Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Belladonnastrap

Patchouli and Vetiver

Ooh boy. Filthy is a good word for this. Both notes smell like they have some age on them - they're strong, but they're not sharp, and masterfully blended. The vetiver is by far the dominant note in both the bottle and the skin, and it's rich with slight hint of dark vegetation. The patchouli holds it down and smooths it out. 

If you don't like vetiver, this won't change your mind - it's not swampy or scorched, but it's still definitive and forceful. It's about as Dirty Hippie as you can get without sandalwood.

Strong sharp patchouli and vetiver....

Wait.

I'm getting glimmers of Capricorn 2004. Which is my favorite patchouli blend ever.

WHY HELLO THERE STRANGER.

Yes, yes, I would like to know you better.

*goes off to find more*

In the imp: A dark, musty-dusty, feral scent. Occasional hints of burning-rubber vetiver, but the almost syrupy or sticky patchouli is dominant.

Wet: I almost thought mesquite or some other barbecue-adjacent scent when it first hit my skin; it's that smoky! This is definitely a dark, growly, smoky, feral scent - extremely sexy, under the right circumstances. Exactly as it says on the tin (which I just mistyped as "sin" - hello, Freudian slip!) - filthy. Aggressive and definitely not office-appropriate. My SO said he got something dark and foresty in addition to the patch.

Dry: Pretty linear. The vetiver chills way way out, and I can now definitely pick up on those amazing vegetal notes, but other than that, it pretty much just gets softer and gentler over time. After eight or nine hours, it finally burns down to this lovely, mellow, sweet-ish patch; it's almost honeyed but not quite.

Wow, this was an Experience! It came on a lot stronger than I'd anticipated (although, given that we're talking both vetiver and patchouli here, I don't know why I was surprised), but also ended up a lot mellower than I would have thought.

Sweet baby cheeses, this is filthy, feral, and frightening! I am a proud member of BPAL’s Stinky Hippie family, but this one made me recoil a bit at first because you put it on, lean in for a sniff, and it slams itself right up on you like being hit with a face full of mud from the bog of eternal stench.

Once I recovered from that initial assault, after about 15 minutes, I leaned in again and it’s still gnarly and fierce but not quite as terrifying. Half an hour later and it’s mellowed out and gone all warm and snuggly and earthy - still filthy, but in a good way.

This is really quite lovely, and it definitely deserves a place at the Stinky Hippie family table.