Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Pine and Evergreen goodness

So now that I have sampled Mistletoe and kicked myself thoroughly for not buying a bottle when I had a chance, I am wondering -- what from the permanent collection comes closest in pineyness? Black Forest has been my favorite evergreen so far but before I place my next order I was trying to decide if I should take the plunge and try some other pines/evergreens as well. I'm looking for something where that is the overwhelmingly dominant note.

Edited by ivyandpeony
title tweak to help searches

I like Hemlock. I think it bothers some folks--makes them sneezy. But that's what I wore before my yule LE's arrived--nice & coniferous!

Oh yes! I should have mentioned that I love Hemlock! :P I wasn't sure what to expect from that based on the description, either, what a nice surprise it was!

if you can do lemon you can try Val Sans Retour, it's not released yet, but I know it pops up in swaps every now and then.

I found it very piney, somewhat like a pine wreath you'd hang on your door.

Loup Garou is piney but has a strong eucalyptus note to it, but it's about the closest you're likely to get, methinks. :P

Mistletoe is pretty unique as far as I can tell. I've never found another BPAL oil that smells quite like it, other than say Skadi which smells like pine, berries and spice. :D

i'd recommend hemlock or if you wanted something lighter and prettier, skadi - it's my current favourite, but on me it's not too piney. good luck :P

Voodoo has pine, vanilla, and lime ~ I really love it, but be aware that it seems to be one of those love/hate scents. Maybe try just an imp for starters.

I do have Hemlock and Skadi, and they're wonderful! :D Whenever I wear Hemlock people ask me "Is that candy?" which really confuses me. I wonder what the sweetness is, in it.

I'd like to add more Skadi to my collection, if anyone has more than that know what to do with! :P It's probably my favorite oil of all in the bottle -- it fades pretty quickly on me, as does Mistletoe, but I could just inhale the bottle all day.

You know, that's odd. I didn't get pine from Dublin the last time I tried it...maybe it's time to give it a whirl again. :P

(I love pine, too.)

I'm waiting on some Jabberwocky to find out if that's got the pine that I'm looking for too...I know that's another one with strong eucalyptus but I like that too so that's ok! My bf hates eucalyptus but I'll just have to wear it when I go somewhere by myself, then! I think it would add to the deep dark woods feel that I like.

Voodoo's pine, vanilla and lime sounds really weird. But I also love lime, sooo...who knows!

I, too, got the pine thing going on with Hemlock. I love the forest-y smell of Dublin, but I think its a soft, wet forest smell. Not sure it would satisfy the desire of someone specifially asking for pine. I haven't tried either, but sounds like Black Forest or Thanatopsis might do the trick.

You know, that's odd.  I didn't get pine from Dublin the last time I tried it...maybe it's time to give it a whirl again. :P

(I love pine, too.)

Ah, that's the one that I was about to recommend! Glad you're trying it. If you don't mind a scent that is a little bit masculine you might also want to give Nero and Golden Priapus a try. I love Nero, though I use it mostly as a room scent (the bay, though delicious, makes it just a wee bit manly). Golden priapus is a velvety pine scent.

Black Forest is by far my favorite pine scent though.

Edited: Whoops, I hit quote on the wrong person. I actually meant Jabberwocky, not Dublin. Interesting...I don't get much pine from Dublin. I get more of a sweet rotting leaf scent.

Edited by brownbat

My list of piney scents includes Jabberwocky (definite eucalyptus, but so, so good!), Old Dublin, and Black Forest. It seems like Beth tends to use pine and sharp greenery smells for the Yule LEs more than anything.

Dracul is heavy on the fir and balsam - it's gorgeous. Great outdoors, but a different sort of forest. Might be worth a try, though.

It's too bad the single notes have been discontinued. The white pine bark was amazing, and probably just what you were looking for. :P I know, that wasn't a lot of help, but you never know if someone has an imp of it they'd swap you for. Never hurts to put it on the Wanted lists.

OK I just tried Loup Garou courtesy of VorpalBunny and I LOVE it. This is just what the doctor ordered! It's just like Black Forest, without the amber -- and I love amber, and plan to get a bottle of that too, but after a little while Black Forest turns ALL amber on me and I'd like to keep the pine going for awhile...

I have a bottle of Dracul on order, I am fascinated by that scent. It's so multilayered. I think the smokiness is what sold me on that one!

So, I just have to try Dublin now. I have some Jabberwocky on the way in imp form so I'll get to try that, too.

Anyone got any Dublin to trade or sell?? :D In the meantime, I'm putting Loup Garou on my 5 ml order list...I have to try to get an order in before the next update, or I'll wind up replacing all my old wants with NEW wants before I ever order the old ones.

Such great recommendations from everyone -- thanks!! I hope my pine mania lasts into the spring! :P

Okay, I retract my last statement about Dublin. :D

The last time I tried it I tried the prototype, which is apparently vastly different than the currently available formulation. The new one smells (honest to God) so close to Skadi that I almost can't tell them apart on my skin. :P

I am a pine fiend, so here are some of my recs (full list of things I've tried, I realize you've tried some of them, too):

Jabberwocky

Loup Garou

Hemlock

Black Forest

Thanatopsis

Undertow

Mistletoe

I have to retry Golden Priapus. When I tried it I was on some medication that made most non-resin BPALs smell really weird and unappetizing.

I love pine and fir! Sadly The Black Forest doesn't work well for me. It turns powdery and seems to clash with my skin a little bit.

However, I think Knecht Ruprecht (the snow-covered foliage of the Black Forest and the fruit and woods of apple and almond trees) is tragically under-appreciated, but on the upside it's not too hard to find. I'm wearing it right now and it works much better for me than Black Forest or Nocnitsa (which I have nothing against, except it's just a tad too juicy-fruity for me for some reason).

Stranger In Camp (evergreen, damp grass, woodsmoke, birch bark, cedar, and Terebinth pine) is the one. That is the most beautiful, brooding, night-time pine/fir scent that I've encountered. Just like a sinister forest at night with fire in the distance. Not a wintery scent....this is more like the woods in spring or summer. It was one of my most gratifying bpal purchases and I cherish my bottle!

wow, it's my old pine post!

Hexennacht 2008 is the newest entry for me in the pine happiness category.

Joining the newest Capricorn (as mentioned before) and I think Jersey Devil and Troll as having that particular pitch pine note. Mmm.

knecht ruprecht is awesome as is capricorn.

i'm also an old moon, moon of ice and hexennacht lover.

thanatopsis is good for general catalog pininess (i'm getting a bottle in my next order).

I didn't see anyone mention Nocnitsa.... lightless fir wood, nighttime air, wet forest mosses and upturned earth. There is a surprising sweetness to this blend when worn in a scent locket, but it's all fir on my skin. Both are absolutely delectable!

Burial is my favorite piney scent. It's got a dirt element that makes it more like the pine needles carpeting the forest floor.

I just got Thanatopsis as a freebie from the lab and was pleasantly surprised by it. It smells a lot like a pine forest at night. I think it's going to be a great scent for fall and winter (especially since I have to avoid a lot of the usual winter blends because the snow/ice notes are such a disaster on me).

Jabberwocky's my number one pine love. Wolf Moon and Old Moon probably come next and are both totally totally gorgeous.

Hexennacht '08 is absolutely gorgeous on me, but pretty light on the fir goodness. Also, believe it or not, Moon of Ice isn't terribly pine-y to me.