Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
LizziesLuck

Seven Word Story: Greed

The subject of our latest #BPAL7wordstory contest was Greed. The winning entry was submitted by Melanie C:

Killed the last rhino for its horn.

Ambergris accord, orris root, and carrot seed.

Wow, no one has reviewed this yet??

I ADORE carrot seed and I love ambergris, so I had to give this a go, despite orris almost always smelling terrible on me.

Wet: Gorgeous glittering carrot seed (Don't ask me why it smells glittery, I don't know). With musky, slightly watery ambergris and powdery orris. The orris isn't too terrible here yet, somehow the powderiness kind of works? But really I would much prefer it without it. I want a carrot seed single note.

Dry: This settles and comes together beautifully and is really pretty stunning. The carrot seed is dominant but backed nicely by the ambergris, which becomes really smooth and mellow. The orris just adds some vague slightly powdery, slightly creamy sweetness. I only got a decant in a bottle of this, and will likely want more, so I am glad these seem to be GC for the meantime! LOVE that carrot seed!

Carrot seed and ambergris. This is a slightly watery ambergris with some powdery orris showing up. It's a very cool powdery blend on me. Good throw and wear length.

i love the lab's ambergris, and this scent shows it off more purely than any other scent I've had the privilege to try (missed out on the SN alas)

beautiful sparkly ambergris with a touch of herbal carrot seed. I like powdery orris, and while I'm sure that the orris does temper some of the watery/syrupy/liquid qualities of the other two notes, this blend isn't dusty or dry or powdery at all. it's very pretty and I love it. also appreciate the heartbreak of the winning story. thank you, beth and mel c! nice throw and last for hours and hours. just what greed-mongers appreciate.

7 Word Story: Greed

In the bottle: Strange, disconcerting ambergris. I'm not familiar enough with orris yet to be able to say, "That's definitely what I'm smelling!" Through the process of elimination, though, maybe that light, powdery geranium vibe I'm getting is it? No carrot seed.

Wet: Odd. Just... I can tell I applied perfume, but it kinda just smells like skin amplified.

Dry down: I looooooooove carrot seed, and it is just blooming on my skin! Yay! The combination is sweet, sharp, powdery, and buttery. Oh, I like this! My first experience with carrot seed was Pulmonary Valve, and I've wanted all the carrot seed since.

Dry: The ambergris warms the carrot seed. This scent kind of... billows. I'm guessing it's the orris that gives you that powdery poof on the backsniff.

I'm not sure I love it as much as Pulmonary Valve, I'd have to try them back to back, but it's definitely a keeper!

I'm not a huge fan of carrot seed, but I like the other notes, so I thought I'd give this a shot.

Wet: Carrot seed and ambregris. Something about this is almost chocolatey and woody, which I'm guessing is the carrot seed.

Drydown: Orris, ambregris, and some carrot seed. It's warm and slightly woody in a sweet (ish) way.

30 minutes in: The orris overtakes the scent, and it's woody/powdery with just a touch of ambregris continuing to keep it warm. This remains very orris forward to the point it's almost orris SN on me. Overall, this is mainly a dry scent with just a tiny bit of powder. I think the mid to base are the best parts. It's stark, and I wish I got a bit more ambregris. Hopefully aging will bring it out. Wear time is several hours, and this is totally unisex.

4 out of 5 stars.

Honestly a little puzzled by this one! I wasn't very familiar with any of the three ingredients, so I knew I was in for an adventure. Both in the bottle and when I first put it on my immediate association was baby powder. For more detail, it's a kind of faintly aquatic, powdery scent with the barest touch of what I'm going to describe as a root kind of smell? Not quite earthy, but close enough. Very clean. Not how I'd describe baby powder exactly, but somehow it's quite similar.

This one stays close to the skin and in many ways results in a "skin amplified" kind of scent. I imagine this will be great for layering. In short, I do like it; it's subtle and inoffensive. As an aside, I also really enjoy the seven word story; so tragic and evocative.