Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Ehon Tsuhi No Hinagata

Oakmoss, tonka bean, black amber, green tea, hinoki wood, mandarin peel, and wild plum.

Without rest, this one almost comes across as minty. I think it’s the hinoki / tonka / mandarin together. i’m not sure how i feel about it yet.

something about it reminds me of pleasure boat. will update more.

sweet but not in a candy way 

Thai sweet tea minus the ginger; what witchcraft is that? I recognize the oakmoss from Vivid Enjoyment of the Memory of Rupture (2018 Shunga that smells like Thai sweet tea WITH ginger), and also perhaps the same snuggly blend of tea and tonka bean, warm and cozy, from Black Ted (proper name Tonka Bean, Black Tea, & Vetiver). Oakmoss and hinoki wood could easily get really masculine really fast, or at least aggressive, yet Ehon Tsuhi stays calm, gently spiced, and richly sweet. A sensitive soul. Thank you, black amber.

Mandarin and plum are currently hiding. I'll be curious if they peek out with that twist of brighter/juicier fruit to give a different dimension to this blend. It is also possible that the mandarin peel is helping to give the illusion of ginger without being actual ginger. But to me, it's not a recognizably citrus note, not yet at least!

Even without any listed cream notes, Ehon Tsuhi is a really creamy (non-dairy) blend. A bit like a spiced tea, hot and steaming, with a rice milk creamer perhaps. Personally, I think the two blends I compared it to are enough to keep me happy, and Ehon does lean a little more unisex/masculine than them because of its prominent earthy oakmoss. But if you missed out on either of those or just love Black Ted a whole lot and want a variation on a theme, this would be a great one to try.

oakmoss at its best: plush, green, and earthy. this is why i can never write it off completely. there's a touch of woodiness to the moss that might be hinoki, but i'm not familiar enough with that note to distinguish it. green tea is a light but very true tea note, flirting with mint and citrus. plum gives the tea a very lightly fruity aspect, but this is not a particularly plummy blend. incidentally, plum is one of the notes that compelled me to try this, but i can't honestly say i wish it were more present, because this is deftly blended and well-balanced. 

as it settles in, amber and fuzzy tonka develop a sweet fullness to the composition. i think it would be so easy and expected for these more robust notes to dominate, but along with the oakmoss they provide a deeper, complex base for the fresher, lighter tea to skim across. there is a lovely push/pull between them that keeps the nose engaged. 

it's with true regret that i will probably eliminate this from my bottle-upgrade list. it's not me, but i would very much enjoy smelling it on someone else. well done! 

Woodsy citrus tea. The mandarin and green tea are the strongest on me. The amber and wood notes are just barely there, rounding out the scent, adding to the plant nature of the green tea. I'm also getting a minty quality to the green tea. As a whole, the scent is light, a little on the understated side for how much is going on. Overall, a mellow cup of green tea with mandarin, overlooking a nearby forest.

My sample arrived here last week and rested for 5 days. 

Another surprising and amazing scent. I love a good oakmoss scent. It's a bit sweet, but never cloying, a bit fruity and earthy. I'm sure both oakmoss and the tea note contribute to the earthiness I smell. 

For me it smells like a beautiful fruity chypre.