Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Blue Lotus, Violet Petals & Orris Concrete

I nearly missed this, glad I checked Facebook after seeing Beth's NOT EVERY MOON IS A SUPERMOON (Karen) post.  Thank goodness!

I was like ah.  Many of my favorite notes all together?  Into the cart.

I have some infused jojoba oil with Blue Lotus, as the EO itself is rare and precious - this is from Nature's Gift and was an oil extraction of the lotus petals.  I can smell the slightly funky, cold, but also deeply sweet aroma of lotus.  It's hard to describe, but to me, the lotus absolutes have a slightly... deep, almost rubbery (but not in a bad way!) note, which is blended with a very intriguing, hypnotic... otherness.  It has always straddled the line between striking and stunning, like push/pull, slightly repellant but so much so that you have interest in still smelling.  Sort of like my relationship with mugwort, except lotus on me goes to sublime hypnotic background of smooth, soft-spoken floral on me.  

As the blend dries, I get a bit more of the sweeter topnote of violet petals.  Though, if you waved this at me description unseen, I would not describe this as violet primary (slightly sad, but also, super glad this reads as more lotus forward without being bubblegum lotus).  If there is orris it is providing a very subtle dustiness in the backdrop, but is also not overriding the lotus.  I have been a staunch collector of Blue Moons, and though they vary, I think many have blue lotus, and I absolutely love how it remains discoverable even with repeated wrist snorfling.

I admit... I blind bought a few.  If you love lotus, with a hint of a deep blue-purple cloud of florals supporting, please to get this blend.

Violet and blue lotus. Honestly, this a sweet melancholic blend that makes me think of Silence, the long ago discontinued Salon. Whereas Silence had that blue musk which is glittery, both the violet and orris make it more soft and slightly powdery. Blue lotus, unlike other lotus notes, does not go wildly like bubblegum on me, but rather again seems more like a kissing cousin to the blue musk in Silence. 

So, to me, this is like a violet version of Silence. Honestly, it sort of takes you on a trip to Italy in the evening. There's something Old World and otherworldly about this.

Violets, contemplative, starry sky in deep purple and lavender tones. Medium throw, low wear length. 

Watery without being aquatic. Gentle and luminous with the soft quality often found in lunar blends. Very pretty and serene. Definitely violet LEAF as opposed to the flower. Not sure what I would add this too, but it's beautiful by itself. 

This one starts off as a soft, watery, purple floral. Once it's on, the orris comes out in a big way, blending with the violet and mostly overtaking the lotus. The end result is a powdery, orris-heavy violet. A little too powdery for me, but I'll keep the decant for when I want this kind of subdued floral.