Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
SophieCedar

The Bones of Capys

Now Caesars approaching murder was foretold to him by unmistakable signs. A few months before, when the settlers assigned to the colony at Capua by the Julian Law were demolishing some tombs of great antiquity, to build country houses, and plied their work with the greater vigor because as they rummaged about they found a quantity of vases of ancient workmanship, there was discovered in a tomb, which was said to be that of Capys, the founder of Capua, a bronze tablet, inscribed with Greek words and characters to this effect:

Whenever the bones of Capys shall be discovered, it will come to pass that a descendant of his shall be slain at the hands of his kindred, and presently avenged at heavy cost to Italy.
Suetonius

King mandarin, bronze tobacco, white sandalwood, and chamomile.
Hoouuuulllyyy moouuulllly. This is perfect for me! The mandarin is sweet, not too tart/acidic, bronze tobacco just GLOWS, white sandalwood gives a touch of dry incense and chamomile is a devious little joyful ninja in the background. Color impression is shiny dark orange. Perfect! Orange is my favorite color. It amps like crazy, which is nice...I mean with the power and notes cascade of a lush perfume...but it actually reminds me of Tokyo Milk's Bittersweet, minus the cake flour note.

Very glad I took the risk of buying a bottle blind. :wub2:

nooooo, keep Capiz's bones inside, where they belong! no hurt my friend!

er. i digress.

fruity!

almost like it could've been from the Tiki update from mumbledymumble years ago.

something reminds me of Lilith versus Giant Crab.

a masculiney creamsicley thing?

surprisingly wearable, though.

Oh man, this one is really interesting. It's a sweet mandarin note especially on wet on top of chamomile and tobacco. Whoever called this a masculine creamsicle sort of nailed. Deliciously delicious. Good throw and wear length.

I have a terrible memory and I thought I bought this for a lavender note, so I was very confused by the strong hit of orange I got when I stuck my nose in the bottle :wacko2:

Anyway, that hit of mandarin is beautiful, and it only improves on the skin when a creamy note appears (I'm guessing from the chamomile), and the sandalwood/tobacco lends a tiny hint of earthiness that prevents the scent being too sweet and girly.

A couple of hours later and the creamy sweetness has softened along with the mandarin, leaving a well-balanced mix of all the listed notes - it's still identifiably mandarin though, so for orange fans I'd say this is a must have.

This would be perfect to wear while drinking sangria on a terrace on a warm summer evening, but it's pretty darn good to wear in my living room on a cold and windy English night! I think a back-up bottle may be in order for me.

(I'll update with longevity comments when I've had a chance to wear it all day; I got it in a package this evening and didn't want to wait until morning to try it!)

Bright, juicy mandarin with a creamy, baby powdery white sandalwood and a hint of dry, herbal chamomile. I'm not smelling the tobacco at all, and the orange goes a little too sour/bitter on me in the drydown. It smells like I peeled an orange and got the bitter peel scent on my hands, then dusted them with baby powder.

Wet: WOW mandarin and tobacco are AMAZING together. My skin chemistry sometimes turns citrus icky (who am I kidding, almost ALWAYS turns it icky) but I really have my fingers crossed it works this time, because this is glorious. It smells like biting into a real orange, plus a slightly spicy tobacco note, like Bulgarian Tobacco, but not quite.

Dry: I am so happy I randomly got this decant! This is one of the most gorgeous tobacco notes I have smelled, and the orange is beautiful on me in this. For that alone, I need more!

Sweet mandarin, and I think I'm amping the chamomile. Fresh, white flowers with orange juice are what's coming to the forefront. The floral is not what I'd consider orangesicle masculine. As it warms up, during drydown, the tobacco comes out a bit more. The floral dries up, and the sandalwood goes a bit powdery. Still trying to decide how I feel about this.

This starts off as nothing but the mandarin on me, then slowly fades to a mostly chamomile/sandalwood blend. I don't think I smell the tobacco, but the remaining scent does have the warmth I associate with BPAL's tobacco blends, if that makes sense. The citrus still hangs around at the very end; it drifts in and out through the chamomile/sandalwood. A peculiar morpher, for me, since I usually amp tobacco, so I wasn't expecting it to go chamomile/sandalwood. I don't dislike it, exactly. Overall it's alright.