Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Cruising Through Bedlam

"An oil for tricksters, an oil for gamblers, an oil of survival. It is an oil for David, not Goliath; Cruising Through Bedlam contains mace, nutmeg, cloves, mastic, lemongrass, wild bergamot, dill, caraway, peppermint, star anise, and coffee bean."

skin scent: citrus, spices, dark. reminds me of a yule

energetically: I work in a highly chaotic and intense industry, one that sounds more staid and balanced on paper than what often works out. Things go sideways so frequently I almost function better in high chaos than 'normal' calm days because I don't know how to just...move forward in a calm manner. 2020 threw us specific challenges and changes that caused a near 180 shifts in some situations.

When I pull energy, and it really gets moving, I sometimes laugh, and this gives me that feeling. it's like being on a roller coaster or a haunted house. It definitely feels like a boost in energetic movement, but in a very calculated way. This feels like one of the darker TALs I've worked with, though that's certainly not a negative and definitely has its place in my box.

Scent-wise, this starts out as a mix of citrus and resins, then settles to a sort of spiced coffee scent, with star anise being the most prominent of said spices. If you're interested in intent/energy on this one, I don't feel as qualified to speak to that, but I chose to wear this on what's currently my most chaotic/busy day of the work week. I did feel like I was handling things a little more easily, not in a relaxed way, but more in a riding-the-wave sort of way.

So, I feel I haven't been approaching TAL scents properly. I haven't used them for ritual purposes, but I can speak to the scent and how it made me feel, which apparently is spot-on for its intention. Tested from a decant that rested a few days.

Husband and I both instantly felt this a precise, familiar smell. Bitters! Like you'd put in a cocktail. Specifically, and old fashioned, which I love the smell of, but the bitters taste in this cocktail is usually too strong for me, astringent and waxy. But I love the smell! Old fashioned with an orange twist. The dry bitter spicy mace stands out, followed by anise.

Even more precisely, this reminded me of a bar we used to haunt when living in Miami, which was a really weird time for us. Our grad program was amazing, but the rest of the city was very very not-us. But this old, dim, slightly grimy, old-timers bar with wrap-around wooden bar top was a haven for us to feel in our element for a moment and to plot the course of our uncertain futures, to feel like it was OK we didn't play the rat race, because there was another way of getting where we wanted to go. This scent is incredibly comforting and grounding for me, makes me feel like I know myself and my strengths, and that swimming upstream is my fate but also a key to my success and happiness.

Very thankful to have this tool handy when I need a reminder.

Lemongrass and a dash of anise in the bottle. Goes on as VERY strong lemongrass, holy fuck. I feel like I fell into a bottle of Swarm Attractor. As it dries, the lemongrass calms down a little and a strong licorice emerges. These two notes continue to cycle once it’s fully dry. Absolutely no other notes.

If the two would combine and not alternate, this would be an awesome "get up and go" scent. The lemongrass is a little too harsh on its own without the licorice to sweeten it. Definitely invigorating.