Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Imperious Three-Headed Dragon in a Jaunty Blue Coat

Hmmmm... Different balance of notes than I was expecting, but interesting.  I get a blast of sugary blueberry up front, reminiscent of the sufganiyot blend.  The sugar dies down and the fragrance becomes  muskier, and slightly earthy.  I'm not getting a licorice note, which is unfortunate.  It's one of the reasons Jaunty Blue Coat garnered my interest.  Jasmine sambac becomes more prominent as this dries down, blending it's heady sweetness with the sugary berries, keeping things very sweet, but also complex.  The amber and musk are minor players, just giving the perfume some grounding.  

I just got this yesterday, and it's a complex enough fragrance, it probably needs to sit a while to come into it's own, so I'll reserve judgement.  I would say, if you like the lab's blueberry/berry note a lot, this is one worth checking out.  If you don't like jasmine, you might want to pass.

ETA:  I ended up trading this one to my friend for Dragon Squad, which I frick'n love.  Jaunty Blue Coat stayed very sweet on me, with the berries and the jasmine most prominent.  On her it smells like blue raspberry fruit roll ups.  She loves it as a happy, nostalgic, comfort scent, and it is very fun and fills the room when she puts it on.  A happy trade for both of us!

Edited by VetchVesper

This Imperious Three-Headed Dragon is quite reminiscent of Luna Azul 2018, but darker, syrupier. I’m getting strong black amber and sweet berries up front, then the jasmine kicks in and there’s a dance between these notes that is held by the black musk around the edges. It’s not until later in the drydown that I really detect licorice (just a hint), and I realize it lends some of the deep sweetness to the berries.

Luna Azul is one of the few berry scents I really enjoy, and this is more complex and last longer in its darker way. LA often turns a little powdery or fades more quickly than I wish. I’ll be on the lookout for anyone who wishes to swap a bottle! 

Dark blackberries, amber, and a whiff of jasmine. If you like dark, syrupy berry blends, give this a whirl. Good throw and wear length.

This one started off strong on the blueberry note on me, followed by the blackberry note, and then the black musk and jasmine. It's very fruity, with the berries darkened by the other notes. The jasmine and musk combo in the background are heady and also somewhat powdery on me. The licorice root, while present, isn't overly licorice-y, and while I'm not getting much of the black amber, I wonder if it is joining the musk in the background and contributing to the powderiness I'm getting beneath the fruit notes.

This one isn't really in my wheelhouse, but it was nice to get a chance to try it. I would recommend this to someone looking for a dark berry type of scent.