Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Slate Black Clouds Tumbled Over Eden

Clouds massing east of Eden: a rapidly darkening sky blasted by thundercrack of ozone, blast of cold, black rain, punctuated by a thin flicker of amber.

I don't really tend towards ozones or aquatics (as they often turn to soap on my skin), but something about this one was calling to me. 

For the first half hour, it smells of cold water full of soap suds, the ozone gives it an electric sharpness, and there's a hint of earthiness (like black potting soil) and a warm, nutty amber.  It's soapy, but it also really does smell like black clouds, cold rain, and a storm rolling in.  It comes off as pleasantly clean, but with an edge of darkness and a sharp jolt of electricity.  An angry, feisty sort of clean.

After a half hour, this is less soapy and smells very much like the scent of cold raindrops falling on to a hot summer sidewalk.  Clean, slightly green, a hint of citrusy ozone, and that earthy-industrial concrete smell.

I really thought that this was going to be a bad blind buy for me, but I love it.

Edited by Little Bird

Ozone, cold rain and whiff of amber. It dries down to ozone, cold rain, and a whiff of thunder. This is a nice clean, aquatic. Gender neutral. Very wearable. Good throw and wear length.

I'm always intrigued by thunderstorm scents, but most aquatics go to Soaptown on me, sadly, this one is not an exception.

Beneath the strong soap/dryer sheet cloud, I get some of the things Little Bird mentioned in their review: a twang of earthiness (I thought vetiver), cold rain, and concrete. And I really enjoy the cold rain and concrete aspects of the scent. But the ozone is really strong, and well, SOAPY on me. It softens somewhat after a few hours, it's still a main player on me (although the rain note has gained strength by this point). In the background, there's a touch of warm amber, but it's waaaay behind the cloud of ozone and rain.

This is a nice, clean aquatic scent for those whose skin chemistry does better with aquatics (and ozone in particular).

A storm, gathering on the horizon all afternoon has with boom and bluster, announced its arrival, as torrential rain begins to rattle and splatter against the windows. Placing a clean, earthenware pitcher in the far corner of your darkened kitchen, you watch a slow trickle, drop by drop, suspend and fall with an inaudible swish and a soft clink from that rotted, sagging spot on your roof. These cold droplets smell chilled, earthy, and electric. As a shriek of lightning splits the sky in two, you inhale the comforting scent of yeast rolls browning in the oven. They only have a few minutes left on the timer; you send a small hope skyward that they finish baking before the power goes out. Slate Black Clouds Tumbled Over Eden, interestingly, smells like all of these things.

I was feeling like I was taking a huge risk on a blind buy with a bunch of untried notes. Ozone and rain? I had no idea what to expect. Glad I gave it a go, though!

Moody, cold, ozone (yes, definitely ozone now that it hits my nose!) bringing threat of lightning, absolutely like a dark storm gathering in the distance - with a hesitant earthy base, like potting soil and concrete that hasn’t yet been touched by the rain. This is fascinating, very different from what I'm used to, and is going to be fantastic when the mood (and weather) is right.

Edited by crow-toes

I think the amber amps in this one a bit for me, as this doesn't come across as a cold rain to me, more like a humid summer rain. I really enjoy it! It's different than other aquatics I have, even ones that have a vaguely warmer tone from say, ambergris. Ozone-y, clean but warm from the amber (maybe some black musk too?). I agree there's something reminiscent of rain hitting hot pavement, a bit like the touch of asphalt in Waiting. Absolutely lovely!