Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Green Cardamom, Oakmoss, and Patchouli

This immediately reminds me of Stung By The Cock Tree In Hell, so I assume it must be the same patchouli. It is loud, fuzzy, and unrepentantly masculine - a very Billy Butcher blend!  Oakmoss really takes the spotlight here, and the cardamom keeps it dry. I kind of wish it had a more sparkle - a ginger, citrus, or labdanum might be good layering options. I dabbed a little Hanksite Phoenix on it to see how that worked, and now I have Billy Butcher who bothered to put on some deodorant this morning. I don't think I could wear this on its own, but there is definite layering potential.

A classic men's cologne or aftershave type of scent and I really enjoy it.  It has a deep, vintage smelling oakmoss, spicy-sweet cardamom (clove-like on my skin in the drydown), and warm, dark, earthy, almost resinous, sticky patchouli.  A little of a soapy edge, but in that masculine aftershave way rather than a bar of soap or laundry soap impression.  I feel like this is very similar to a men's fragrance that was popular when I was little (Drakkar Noir, maybe?).  

Agree that the moss/patch combo calls back to Stung by the Cock Tree. That one is pricklier (pardon) and spicier than this one, but both have admirable throw and weartime. A wonderful gender neutral option that skews towards traditionally masculine. 

First Sniff: Musk and patchouli.

Initial Wet Application: This is very masculine: I’ve not had luck with oakmoss and patchouli in the past, but we’ll see how this goes.

Dry Down (first 15 minutes): This toned down after it completed the dry down, but mostly stayed the same. It’s patchouli, but a calmer version than I’ve had before. 

My Reaction: It reminds me of a fancy soap for men that wants you to think it’s wild forest and woodsy. It’s pleasant, but too masculine for me. This might smell nice on the hubby though.

Rating: 2