Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Everything points to this likely being my favorite BPAL perfume of all time. And likely Mr. Heidi's as well.

Is there anything close to it that I've overlooked? I like Jack, but it's not 'the one' I was looking for. And believe me, I love all things pumpkin and all things Autumn.

Now that I'm writing this, I'm wondering if I should have put this under Recommendations.

Has BPAL ever resurrected discontinued perfumes? Oooh, maybe I should ask to have this as a custom blend when things settle down at the Lab?

Rambling, as usual,

Heidi

Edit: moving this to recommendations Heidi. :P -- s.violet

Mod note - Poster was referring to Samhain; when title of thread changed we lost that part. ivyandpeony

samhain was their first limited edition, so the short answer is: all we can do is wait and see.

but you should ask them if they have any left, i don't remember if g. poppet sold out.

Old Athens had the same wafting honeysuckle/floral sort of smell that Red Moon has on me - maybe layer it with some Dragon's Blood to get that reddish Red Moon undercurrent?

I've not had the chance to try it yet, but Dragon's Heart sounds similar in "mood" to Red Moon. Dragon's Bone smells similar, but is drier and less sweet. Personally, I think (with my chemistry, anyway) Dragon's Bone layered with single note Chamomile and Orange would come out smelling very similar to Red Moon.

Other scents I found by searching Red Moon's notes that might work (especially in some combination of layering with Dragon's Blood) are Cancer and Hunger.

Just to throw this out there -- I've tried both Dragon's Heart and Red Moon, and the main difference is that while Red Moon is a very physically powerful scent (in mood), it's still very ethereal and magical smelling. A very strong floral. Dragon's Heart is like wood. Pure, heavy, musky, dark wood. Very heavy, sweet, and powerful. Between the two, Red Moon is the orangey/red glint of sunset and Dragon's Heart is a smoldering bit of coal. If that helps distinguish at all...

I recently won Rose Red in the Lab's E-Bay auction (unsniffed) and I love it. For the people who know it, could you recommend the most similar BPAL oil? I have tried many rose oils from BPAL (my favourite is Old London) but nothing that I know of compares to Rose Red. I was even thinking of getting the Rose single note. Does anybody know this one? There are no reviews!

With my chemistry, the closest I've tried so far has been Moon Rose, which isn't as cold a rose, but it's similarly bright.

Hi, no, what I was trying to say (obviously not very clearly) is that there are no reviews of the Rose single note... I was wondering if anyone has tried it, and whether it is similar to Rose Red.

Mrs. Black,

Sorry, I am new to the oils, and my nose is no good, but I had to add my two cents as I have tried both Rose Red and the Rose single note. I have an imp of both, and while I absolutely adore Rose Red and am so sad it's not available anymore, I can't say the single note is like it. Not with my body chemistry anyway. The single note Rose is closer to for example Persephone. It doesn't have that chilly green crispiness of Rose Red. Which is really a shame, I've been searching for the perfect rose scent, too, and Rose Red has been the only rose to work with my chemistry. I love it. The worst has been Pride, which turned promptly into pee smell. Ugh.

Here's hoping Beth would resurrect Rose Red for this Yule...

This is probably not totally on point, but there is a fresh green note that shows up in the tarot oil, Strength, that reminds me of the initial cold, fresh green note in Rose Red (oceandessa let me try hers!). I love that - like walking into a cold room full of wet, red roses.

What if you layered Strength and Persephone? Ack maybe not.

Hey! I joined the BPAL harem too late to buy a bottle of Mabon, but Belladonnastrap was lovely enough to send a little imp my way of it. It's so lovely-- I love the blackberry and ivy notes.

After I have a decent payday on Nov. 10th, I want to buy a 5ml of the next best thing, since I haven't seen many bottles of Mabon up for sale-- are there any scents that remind you of BPAL's Mabon?

Eh...I'm not sure that there really is anything that close to Mabon. Old Glasgow is nice and berryish, but it's missing that apple/cidery scent. And Hesperides is great, but it's missing the berry scent. And none of them really have that ivy scent.

perhaps layering the two of them together then wouldn't be a bad option? i haven't yet smelled any of the three (got mabon on the way, though), so i don't know that it'd be even close.

I'm never regretted splurging on the Blue Moon lunacy oil over the summer. It is unlike any other scent I've tried. I have no nose for identifying scents, but I love the watery, utterly clear notes, the way it's sweet without being floral. It's clean without being too light and wimpy.

Would anyone recommend any other BPAL scents that are similar to Blue Moon?

Empyreal Mist and Danube, while having clearly different notes, both have a very similar feel to Blue Moon.

In my opinion, Dissipation and Unseelie both seem very similar to Blue Moon (I think all three probably share a poppy note).

Dissipation (which unfortunately is discontinued I believe) reminds me of Blue Moon. It's a little more substantial though. I like it.

I surprised myself by really loving this scent [king of spades]. I didn't think I liked fruity smells, but I think it's the musk in this that makes it soooo delicious. I have one imp which I'm hoarding. Is there anything similar?

Thanks! :P

Sheila