stopping the red musk from stomping the snow. Frostbitten Snake seemed slushy, but this one has cold notes that are drier and fluffy white. It's at least similar to Snow White's snow. It's very nice, but then of course it would be if you like Snake Oil.

My decant needs to sit a bit and age, but this seems promising.

Edit: there's the slightest edge of clean fluffy laundry to this one. I'm liking it even more

Edited by patina

So glad I grabbed a bottle of this. Sniffing in the bottle, I get the wonderful S.O we all love. Not sure if it is the musk, but to me, it smells just like aged S.O. Very good. On my skin, the cold, snowy note comes out. I get the same Snow White impression but it has that S.O edge to it. Not musky on me either. This is so good and has a great throw. Might consider a BU bottle!! :) 

Smells like Snow White combined with my bottle of 2022 Snake Oil. There's a chilly element, too. There's a component that smells like cool, melty vanilla ice cream. The Snow White flowers meld with the musks and spices of Snake Oil, so it's mostly the sweet parts that I enjoy from Snow White.

I just got a decant of this because last year's Snow Snake was a red musk bomb, but this is more like the Snow White/Snake Oil combo I was imagining. I'm definitely thinking about upgrading to a bottle. It's really nice!

I have a couple decants of Snow Snake '22 and regretted not full bottling it, so I was hoping that Snow Snake 2023 would be pretty much the same.  It is unfortunately (for me) not the same, and I do prefer the '22, but I still like this year's version.  '22 was lots of red musk with hints of warm, earthy patchouli, sweet slush, and vanilla.  '23 is waaayyy more vanilla.  I think that a lot of people will love this one because of the amped up vanilla.

Snow Snake 2023 is tons of vanilla with a warm, almond-like undertone (not cherry almond, but warm almond cake?).  It threatens to veer into play-doh territory for the first few minutes, but the mid-stage is all creamy vanilla and that hint of warm almond cake.  It reminds me of other fragrances like Tom Ford's Vanilla Sex and LUSH's Butterball more than Snow White, oddly.  It takes about a half hour for the Snake Oil part to start bleeding through all of the vanilla, but I enjoy the fragrance a lot more when it does.  It's Snake Oil's slinky, dark muskiness, exotic perfume spices, and it's patchouli earthiness, with a warm vanilla added in and turned all the way up.  The Snake Oil gets stronger over the hours, but never completely overtakes the vanilla-y notes, and it's a really great fragrance.

I just wish I also had a full bottle of Snow Snake '22.