Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
biggest_ghost

Masculine orris

Hey, all!

After getting a decant of Leaden Fog, orris has become my newest scent obsession. However, it seems like most of the orris scents BPAL provides are combined with floral scents. While I'm sure they smell lovely, I'd like to find something a little more traditionally masculine.

(For the record, Leaden Fog is essentially all orris on me; no smoke, only a hint of sandalwood. I'm noticing that my skin tends to amp these vegetal kinds of scents -- vetiver is another one that takes over every perfume on me, much to my delight.)

Ideally I'm looking for something I can get an imp of first to test, but I understand that there's a limited amount of the catalogue that'll apply to. I'm not opposed at all to hunting down decants or partials from friendly forumites. Any advice?

I'm not sure if orris and iris are the same thing in BPAL world, but Nevertheless She Persisted (golden oudh, frankincense, iris, and steel) from the Activism series is still available on the web site and is decidedly masculine-leaning. You would have to be OK with stinky p'oud though.

You might be able to find a decant to test of Autumn Song from the recent Weenies:  oak dust, violet leaf, orris root, white benzoin, vetiver, and dry ambrette seed.

Edited by hhelix

I'm pretty sure I get orris from The White Rider even though it's not in the notes (White leather and sandalwood ). Might be worth hunting down an imp!

On 3/19/2022 at 12:03 PM, biggest_ghost said:

Hey, all!

After getting a decant of Leaden Fog, orris has become my newest scent obsession. However, it seems like most of the orris scents BPAL provides are combined with floral scents. While I'm sure they smell lovely, I'd like to find something a little more traditionally masculine.

(For the record, Leaden Fog is essentially all orris on me; no smoke, only a hint of sandalwood. I'm noticing that my skin tends to amp these vegetal kinds of scents -- vetiver is another one that takes over every perfume on me, much to my delight.)

Ideally I'm looking for something I can get an imp of first to test, but I understand that there's a limited amount of the catalogue that'll apply to. I'm not opposed at all to hunting down decants or partials from friendly forumites. Any advice?

Look for "Mythological Scene, with a Warrior Addressing a Lady Outside a Classical Mansion, Two Maidens Riding Unicorns Behind." It's a really lovely, masculine leaning perfume from the Unicorn release about four years ago, but I think I've seen it up on the sales/swaps pages once or twice. Florentine orris butter, red sandalwood, white patchouli, leather accord, and ambrette musk with a drifting eddy of King mandarin, wild bergamot, bourbon vanilla, and gold-limned saffron

Another one you might try is Row of Trees from this year's Lupers. You might be able to hop on a decant circle and get a decant, or keep an eye on the swaps pages for folks who weren't impressed with their decants.  An ethereal, dewy blend of juniper berries, lavender absolute, orris root, frankincense, spikenard, and bergamot.

Leaden Fog is another Limited Edition that's still available that might be worth looking into. Might have vetiver in it though as the "charred" note, so read reviews.  

Socrates and King Cobra are always available on the site, but you'll have to hunt swaps if you want a decant first.  Brown Jenkins is he only GC scent I can think of that might read semi-masculine.  It's very nice and snuggly.  :)  Also, it seems like some of the lab's scents that have "bone" as a descriptor use orris, so you might keep an eye out for that.  I'd wager Yorick has unlisted orris in it.  

Old Moon 2022 smells sort of unisex to me but might work on a man.  Oddly, it has a leathery vibe to it.

ETA: LOL.  Just realized you'd tried Leaden Fog.  😄 Dur.  Well, at least I'm in the vicinity of the right track.  ;)

Edited by VetchVesper