Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Hey guys, I'm still new to BPAL and I have been exploring with a few scents, I purchased the Vanilla Imp Pack thinking the scents would be a good neutral starter pack. Since my purchase I have learned that I don't do well with amber or musk in scents which is unfortunate since more than half of the scents from the Vanilla Imp Pack had both of those in their mixtures. Now I am looking to try something new. I really like sweet scents like water lily, lilac, rose, wisteria, plum, caramel, vanilla, currants, jasmine, and honeysuckle. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for new scents to try based on what I like scent wise. There are so many to choose from and since neither the individual scents or imps are cheap I wanted to get a better idea of what everyone thought before I made a purchase. If you have any suggestions please reply.

Edited by SilverInkAndStardust

You might enjoy Eostre of the Dawn ("jasmine and honeysuckle, sweet milk and female skin"), which is one of my favorite honeysuckle scents even though jasmine usually doesn't work for me. It doesn't come in imp size from the Lab unfortunately, but there are usually some decants available in the sales section here. 

For water lily, I really like The Lady of Shalott ("calm waters just before a raging storm, limned with achingly-beautiful blooms, an icy scent, but somehow warm, and mirror-bright: bold gardenia, crystalline musk, muguet, water blossoms, clear, slightly tart aquatic notes and a crush of white ginger"), if you don't mind a bit of an aquatic vibe. This one is general catalogue and available in imps, at least! 

Hi @SilverInkAndStardust  Welcome to the forum.  :smile:  I'd highly recommend you check out Alice, Knave of Hearts, Twilight, Dragon's Milk, Defutata, and Shoggoth (I know it's got musk and amber in there, but if the other notes sound appealing, I'd still try it.  There's a LOT going on in there.) 

Florals with notes you like are - Two, Five, & Seven (fruity rose), Snooty Rose (powdery plum rose), Blood Rose (sweet rose), London (strait up tea rose), Black Lily (I adore this one), Shanghai (fresh, lemony honeysuckle) New Orleans (lush jasmine-heavy floral), Delight (sweet, sumptuous, rosey floral), Maiden (light, sweet, and a touch spicey), Les Fleurs du Mal (very much a classic floral), Viola (another classic floral with a touch of somber mossiness) and Seraphim (a gently incensey rose floral)  Lady of Shallot is also lovely.  If you can do aquatics and lily of the valley, you might also try Sea of Glass.  If you like violet at all you might try Sybaris.  It's almost a foody violet, with a clove spice.  It's unusual, and I think, beautiful. You might also enjoy the fruity currant in Anteros.  

Keep in mind, if you order six imps, the Lab throws two in for free.  They're random, but I've found some of my favorites that way.  You can also find good prices on 2nd hand decants in the sales thread on this forum.  It's a great way to try out a lot without spending a fortune.  I'd also say, the Lab uses a variety of different musks, so don't disregard them all quite yet.  Some of them might work for you, while others don't.  For example, I ADORE red musk, but white musk can go kinda screechy and soapy on me.  Anywho, happy sniffing! 

For a sweet fruity floral, try Titania (A nocturnal bounty of fae dew-kissed petals and pale fruits: white grape, white peach, iced pear, musk rose, sweet pea, moonflower and snapdragon). Super strong & very pretty.

Miskatonic University (The scent of Irish coffee, dusty tomes and polished oakwood halls) was purely caramel on me.

Edited by alterosen

impable:

High Strung Daisies is a sugary spicy carnation,

Chimera is like Cinnabon in a bottle I looove it in the fall

Persephone is juicy pomegranate and rose

Bliss is pure milk chocolate

Bon Vivant is realistic champagne with sweet strawberry

Jezebel is a super sweet honey/rose/orange blossom

I also second Titania and Dragons Milk!

Not impable:

Hope and Faith from the Carnival Diabolique are sugared rose and violet respectively, but not impable, and only sold together,  

TKO is also not impable, but is a super popular marshmallow lavender,

Melisandre the Puppet Mistress is my favourite jasmine of all time, very purple-sweet.

I also love Eostre of the Dawn, it’s so sweet and creamy.