Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Cacao, Sweet Patchouli, Clove, and Green Cardamom

Dirty, green patchouli paired with dry clove is not a mix I thought I needed, but it is so good... not a lot of cacao or cardamom, it's reading as a sexy medley of clove patch. 

the patch in this is a dreamboat, earthy and sweet and delicious.  my eyes rolled back when i first sniffed it, and it demanded to be the first luper decant i sampled!

freshly applied, the clove and green cardamom come on strong.  i can't really break them apart, there's just a sharp, almost metallic spiciness.  don't expect that dry, kitchen spice rack cardamom, because this ain't that!  sharp spices like that are not often something i enjoy, but it's sufficiently tempered here by that gorg patchouli and a nice velvety, earthy cacao. i don't hate it, but i'm giving it the side-eye to see where it goes. 

before long the cacao does that thing it does on me, where it doesn't really smell like chocolate anymore and just adds to the earthy richness of the patch.  the clove and cardamom also settle in behind the patch, and from here on out it's smoooooth sailin'.  

as a patchouli fiend, i hereby endorse this product and/or service!

Edited by MamaMoth

This smelled so amazing when it arrived that I was sure that I'd want more of it.

But once I tested it after letting it settle for a few days, it was mostly clove and patch on me backed by cacao, but not as much cacao as I was hoping for (and not the blast of it I got from the decant when it initially arrived). The cardamom was very fleeting on me, but I feel like sometimes I amp clove, so that may be why (I'm fine with this, as I love clove). 

I'll keep the decant around for layering possibilities, but it's not something I need more of since I was hoping for more cacao with the spices and patch on my skin.

My favorite of this year's chocolates, and I almost didn't order this one because I figured I have enough patchouli and cocoa blends and I'm tired of cardamom in perfume.  I think that this one is a very sensual and grownup cocoa, though.  It's plush like fine cocoa powder, but has a little sweetness to it and isn't bitter, and the patchouli just rounds out the natural earthiness of the cocoa.  As it dries down, it smells like there's a tiny hint of caramel in it as well.  The clove and green cardamom meld together pretty seamlessly and I like the green cardamom more than the usual, overly sweet cardamom note.  The spices feel mellow and calming.  After a half hour, there's a little sweet smokiness in here as well, like smoked sweet clove.  The overall feel of the blend reminds me of Mayan Chocolate with Annatto Seed, Anaheim Pepper, Cinnamon and Vanilla Bean, and I've been missing that scent for the past couple years, so I'm happy to have this as a replacement.