Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Hell Is Empty and All the Devils Are Here

Griffith Park in the summertime: white sage and California live oak, sumac, walnut, and wild lilac, eucalyptus leaf, blue elderberry, California bush sunflower, century plant, California buckwheat, and sagebrush.

Oh man, I struggle being the first review (anxiety is such an asshole) but here we go. I blind bottled this because FOMO, although I tend to struggle a little bit with BPAL blends that have more than 10 notes. But this just sounded so perfect, a balance of green, woods, floral, maybe a little bit of fruit. And it is, indeed, gorgeous. Wet on the skin I get a lot of oak (I LOVE THE LAB'S OAK NOTE SO MUCH) backed by a lot of green stems and some lilac and eucalyptus. This is my favorite phase of the whole scent... seems like these notes would combine in a very off putting way, but they really don't. The eucalyptus used here is not nearly as medicinal and camphor heavy as, say eucalyptus essential oil, not at all. It feels like sticking your face in a eucalyptus plant and it is so calming. The lilac note is not BPAL's normal lilac note, it is much gentler and greener. Weirdly, I don't get any sage. As the scent dries, I get a faint dark fruitiness that must be from the elderberry. I would certainly not call this a fruity scent though, or a floral scent. It's very green at it's heart, and definitely conjures up the image of a sunny, warm day in the park. I have a pretty large collection at this point, but this scent is still unique enough to earn a place. 

Very green and gold smelling, and exactly like a warm summer hike. It throws a sage that’s very reminiscent of Western Diamondback, but when I go in for a closer sniff the sage is very faint and I mainly get eucalyptus, oak, and an overall wilderness scent that’s lightly sweetened by the elderberry and lilac. It’s a very California smell and I couldn’t resist blind buying a bottle just for that reason and I’m glad I did.