Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Christmas Pudding Redux

Black Phoenix’s 2018 blob of Christmas Pudding is loosely based on a medieval recipe, and is crafted, as tradition dictates, from thirteen ingredients (representing Christ and his apostles, natch). Thick with treacle, smoky with suet (suet accord, sillies – there’s no mutton fat in this perfume!), and sweet with stirred custard.

Oh damn, did I not review this one? According to my notes this one was a cake-pudding (definitely get that custard thing going on!), with molasses (fine, it's treacle) and spice. It was what I would consider a Christmas Pudding/Cake smell. Good throw and wear length.

Wet: ... Potpourri. This smells just like a potpourri my grandma used to have. I wouldn't say it's foodie at all. Huh.

Dry: Honestly, still potpourri. I can't really get over that smell memory. I still wouldn't describe this as a foodie scent, though it may have foodie spices. Foodie potpourri, maybe? Still, not for me.

In the decant, I smell plum and custard.

On me, those are the standout notes as well. This is a plummy custard scent, with more plum than custard, with some treacle that becomes more noticeable with wear. I didn't get much spice from this, which is odd, because I usually amp them.

It's not something I would wear, as I am not particularly fond of plum scents, but it's a tolerable plum thanks to the prominence of the custard and treacle. I'm glad I got to try it, though, since I apparently never tried it the first time around!