Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

The Antikythera Pumpkin

Hey! I guess I'll be first on this one. I'm not very experienced at this, but I saw that someone wanted a review so I thought I'd help if I could.

I'll be comparing a bottle of regular Antikythera I bought just before weenies dropped and these have both been rested over a week.

Antikythera Pumpkin:

Bottle: Woody, a little spicy, and some vanilla 

Wet: Still Woody, spicier than in the bottle (quite spicy compared to regular), and something is rounding out things but not quite enough yet. It's not creamy or vanilla-y

Dry: The spice is settling down to be a better team player. IF you sniff well and you know what you're looking for you can smell the very specific Antikythera tone here. This has really great potential and is at least good now if you can tolerate spice.

Antikythera Mechanism:

Bottle: Woody Goodness

Wet: Oh wow contrasting them this has NO spice, Woody, Something indefinably Antikythera is more noticeable here than pumpkin

Dry: The Antikythera quality is more forward here than the wood, but it's like an underpowered version of what it could be. Wearable unaged, but completely underrepresents its final form.

Fresh Does not come anywhere close to the glory of aged for Antikythera- I have a MUCH beloved sample that is of unknown age that is this the Stronger Richer Hot Older Cousin of either of these. Basically take whatever you smell and triple intensify the vibe.  When I shoved my two wrists together and took a big wiff, it was marvelous and I think an indicator of what Pumpkin could grow up to be like. I will probably unashamedly buy a second bottle for that.

Freshly applied, Antikythera Pumpkin gives off a lot of lacquer -- almost a chemical varnish smell -- and some greasy oil over abundant wood. There's a spicy texture to the blend, alongside its dark oil, but the woods and lacquer stand out most strongly. Hints of black vanilla lurk underneath, but this isn't a vanilla blend in the main.

In this dries, the chemical quality calms down and leaves the lovely wood.

What I'm not getting a lot of is pumpkin. There's a pumpkin spice texture but little pumpkin. Still, if you enjoy Antikythera this is worth a try, and it may age well.

Wood, spices, and a whiff of pumpkin. This is basically Antikythera Mechanism with more spices. If you ever wanted AM to be spicier, give this a whirl. Good throw and wear length.

I think it's time to admit the pumpkin note is not my absolute best as I have had little luck. The pumpkin offerings this year were no different. Here, it goes chemical, then vegetal pumpkin + wet cigarette paper + AM. 

The good news is, AM is prominent, and aging + wear time help it gather it's strength. It fairs far better than Pumpkin Spice AM, which went indolic, so I will hold on to the decant just in case, because as Elysian above says, AM only gets richer. 

If you love Lab pumpkin and love AM more, this may be your jam. I'll be sticking with regular old AM and keeping an eye out for other iterations. 

I put this on initially, thought "cool, pumpkiny wood", and didn't think much of it afterwards apart from "nice skin scent". However, after I woke up from a nap, I found myself bewildered by the most BEAUTIFUL vanilla-tobacco smell with a light pumpkin overtone. A morpher for sure and a pleasant surprise! I may have to track down more of this.